Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

The AI Smoke 7W. What a gem of a club.

Got to hit outside a bit!! Just so much easier than attempting a 4H or long iron. I had a choice of this OR a 5W in the bag. The versatility won out.
This post will talk about hitting from the rough a bit.
As a short hitter, there’s nothing getting me home from 180+ yards away from any lie but the fairway.

This club is Amazing so far from the short rough. It has a low enough profile to feel like a cheat ALA the old “tight lies” clubs of days past without looking like it will slide under the ball because it’s so thin and the added weight that those had.
This is weighted really well so that even a low to moderate swing gets through the rough without having to work at it.
I’ve really grown to like the “smoke” pattern on all of the clubs but this one is really striking in its chrome and grey feel.

View attachment 9250724
I'm 100% with you, love the versatility of the 7W. It's a great club off the fairway or out of light rough, and I also won't hesitate to use it off the tee on long par 3s. It's a fun club because it's so easy to hit, and it's forgiving enough that I almost always get a good result from it.

Got to hit outside a bit!! Just so much easier than attempting a 4H or long iron. I had a choice of this OR a 5W in the bag. The versatility won out.
As a short hitter, there’s nothing getting me home from 180+ yards away from any lie but the fairway.

This club is Amazing so far from the short rough. It has a low enough profile to feel like a cheat ALA the old “tight lies” clubs of days past without looking like it will slide under the ball because it’s so thin and the added weight that those had.
This is weighted really well so that even a low to moderate swing gets through the rough without having to work at it.
I’ve really grown to like the “smoke” pattern on all of the clubs but this one is really striking in its chrome and grey feel.
I have the same setup - 3HL and 7W. I discussed a 5W with the Callaway rep. He thought that I hit the 7W so well that the 3HL and 7 would work for me without a need for a 5.

Last edited:
I have the same setup - 3HL and 7W. I discussed a 5W with the Callaway rep. He thought that I hit the 7W so well that the 3HL and 7 would work for me without a need for a 5.
They really care about personalizing the club for the player. Thats a perfect example. “X club is something you are hitting really well, don’t worry about the traditional gapping and hit YOUR best golf shot”

I'm 100% with you, love the versatility of the 7W. It's a great club off the fairway or out of light rough, and I also won't hesitate to use it off the tee on long par 3s. It's a fun club because it's so easy to hit, and it's forgiving enough that I almost always get a good result from it.
Cannot wait to hit it off the tee. I don’t think I’ve ever done that. Really. There’s been so many good things said about it off the tee that I really have to.

That is a tough call for sure. I like the 65g because I know I might be hitting from less than optimal surfaces. Though AI smoke is stupidly forgiving, the extra heft and stability in the shaft should help with the way I plan on using this club.
When you say plan on using, are you referring to playing it out of less than ideal lies or ?

I also have my eye on the 3HL. I think the hywood is a different beast, and I actually used to hit a Cobra F9 3W pretty well a few years back.

When you say plan on using, are you referring to playing it out of less than ideal lies or ?

I also have my eye on the 3HL. I think the hywood is a different beast, and I actually used to hit a Cobra F9 3W pretty well a few years back.
Yes, less than ideal. Almost want to use it as a rescue and take more risks in the game this season. I really think this can do it

The Ai Smoke TD 5 wood has been really good for me. This spot in the bag is used almost exclusively as a second shot club on par 5s. I used it for that purpose 3 times in my round yesterday. I hit it 234, 243 and 230 (uphill) yards on these three shots, giving me birdie looks all three times. This is right where I want this club in my bag to be distance-wise. The fun thing is that I also seem to be able to flight this club a bit, producing a low boring trajectory or a high, soft descent. If my current 3 wood were not cemented into my bag, I definitely would look closely at a TD 3 wood to go with the 5 wood.

IMG_6555.pngIMG_6556.pngIMG_6557.png

The Ai Smoke TD 5 wood has been really good for me. This spot in the bag is used almost exclusively as a second shot club on par 5s. I used it for that purpose 3 times in my round yesterday. I hit it 234, 243 and 230 (uphill) yards on these three shots, giving me birdie looks all three times. This is right where I want this club in my bag to be distance-wise. The fun thing is that I also seem to be able to flight this club a bit, producing a low boring trajectory or a high, soft descent. If my current 3 wood were not cemented into my bag, I definitely would look closely at a TD 3 wood to go with the 5 wood.

View attachment 9250937View attachment 9250938View attachment 9250939
Holy consistency Batman. Thats crazy. Were you gaming a 5w before?

Holy consistency Batman. Thats crazy. Were you gaming a 5w before?
I have had a 5 wood, strong 5 or 4 wood in the bag for years. Sometimes, I also have been playing a 17* UW in that slot. I still own a 17* UW. However, at my club speed, I have found a deeper faced, lower spinning 5 wood the best way to go. I owned the Paradym Triple Diamond. It was great and I saw no need to upgrade. In fact, I thought it would be a step back, because last year’s Paradym TD 5 has an adjustable hosel. However, I tested them both on a launch monitor and could see that the new Smoke AI is slightly more forgiving on misses across the face laterally, so I made the switch. As you mention, this head is extremely consistent.

View attachment 9250724
I didn't realize the 7W has no smoke pattern on the sole (non-adjustable). The Callaway site doesn't show it pictured that way (when that head is chosen on the selector).

Really a sharp looking club. Love the look without the smoke.

View attachment 9250937View attachment 9250938View attachment 9250939
Fantastic consistency. I’m seeing about a 10 yard spread myself, it that seems really dialed in for you. The 3HL this weekend as a bombing machine. Easy smooth swings produced a solid 210 yards distance (205-215 range). Just fantastic off the fairway or tee for me

I don't know if there are any clubs in the bag currently that I am more excited to eventually get to use outdoors than the 5W and Heavenwood.

I am not a fan of hitting off mats in general, I honestly don't think I will ever see the true potential of the woods until I hit these outdoors off grass. Really looking forward to re-discovering how they interact with the turf (I've never hit this HW outdoors as I didn't have it in CA). Loved hitting them outdoors in California, and hoping that carries over here when we can finally get outside.

But my goodness I love the sounds these woods make when you hit them good. The 5W and HW sound completely different, but both have uniquely different acoustics when you hit them well. They just absolutely sing when you hit them properly, its a sound that I just want to keep hearing more and more of.

I didn't realize the 7W has no smoke pattern on the sole (non-adjustable). The Callaway site doesn't show it pictured that way (when that head is chosen on the selector).

Really a sharp looking club. Love the look without the smoke.
I believe that the 3w and 3w HL are adjustable in this release and all of the higher lofted fairway woods are bonded. This is one of the factors that made me hesitant to trade in my Paradym 5 TD for the new Smoke AI 5 TD, but in the end, I am glad that I did.

Last edited:
I don’t need but I really want an 11 wood.

During yesterday's round, my buddy asked to hit my Ai Smoke 7W. He's not hitting his hybrids well and has been considering making a change. He smoked his first shot with it and commented on how easy it is to hit. He borrowed it for a couple more shots later in the round and they were good results too - one of them was a little fat and on the toe side, but it still flew straight and got good distance, which I think impressed him even more than the other shots he hit cleanly. He's ordering one and it will be kicking the 4H out of his bag.

one of them was a little fat and on the toe side, but it still flew straight and got good distance, which I think impressed him even more than the other shots he hit cleanly
This perks my ears up...

During yesterday's round, my buddy asked to hit my Ai Smoke 7W. He's not hitting his hybrids well and has been considering making a change. He smoked his first shot with it and commented on how easy it is to hit. He borrowed it for a couple more shots later in the round and they were good results too - one of them was a little fat and on the toe side, but it still flew straight and got good distance, which I think impressed him even more than the other shots he hit cleanly. He's ordering one and it will be kicking the 4H out of his bag.
As I’ve stated, it only took me around 3 swings to settle on the Max D. It was so easy to hit.

I should probably leave well enough alone with how well I'm hitting the 5W, but I've been hard pondering a 3HL cut down 1/4-1/2" to play as a 4W. Need to get some time to see what the gap is between my 5W and 3H.

Tell him welcome to the dark side. The 7w is a great weapon out there.

View attachment 9252310

Wasn’t swinging the best today but loving what I’m seeing so far. If I can get that consistency right, it’ll be a great second option off the tee. Love how low flighted it is off tee and turf
I am a big fan of the trajectory as well. Keeps it lower, which is what I’m after.

I should probably leave well enough alone with how well I'm hitting the 5W, but I've been hard pondering a 3HL cut down 1/4-1/2" to play as a 4W. Need to get some time to see what the gap is between my 5W and 3H.
The strange thing for me at my fitting was that we just couldn’t get the 3W to work. We tried different heads and the 3HL was close. But when we started lofting it up and shortening the shaft for better control, it basically was a strong 5W. Then again, we went down to 4H due to gapping so the 3HL to 3 hybrid might make sense.

I am loving the 5W. I do have a pretty big gap between it and Driver, but I am sure more consistent in distance and direction than with my old 3W

Back