Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype Irons

But ya sean it's pretty cool that you love your irons. I wonder if it's a placebo affect kind of deal where your mind has got you doing this. Maybe you subconsiously swing better when you hit your Callaways. Haha that was random and unlikely, but either way keep enjoying the irons.
I wonder the same thing GB. That's why I still have the 2.0's.

JB, the jury is still out. I've only had one round and a few range sessions. I readily admit that the mishits go straighter with the X-Proto's. As to mishits going farther I'd have to do more testing to make a conclusive determination. But I'll be happy to take your word for it. But, the dispersion on my mishits, so far, have been tighter with the X-Proto's. I'll hit four shots with one iron, determine where the balls go, and then hit four shots with the other iron. I know, it's not very scientific but it's all I have. I went to the range today fully expecting to hit the 2.0's better...I keep thinking that what's happening with the X-Proto's is a fluke, or I got lucky that day and I can't do it again...but, that wasn't the case.

The only problem with the Adam's irons was how harsh they felt. I was very disappointed. Even when I hit the ball well they felt harsh. I still like the 2.0's, which is why I haven't put them up for sale. Not to mention that I haven't had enough time with with the X-Proto's to make a final determination. And I still say the 2.0 wedges are great and would urge anyone contemplating getting the 2.0's to give the wedges a try. They won't be disappointed.

See, now this is an entirely different argument. Hitting them better is a different statement than more forgiving on mis-hits on the toe. Hitting them better could be achieved quite easily based on different swings, more confidence, or a setup that fits you better. Hitting them further and straighter off the toe, consistently would be mind blowing though.

See, now this is an entirely different argument. Hitting them better is a different statement than more forgiving on mis-hits on the toe. Hitting them better could be achieved quite easily based on different swings, more confidence, or a setup that fits you better. Hitting them further and straighter off the toe, consistently would be mind blowing though.
Well, you do have a point. Perhaps I misspoke. I do hit the X-Proto's better, i.e., I'm more consistent with them. I have more of a tendency to hit the ball off the toe with the 2.0's than the X-Proto's. However, when I do hit a shot of the toe with the X-Proto's the ball goes straight. With the 2.0's the ball can go straight, but it can also go left (a pull), or right (a push). I don't know what else to tell you except the experience has been very limited and I have only hit a few shots off the toe so the sample size is incredibly small.

By the way, the Maaco Bowl ain't makin' it. Sure are a lot of turnovers.

THose are some very sweet looking irons Sean.

Thanks SeeMore. I think they're the prettiest one's I've ever seen. I hope we have a long relationship. :)

Round Five

I went to the range again today with both sets fully expecting to hit the 2.0's better. But that wasn't the case. Yes, the 2.0's went further when I hit 7-iron versus 7-iron for example, but the 2.0's loft is one club stronger. When I hit them loft versus loft I hit the X-Proto's a bit longer.

The dispersion with the X-Proto's was much tighter and I hit the ball more solidly than the 2.0's.

Sounds like you've found your clubs Sean. That's awesome. If I come into some cash I would like to get another set such as these or the Pro Combos.

Sounds like you've found your clubs Sean. That's awesome. If I come into some cash I would like to get another set such as these or the Pro Combos.
Thanks CL! You can find them at Callaway Preowned, and I think Fredericksburg Golf Center in Virginia might still have some. I spoke to Corey and he was very helpful. http://www.fredericksburggolf.com/

I personally think these are the nicest clubs Callaway offers. Sweet sticks!

I also wanted to point out that JB is correct. I hit some toe shots on purpose and the 2.0's go further then the X-Proto's. But, I usually don't hit shots off the toe so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Also, later this afternoon someone pointed me to this article, which also reinforces what JB said about toe hits (it also says some other things as well): http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+...Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

So JB...You are Correct. :)

You may not like that author too much Sean. He also says cast vs forged does not matter.

You may not like that author too much Sean. He also says cast vs forged does not matter.
That's okay with me JB. As I've said before I believe the cast process has vastly improved and IMHO it's hard to tell that much of a difference between a well struck shot on a cast club versus a forged club.

The reason I wanted to post that link is to show that you were correct about the toe hits on a GI club versus a blade. It's the only "scientific" article I could find that proved you were correct.

I MAY have figured out the problem I'm having with the 2.0's: the shafts are too light! I have graphite shafts, which I got because of elbow problems, but I load the shaft pretty well and have fairly aggressive transition. I'm wondering if this might be the cause of the problem? I feel a lack of control with the 2.0's whereas with the X-Proto's I feel have more control since I have more than a "feather" in my hands. The KBS Tours in the X-Proto's are 133 grams and the shafts in the 2.0's are 65 grams.

I don't want to give up in the 2.0's because I think in the long run these would suit me if I can come up with the right shaft. I'm also going to talk to my pro about it and drop a line to Andy as well.

What do you guys think?

Didn't you go to TMPL and get fit?
Did they not fit you for shafts?
And if you play graphite shafts in 1 set because of elbow problems, should you not play them in both?

Didn't you go to TMPL and get fit?
Did they not fit you for shafts?
And if you play graphite shafts in 1 set because of elbow problems, should you not play them in both?
I mentioned the elbow problems so graphite shafts were the only considerations. I've been hitting the X-Protos and the elbows feel pretty good. Also, I can get the ProSoft inserts installed, and along with the Lamkin REL 3Gen grips that should do a lot to dampen the vibration.

I guess maybe a better comparison would be both with steel shafts then correct? This is not really comparing apples to apples in my opinion, but glad they are working for you.

I guess maybe a better comparison would be both with steel shafts then correct? This is not really comparing apples to apples in my opinion, but glad they are working for you.
Correct. IF that's the issue. I look forward to hearing what Andy has to say. I may be hitting the X-Protos better but something tells me the 2.0's will be better for me. Now, I don't know if that something is conventional wisdom or something else.

Sean I can feel your pain here. I gave up on the Adams because when I had a bad round it was really bad. If my ball striking was off I felt like I couldn't do anything right. Looking back on the year my best rounds were all with the MB's by far. My worst rounds were all with the G15's except for one but for some reason I think they are better for me. Looking at my stats it is pretty much all my driver and putter. I'm losing about 6 shots per round because of wayward drives and averaging 37 putts per round which is horrendous. I don't think I'm good enough for MB's but my stats this year say otherwise. I'm going to stick with the G15's though.

Yeah, I'm confused CL. I wish I could get out on a golf course and play a round with one set and play another round with the other. I can only do so much on the range.

I'm curious though, since you have been able to play the course with both the MB's and the G15's, and you achieved better results with the MB's, why not stick with the MB's? Or, like me, are you plagued by those nagging thoughts that we aren't good enough to play player's irons? LOL

ps: just imagine how your scores will drop once you start putting better!

Sean honestly I think it was my range time that convinced me to go SGI. At the range sometimes I would not concentrate and I would hit some fatties and the chunks of earth I would dislodge were tremendous. I would walk away feeling horribly about my ballstriking.

On the course though I would concentrate like I should and hit the MB's very well. Shot an 82 on a very difficult course and my iron striking was very good. Shaping shots like I wanted to and everything. I think my bad round at Tot Hill Farms convinced me I was not good enough to bag the MB's. Looking back at the round it was my drives that killed me that day. I lost 10 balls off the tee box and carded a 95. Had a bad stretch of scoring in the middle of the summer and just convinced myself I should not have MB's in the bag even though it was not my irons that were at fault.

I think I was embarrassed to be shooting the scores I was shooting while carrying the MB's so I made the switch. I can't complain though as I really like the G15's. I have had thoughts of getting a backup set of CB's or MB's to practice with but I'm pretty poor so it is just a thought. Will not sell the G15's to purchase anything though as I really do love them.

Yeah I feel pretty confident that next year I will get back to my 6 handicap. Need to work hard on my driving which is absolutely killing me. Losing at the very least 10 shots per round off the tee box. I lose about 6 balls from wayward drives every round. It's not a slice or hook either. I will just aim poorly and push the shot straight right into the woods. I just need to play more to get my putting and short game back. I used to be a pretty good putter but taking 7 years off does not help. I have a very nice course about 10 minutes from my house and my goal is to practice my short game 3 times a week leading up to the outing. Then I plan on kicking JB's butt after I pay for his lunch lol.

Then I plan on kicking JB's butt after I pay for his lunch lol.

I look forward to that. I always love getting crushed and it happens quite a bit.

Does this mean you will be at the outing, I will enjoy my lunch.

CL it sounds like if you straighten out your drives and get your putter going you'll be shooting some very good scores. It doesn't sound like you're having any iron problems, though I understand what your saying about playing the MB's and shooting a 95...even though it wasn't an iron problem you were having. I'd like to see that round between you and JB. It's good to have something to shoot for...it'll keep you motivated. :)

Better get out there and practice JB. :)

I look forward to that. I always love getting crushed and it happens quite a bit.

Does this mean you will be at the outing, I will enjoy my lunch.

That is the plan. Have been doing everything around the house that she has wanted done so she is pretty happy with me right now. I think I will spring the trap next week.

CL it sounds like if you straighten out your drives and get your putter going you'll be shooting some very good scores. It doesn't sound like you're having any iron problems, though I understand what your saying about playing the MB's and shooting a 95...even though it wasn't an iron problem you were having. I'd like to see that round between you and JB. It's good to have something to shoot for...it'll keep you motivated. :)

Better get out there and practice JB. :)

I hate to say it because I know that high handicappers can't really say they are good ball strikers but I am a decent one so I could handle the MB's just fine. But quite honestly I don't think that my game was suited for them. Most of the time I just want to hit the ball straight and the G15's are perfect for that. I dont really find myself shaping shots a lot so I don't really need the MB's. They sure are fun to play though and I have to say that after the 82 I had never been happier walking off a course. I pretty much hit every iron shot that day exactly how I wanted to.

Lol JB does not need to practice at all. He will wipe the floor with me. Sounds like he gets around the course in the low 80's high 70's which will destroy me. I would love to try and beat him though. That is why I golf. I absolutely love competition.

Going back to the MB's(sorry for this jumbled mess of a post but that is how my brain operates lol) I know I can play them. My handicap would stay the same no matter what iron I play. I don't try and overhit with my irons and so I tend to hit the center of the iron. My miss will be on the heel as well which from what I've read is better when playing MB's. I handled the long irons of the MB's fantastic. In fact the 4 iron might have been my favorite club. The instructor who I have gotten fit from and taken some lessons from told me to not sell the MB's as he thought I hit them great. I think I pretty much got rid of them because I was embarrassed about shooting the scores I was shooting and having them in the bag. I think I didn't want to look like a poser.

Going forward I have to admit I have my eye on the Nike Pro Combos which look and feel fantastic and also the Ping S56's which I fell in love with the first time I hit them. Best feeling club I think I've ever hit. I know that forgings are supposed to be the be all end all but Ping did something special IMO with the S56.

I understand completely CL. I have the same feeling about looking like a poser. The X-Protos really stand out. That said we could get head covers...then we'd look like geeks. It might be a moot point with me though. I have a doctor's appointment because since I've been playing the X-Protos my elbows have been starting to bother me...not like before, but enough to concern me. I know I said in a previous post that they haven't been but that sort of has been wishful thinking. I was hitting some chips in the basement a while ago and yowza I got a real zinger. Reality kind of slapped me in the face. This entire thing has me bummed out.

By the way, remember that JB is constantly testing new irons. The poor fellow never gets a chance to groove his swing with one set so you never know. In any case lunch should taste mighty fine and you should have fun regardless!

There are some heavier graphite shafts out there I may look at like the Aerotech SteelFibers. T

Back