Callaway Supersoft MAGNA Golf Ball Thread

Hello everyone. First Time poster here.
I want to weigh with my recent experience with the new Super Soft Magna. As background, I am a 20+ handicap, middle aged golfer with a swing speed around 90 with my Driver.
I picked up a dozen of these balls this weekend and played 27 holes with them. My first reaction with these balls was that I hit the hell out of them with my irons and my 3 wood. I probably only had 2-3 mishits this weekend with the irons, I hit a 215 yard uphill 3 wood onto the green on Saturday. That is a shot that rarely happens. With the driver, they seemed to be fairly forgiving on mishits and had good roll.
On the down side, on Sunday we played with 20-30 sustained winds. Downwind this ball went forever, drove it to the fringe at 304 yards downhill and downwind. Into that same wind was a different story. The Magna really seemed to balloon into the wind. I am a high ball hitter and came up short into the wind. I really didn't notice much of a difference putting, I typically putt with the flag out.
Overall, based on the way I hit my irons, I am going to stick with this ball for now. Will update if my experience changes.

Hit 'Em Straight

Welcome to THP. Thanks for your feedback.

I think I'm going to try this ball. It would be great for my GF !!

I've been practicing with the Magna for a few months. I've observed that it has a higher launch angle and maximum height, perhaps 10% - 15%, on chip and pitch shots and is more forgiving from a tight lie. As a result, I hit them first as a 'proof of concept' for shortgame practice shots and switch to my regular gamers after the Magnas start dropping where I want them.

I hope this is helpful.

Think twice about leaving the pin in when using these balls.

I really tried to give these balls a shot over 3 holes but my swing was horrific and I couldn’t draw any conclusion whatsoever. I also loaned one to a woman who was solidly in the player profile for the ball. She topped the magna about a foot shorter than she topped her regular ball. So this was a tester fail today. I’ll try again another time.

PLayed with a round, and enjoyed the heck out them. I am a senior golfer, with a slow swing speed that struggles to get the ball up in air. There was a noticeable difference with the irons and my ball flight. The performance from a driver felt "different" ...

Unfortunately I think they will be short lived on the market. I will definitely use magna again. It was fun watching the ball really get up in the air for me.

Is it me, or does the golf ball market seem really crowded with ball selections these days? Very confusing at times.

Anyone playing these? Seem like there was a buzz for the first 2 weeks...then radio silence.

Anyone playing these? Seem like there was a buzz for the first 2 weeks...then radio silence.

I gave them a try. Having played for 30+ years, the ball just felt weird on full strikes. Surprisingly, they were nice to chip with. I think for the intended beginner crowd, they would be an excellent choice. By know means did it feel like it was cheating. It just felt different. If a new comer to the game didn't know any better, it could be a great ball. Perhaps, a nice choice for a lady golfer too. They were very light feeling. The yellow colored ball looked good, too.

I'd like to grab some of these Magna balls for my son. Are they still a thing? Is their a newer model of these?
Not sure I've seen them for sale anywhere even.

Yes, the Max replaced the Magna. Basically, the same ball. The "ladies" pink ball is the same too. I think it is an excellent choice for a beginner who is seeking better contact.

Back