Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

You absolutely should. It fits whatever release/swing/contact you have. The sound was very nice as well. I paid close attention to it and it wasn't high pitched.
It’s going to do well for you.

Went out to get a 24 degree hybrid today and ended up with this in 21 degrees. The reason so... I have 2 sets of gamer irons. Apex Pro Series CB and the Apex 21 standard. The 24 degree hybrid turned down was the same as my 5 iron just slightly higher flight. The 21 degree gaps well with that set and fills out the bag. The 21 turned up to 23 puts the CB 4 iron on the shelf and fills in the gaps accordingly. I have to adjust the lofts between sets but thats the beauty of adjustable hosels.

Yep, these hybrids are pretty darn good. Hit a few with the HL and the Standard and the ball just rockets off the face. The HL was really nice.

I can see why so many of you have been saying the hybrids are the sleeper of the release. I might need to go see what extra clubs I have laying around that I can sell or trade in to fund one of these :D

HL 3 Hybrid
IMG_2833.jpeg

Standard 3 hybrid
IMG_2840.jpeg

Yesterday at golf galaxy i hit the smoke 5 hybrid 15 yards farther than the qi10. No brainer. Smoke and smoke HL performed very similar for me.

Put some "smoke" on the 4H today. Going to have to dial it back just a little may go up 2 degrees to blend with the standard Apex and just account for it with the CBs.

All this HL love has me curious to spend some time with them

The standard launches really easy. Hit it a couple times today on course and got some great results

You also make rain when you golf so…. 😂
This was effortless. My regret is not having a 21, 24 and 27 for last week. :) I'll get a 24 at least to take the 5 iron out and that way I can enjoy the greatness of the Apex CB short irons

HLs are fun. Easy to hit, effortless to get in the air, and very forgiving. I also like the improvements in dispersion, I need all the help I can get there.

Yep, these hybrids are pretty darn good. Hit a few with the HL and the Standard and the ball just rockets off the face. The HL was really nice.

I can see why so many of you have been saying the hybrids are the sleeper of the release. I might need to go see what extra clubs I have laying around that I can sell or trade in to fund one of these :D

HL 3 Hybrid
View attachment 9249203

Standard 3 hybrid
View attachment 9249337
How do these compare with the last hybrids you used? Obviously those are lasers! Were you seeing that before as well?

How do these compare with the last hybrids you used? Obviously those are lasers! Were you seeing that before as well?
I have a Ping G410 3 hybrid in the bag right now and definitely don’t see anywhere near that kind of distance. The Ai Smoke are easily carrying 15 yards further. I only hit a handful with each of the Ai Smokes, but even on the mishits, the distance was still really good and mishits on the Ai Smoke were probably on par with good strikes with my gamer. It was nice seeing the added launch and height with the HL as I struggle from time to time with height.

HL 3 Hybrid
View attachment 9249203

Standard 3 hybrid
View attachment 9249337
Wait until you hit the 4,5,or 6 HL hybrids. The club collection for trade in will be down to zero.

Yes.you should. It won’t take much time to fall in love with them.

I swear, the way this season is going, I think that a hybrid is at the top of shopping list.

I need something for the days when I am not hitting a FW Wood well, and with a 4i probably not being a smart idea, a hybrid fits the bill. HL maybe, whatever just lets me put a good swing on it and keep it straightish.

If there was ever a day I needed my 3 hybrid that was yesterday’s tour event. Unfortunately was having a real tough day with the driver and 3 wood and the 3 hybrid stepped up off the tee to give me a real chance. It was finding fairways when nothing else could and at the very least keeping me in play off the tee.

If there was ever a day I needed my 3 hybrid that was yesterday’s tour event. Unfortunately was having a real tough day with the driver and 3 wood and the 3 hybrid stepped up off the tee to give me a real chance. It was finding fairways when nothing else could and at the very least keeping me in play off the tee.
Did they both get put away for the day?
If so was there ever a tee shot followed by an off the turf shot next with the 3H?

I swear, the way this season is going, I think that a hybrid is at the top of shopping list.

I need something for the days when I am not hitting a FW Wood well, and with a 4i probably not being a smart idea, a hybrid fits the bill. HL maybe, whatever just lets me put a good swing on it and keep it straightish.
Just do it Brad! The hybrids are the underrated story for me in this line. They are long, forgiving bombers that I can even hold greens with. This is the first set of hybrids that I am comfortable attacking a green and feeling like I could hold a green...they are totally worthy of a hard look (and even a blind purchase or two!)

@Scooby45 mentioned the HL version of these. I have some questions now that he got the wheels turning.

I am playing the CB irons. When I'm hot, they are well... When not, as you can imagine the struggle is real. I displayed it last week at its finest.. good and bad.

I just got the 4H and will play it at 23 degrees. Its slightly over 200 carry on a "normal" swing. I can get it to 215 if I turn it over.

The 5H at 24 degrees. I'm really considering this at 26 degrees (love the adjustability in this part of the bag.) but would there be any benifit in the HL head at this position just to increase stopping power? I have no issue getting the ball in the air.

Wait until you hit the 4,5,or 6 HL hybrids. The club collection for trade in will be down to zero.
What about the HL hybrids? Did you consider a 4H? I see from your signature that you go from the Max D 7w to a 5H That's where I'm currently at but I'm wondering about the gapping between the 7w and my 5H.

Got to hit the HL, fast, and regular. Had the elevate 95 and 2 other shafts but the elevate again won our. Regular felt the best, the fast was the longest, and HL with my swing was just too high. I liked the regular most but would loose a couple of yards in distance but that is okay. Also tried the qi10 and did not like that iron at all. Here is a fast vs a qi 10.

Also that's my goat cup bag, rogue st max in it, and a Callaway weather spann glove too. I might have a Callaway problem 😂c7745618-1bb6-42e4-8246-9b3c990468e4 (3).jpg

Last edited:
First round with my ai smoke irons today.
Good lord am I smitten. High piercing flight, but could control trajectory when needed.
Forgiving, but always felt controlled. These are legit
How did they compare to the Paradym HB's? Thank you

Just do it Brad! The hybrids are the underrated story for me in this line. They are long, forgiving bombers that I can even hold greens with. This is the first set of hybrids that I am comfortable attacking a green and feeling like I could hold a green...they are totally worthy of a hard look (and even a blind purchase or two!)
Completely agree here. The shaping fits my eye, the sound is perfect and they just GOOOOOO!
I used it 3-4 times a round at Briggs Ranch last week for the THP Event and don't think I hit a bad shot with them. I carry the 4 hybrid and it has really turned into a weapon.

Did they both get put away for the day?
If so was there ever a tee shot followed by an off the turf shot next with the 3H?
So the driver got put away except a driver off the deck late round from 281 out of the rough that ended up on to a elevated green with drop offs guarding it (One of the best shots I’ve ever hit.) Really had no choice as the course was very narrow. The three wood I hit a few times but the result wasn’t much better. Just wasn’t there yesterday. Given I was topping the leaderboard for quite awhile I had to make a judgement call to put the big dogs away as much as I didn’t want to.

I actually did do that on par 5s. On a normal day that would have been ok but we had terrible wind swirling so it was taking distance off and just our luck the wind was basically coming right at us. Kind of a no win situation. Other lose some distance or maybe be off the hole completely. But considering the situation it worked out well. 225-30 ish off the tee then another 220-225 lay up. Pretty dang funny when you start your own one club challenge in the middle of a tournament lol.

Back