Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

I don't know about edges, but big picture theory...it's easier to throw a ping pong ball through a hoop than a basketball.

Of course this ball is so slightly incrementally bigger than a standard ball that the effect should be negligible. And the benefits from that incremental size difference way outweigh any putting effects for the ball's target audience.

You're right there is an effect, but it's small. That said statistically over time small things add up.

It's also a very light ball. It was made lighter due to it's larger size. Anyone game these this past weekend? Only white is available at Dicks and GG.

It's also a very light ball. It was made lighter due to it's larger size. Anyone game these this past weekend? Only white is available at Dicks and GG.

Aren't they technically the same weight at a normal size ball and only considered "lighter" because of the volume size of the ball being 3% larger at the same weight?

I just picked up a dozen yellow at the Edwin Watts store in the Villages Florida. They have white and yellow in stock.

I have now played 27 holes with this ball. Absolutely love it. Best is feel and flight off the irons. This is playing on soggy ground with little grass. Did not lose any distance off tee. Ball also has held up well no scuffs or dings yet. Can still move left or right to some degree. Granted does not check on short chips but I know that prior to chipping.

Great! I can see this as a great winter ball due to a lower compression or due to the wetter/less grass condition. The over size will offset the winter conditions. Are they easier to hit?

I picked a dozen last Tuesday. It is a bigger ball. I only played a few holes as rain came in. Hole 1 par 5 I blocked the tee shot with the driver ( not unusual - my normal miss ) and lost the ball. Dropped from the rough near the hazard and smoked a straight 7i and Wedge to the green.

All of 2019 I have putted with the flag stick in 100% of the time (25 rounds so far according to my Arccos data). I rolled the ball off to the hole from 4 feet and was able to get the larger ball to bounce off the flag stick. I was also able to get it to bounce off and not drop in with three test putts ( obviously a little firmer putt ). Granted rain was coming and the wind was blowing. Again I have played with flag stick in 100% in this year, and with some windy nor’easters blowing.

For me I gave the remaining balls away, as I couldn’t be confident putting with this ball with the flagstick in.

I read the data extensively about the flag stick diameter, hole diameter and ball diameter and the difference with larger diameter flagsticks. Perhaps the larger ball diameter causes it to glance off and not allow gravity to drop it in the hole.

I picked a dozen last Tuesday. It is a bigger ball. I only played a few holes as rain came in. Hole 1 par 5 I blocked the tee shot with the driver ( not unusual - my normal miss ) and lost the ball. Dropped from the rough near the hazard and smoked a straight 7i and Wedge to the green.

All of 2019 I have putted with the flag stick in 100% of the time (25 rounds so far according to my Arccos data). I rolled the ball off to the hole from 4 feet and was able to get the larger ball to bounce off the flag stick. I was also able to get it to bounce off and not drop in with three test putts ( obviously a little firmer putt ). Granted rain was coming and the wind was blowing. Again I have played with flag stick in 100% in this year, and with some windy nor’easters blowing.

For me I gave the remaining balls away, as I couldn’t be confident putting with this ball with the flagstick in.

I read the data extensively about the flag stick diameter, hole diameter and ball diameter and the difference with larger diameter flagsticks. Perhaps the larger ball diameter causes it to glance off and not allow gravity to drop it in the hole.

If the balls works then maybe take the flag out when putting ? For most of my rounds I play by myself and even Prior to the rule change for pace of play I simply would leave the flag in when putting. If I thought the ball was more of an advantage over leaving the flag in I’d take it out and keep playing the ball.

Hey guys,

Got a dozen yellow in the post today. Unfortunately I'll not see daylight until the weekend but thought a few pics might still be useful.
2228e2d99204e8a673f9aec5727b69c1.jpg
bb2d11375faf87450138f3ab72ee8df5.jpg
c9d34d7e0e2f07aef335d29fd75e516a.jpg
a6c2ecb8b9f847ad3e28f2403045b8da.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Purchased a dozen yellow Callaway Magna balls from PGA Superstore Schaumburg. Got a chance to play 9 holes in cold this weekend to try them out. Results were excellent, ball went very long (no roll in the permafrost tundra/tee only went in the ground only about a 1/4 inch!)and some of my slice curve turned into a soft fade or straight. Balls played well on short chips shots.

Overall they played just like the Supersoft balls we are all used to playing and they really looked good in front of the club face at address due to their larger size especially with fairway woods.

Great, let us know how both the Magna and ERC play. I have practiced with the Magna and recommend trying to hit the equator (mid) of the ball for shots on the fairway and tee them lower for the driver as the COG is higher. With these small changes, I have been striking the ball better and it has a better feel to them.

Any new reviews? I have just been practicing with them and I am growing more fond of the ball with every new session.

So I will dig up my side by side picture, but it’s noticeably bigger when looking compared to another ball but not outrageous. It’s perfect for my 8 year old who is just starting to play

Lol! I’ll read more but it’s hard not to just shake my head at this statement.

Found one of these on the course yesterday and hit it a bit.

Holy marshmallow Batman.

Was fun though.

is it? Why so?

A side by side of two balls with one bigger than the other....come on Phil, you live in a house full of boys...

A side by side of two balls with one bigger than the other....come on Phil, you live in a house full of boys...

Ah now I see it lol whoops. Gotta remember to use golf balls and not just balls

One must be Swol lol

One side benefit of the ball is they are easier to see and find in the fairway. At times, they have a weird feel. The jury is still out. I need some more on course time to see if they are a keeper or not.

Would be interested to see some launch monitor data on this one compared to say a normal Supersoft, an ERC and a Chrome Soft

User Reviews seem split down the middle on distance. Half say it’s the straightest ball out there but about 10 yds shorter on Avg. Other half say it’s as long as anything just bigger which may instill some confidence at address.

I got a dozen of these for free and played them last week. Front nine...all of my shots were way lower than normal. I'm still not sure why or what i was doing to cause this...interested to see if anyone else experienced this. The back nine things got better as far as ball flight. I like the feel (Supersoft) and the size bothered my playing partner more than it bothered me. I did learn quickly to take the flag out when putting....had a 15 footer hit the stick and end up on the left side of the cup. Overall, size didnt bother me at all...i made good contact with most of my shots. My putting was markedly better than normal but not sure i can attribute that to the ball. I'm planning on playing another round with them soon and maybe i'll get a better idea of what benefits i see..

Hello everyone. First Time poster here.
I want to weigh with my recent experience with the new Super Soft Magna. As background, I am a 20+ handicap, middle aged golfer with a swing speed around 90 with my Driver.
I picked up a dozen of these balls this weekend and played 27 holes with them. My first reaction with these balls was that I hit the hell out of them with my irons and my 3 wood. I probably only had 2-3 mishits this weekend with the irons, I hit a 215 yard uphill 3 wood onto the green on Saturday. That is a shot that rarely happens. With the driver, they seemed to be fairly forgiving on mishits and had good roll.
On the down side, on Sunday we played with 20-30 sustained winds. Downwind this ball went forever, drove it to the fringe at 304 yards downhill and downwind. Into that same wind was a different story. The Magna really seemed to balloon into the wind. I am a high ball hitter and came up short into the wind. I really didn't notice much of a difference putting, I typically putt with the flag out.
Overall, based on the way I hit my irons, I am going to stick with this ball for now. Will update if my experience changes.

Hit 'Em Straight

Back