Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

I wanted to take a minute and discuss something that I was very curious about heading into the Ai Smoke irons coming from Apex and Paradym last year among a few other sets. I was curious about the feel. While I am not uber sensitive to it, when you test as much as I do, sound is just a thing that stands out. I felt as though the Paradym lineup of irons last year were some of the best feeling they have produced in a while. Just loved the impact sound and each time I hit them, I had this craving to hit more. That is kind of the measuring stick for me, especially indoors where it is amplified.

I had concerns that Ai Smoke being slightly larger or cast or just a different design I would have a drop off, and frankly I am just not seeing it. They sound good. A nice crack at impact and they feel superb. Playing them with the same shafts and grips I did last year and while on the course last week, I felt confident, partly because I know where I am missing on the face, and know that when hit well, they just feel "right".

Am I the only one thinking this? Or does everybody kind of agree?
I feel the same about them. I spent a little time with @Doubleb21 ’s Paradym. Ai Smoke feel the same ay I remember on center strikes. Which is to say … very very good.

I've spent some time this week talking about the performance side, but can I take a moment to discuss how beautiful these irons are? They look so good to my eye. The AI Smoke aren't "chunky" near the ball, in fact, they are slimmer than last year's Paradym. Similarly, they are slightly shorter from heel to toe than the Paradym irons. That makes them feel more player-ish without looking unforgiving.

I can imagine Callaway's R&D obsessing over every single mm of material when making these. I think they did a fantastic job blending the look between what someone like me would want from game improvement irons with what someone may want from a better player's iron. These aren't blades, don't get me wrong, but in the category of game improvement irons, I've not seen any other irons that can toe that line as well between game improvement and player's distance.

Man, my putter wasn’t great today, but my irons were en fuego. I had a number of make-able birdie putts. Loving these irons and now that the temps are getting in 70’s, I am getting better distance. A couple of doubles, but nothing to do with these irons. Really starting to trust the distance and shape and loving them.IMG_0258.png

The feel on center strikes is phenomenal. I can definitely tell when I don’t hit the center even if results don’t show it.

The feel on center strikes is phenomenal. I can definitely tell when I don’t hit the center even if results don’t show it.
Are you seeing the slightly higher initial launch that I am with these?

Are you seeing the slightly higher initial launch that I am with these?
Definitely. I am hitting these high and long. High enough that I am playing Callaway Supersofts right now and don’t worry about holding greens unless it is 5i/4H.

Absolutely loving them now that I trust the fade. It is just hard going from a set where you see a draw and then move to a set and trusting a fade.

Had to order a smoke HL to try with the 50% bump on trade ins, can't wait to give it a shot, if it's anything like what I'm seeing out the driver, this thing is going to be fantastic!

Hit the 7 iron several times on the course. First time seeing the actual ball fly with it instead of into a net. Very impressive.

I’ve shown comparisons of the AI Smoke and Paradym but I thought it would be good to expand it out a bit. Many people say Mizuno might be the standard when it comes to a players distance profile. Well, I think AI Smoke is a solid contender when it comes to profile

The sole of the AI Smoke and HMP 923 look very similar in with (the Smoke is slightly smaller)

The AI smoke is slimmer at address as well

IMG_9100.jpeg

Ai Smoke is on the left and HMP 923 on the right.

I think they are very very close but I prefer the AI Smoke myself!

A little snippet of Saturday's monitor work with the PW. Keep in mind this is working on a new grip, and I was struggling.

1000017358.jpg

A dozen easy warm up swings, and then switch over to gather some info on "real" swings (swings where I am not concentrating on technique or anything, just swinging).

Excuse the mashup of random stats, looking mainly at carry, ball speed, and a bit at descent.

Consistently higher ball speed than prior clubs, better carry ( to the tune of almost 20 yards) than I would have seen off my old irons. Tons of confidence, even when looking down at the tiny Smoke PW.

Plenty more work to do, get more familiar with the grip, and how my swing is working, but really encouraged so far. #SpringMightComeSoon

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
One of the surprises for me in this set has been the set wedges. It could be that I had gotten used to not chipping around the green with my last set wedges because of the length, but boy, using the 46 degree AW to run some in low has been something great for my game. I don't miss anything playing the set 50 degree (GW) versus the specialty 50 degree I played last year.

One of the surprises for me in this set has been the set wedges. It could be that I had gotten used to not chipping around the green with my last set wedges because of the length, but boy, using the 46 degree AW to run some in low has been something great for my game. I don't miss anything playing the set 50 degree (GW) versus the specialty 50 degree I played last year.
While I really like the wedges, and they are extremely good for me with bump and run chipping around the green, I'm loving the longer irons. The trap I've constantly fought with other irons is being long enough to gap properly and creating enough spin to hold the greens. I generally have seen with the Paradyms, for example, that they fit the right launch window and provide what I need in terms of distance, but a 6i into the green will run off the back for me. A 7i landing toward the front I can hold (though it will be in the back of the green).

The AI Smoke irons have little issue at all holding the green. Even my long irons are frequently generating 500-600 more RPMs on launch monitors than the Paradym comparable irons. This translates for me to 7i holding the front half of the green and 6i and even 5i holding the green on decent strikes!

I agree wholeheartedly. The Ai Smoke HL AW has become my default club for bump and run type chips where I have no need to loft the ball over anything. I can adjust ball position in my stance to bring it in higher or lower, and I'm having a much higher success rate than trying to hit those shots with a specialty wedge.

I don’t change hybrids often once I find a make up that works, especially in my 4H spot, I have had an Apex 21 4H off and on for years.

I replaced it with a LTDx hybrid for about a year, but this Apex 21 tends to find a way back into my bag. There is a lot to like about that club, from the shape and the Recoil Dart Hybrid shaft that it has in it. I was really hopeful that I could hold out until the next version of the standard Apex hybrid for an upgrade. But this release cycle came and went without a launch of a standard Apex offering.

The feedback on the Paradym Ai-Smoke in this thread has me in full ponder mode. Keep holding out for the next Apex line or upgrade with a Paradym Ai-Smoke?

I don’t change hybrids often once I find a make up that works, especially in my 4H spot, I have had an Apex 21 4H off and on for years.

I replaced it with a LTDx hybrid for about a year, but this Apex 21 tends to find a way back into my bag. There is a lot to like about that club, from the shape and the Recoil Dart Hybrid shaft that it has in it. I was really hopeful that I could hold out until the next version of the standard Apex hybrid for an upgrade. But this release cycle came and went without a launch of a standard Apex offering.

The feedback on the Paradym Ai-Smoke in this thread has me in full ponder mode. Keep holding out for the next Apex line or upgrade with a Paradym Ai-Smoke?
pull the trigger.

you can test later when an Apex model is released.

I cannot compare the new 4H to the Apex 21, but it replaced my LTDx 4H that I really liked. I launch this one higher and just as far. I really love it.

I cannot compare the new 4H to the Apex 21, but it replaced my LTDx 4H that I really liked. I launch this one higher and just as far. I really love it.
That is high praise, that LTDx hybrid was a good one.

That is high praise, that LTDx hybrid was a good one.
Indeed. I really liked the LTDx 4H. It is the first hybrid I tried after King Tec that I didn’t hook. I don’t worry about the smoke going left. Also, I am hitting more greens with this than my 5i/6i. It has me contemplating adding another. Disregard the name of this club in arccos: it is the new ai-smoke 4H. You can still see my right aim bias protecting against the hook 😂
IMG_0297.png

Indeed. I really liked the LTDx 4H. It is the first hybrid I tried after King Tec that I didn’t hook. I don’t worry about the smoke going left. Also, I am hitting more greens with this than my 5i/6i. It has me contemplating adding another. Disregard the name of this club in arccos: it is the new ai-smoke 4H.
View attachment 9247282
I appreciate this, it helps those of us in ponder mode.

Smoke irons are dusted off and put in the bag ready for travel to the Goat Cup.
Feeling pretty darn good with them and excited to see how well they work for me

I've never played the Apex so I don't have a comparison, but I don't think the Ai Smoke hybrids would disappoint you. The shape looks really good at address (as does the matte crown), and it's maybe the straightest flying hybrid I've ever hit. It doesn't make you work hard for a good shot.

The AI Smoke hybrids won't disappoint for sure! But i like the option of buying now AND testing later :cool:

I don't know if @JB is bringing the Ai Smoke hybrids to the Goat Cup, but it might be worth poking around in his bag if he does.

I am loving the shape of the Smoke irons. I'm needing a new driving iron this year (if I feel like spending the money) and I feel like a Smoke 4i should be it. The shape is honestly the biggest thing to me. I have a Big Bertha 23 iron that is just wayyyyyyyy too big to feel comfortable. Because of that, I don't hit it very well or get it very high in the air. Before I bought that, I had a Cobra Radspeed 4i in the bag because I need that forgiveness instead of a set 4i. But it was a smaller profile and it kept me comfortable. Moving to the Smoke 4i should be my next step here. You guys are making these irons sound automatic and the fact that they FEEL good as well is a huge plus.

Back