Callaway XR and Mizuno

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
Went to golfsmith to test and buy the new XR irons, and they had an excellent set up that allowed me to test both the Callaway XR irons and the mizuno's

I currently have the X20 irons and after reading all the hype wanted to test the XR irons out. If the launch monitor is accurate then these def get the extr distance on my x20's, as I was hitting the 7 iron about 160-180 ( my x20 would be 155). Problem was dispersion for me..... Made for a nice firework display on the screen but didn't fill me with huge confidence that these are the ones.

Then tried the mizuno EZ, and dispersion seemed to be a bit better and to be honest I was surprised that the distance was pretty similar to the XR which I was expecting to be far longer. Had some time away from the monitor to think, and probably on a blind test, I would have veered more towards mizuno EZ ... But really didn't like the look of the irons if I'm being honest.

Then I saw a set of mizuno's jpx 825 on the rack on sale for 499... Which was considerably cheaper that the XR and EZ.... So thought I may as well trial...

They only had a graphite shaft in stock to trial.... But all of a sudden I found a club that was long and straight for me., and just felt so much better than the others.

I will return in a few days to trial the jpx 825 in steel to see if as good, and also compare again with the Callaway XR.... Which I so wanted to be the right club for me, and hopefully pull the trigger.

Would be keen to hear from anyone else who has tried the XR and the 825, and in particular to understand if in practice they are the same distance...as never sure if the launch monitor is 100% accurate to real life..., if it is, then I will just go with feel and distance per the launch monitor when I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have the 825's and they were a distance monster for me. I regret getting rid of them. I don't have much experience with the XR's, but have heard very good things.

Both very solid irons. I prefer the cup face design of the XR in terms of lateral forgiveness and distance on missing shots, especially out towards the toe. However both are solid and will provide great golfing fun for years to come.

Appreciating the feedback

Interesting if distance is good on both ( and perhaps the launch monitor is accurate), then it will just come down to feel and consistency when I go and try them again later in the week.

Price is also a factor, 499 for mizuno but includes a GW ( not sure if I'd use). Also, tried the XR 4hybrid and was amazing.... So if get callaways would be 899 with 3&4 hybrid-pw. ( save 100 from buying hybrids separate I think..)

Thanks again for feedback.....useful to have different perspectives.

Price is definitely different. Much of that is because the Mizuno 825 line about 3 years ago and the XR just launched a few months ago. Does not mean one will work better for you than the other however.

Yep agree.... Tho was expecting there to be a big difference in distance. If launch monitor is accurate then definitely a big difference to my old x20's, but not much between the XR and the 825 for me

If you were liking the results with graphite why bother even looking at steel?

Both very solid irons. I prefer the cup face design of the XR in terms of lateral forgiveness and distance on missing shots, especially out towards the toe. However both are solid and will provide great golfing fun for years to come.

I have no experience with any Mizuno clubs, but I know right now I would not trade my new XR clubs for anything. I agree with JB on the miss hits with the XR irons. Still good distance and not as penal as previous Callaway irons.

Just a personal thing I guess.....

I made the switch to graphite and have not seen any downside. If the price is right and you don't get the results you want out of the steel, I would definitely consider the graphite.

I have seen it help with some injury issues especially my wrist and elbow.

Just a personal thing I guess.....

I am partial to the EZs, but the XRs would be real close. I understand not caring for the look of the EZs, the color is definitely not for everyone. If you want something that sets up like the EZs but looks more like the 825s take a look at the JPX 800 HDs. The EZs replaced these in the Mizuno lineup. I hit them when I bought the EZs and if I had not gotten the deal I did I would have bought them instead. Very similar launch and forgiveness characteristics. If you look you could get them at a real good price.

I am partial to the EZs, but the XRs would be real close. I understand not caring for the look of the EZs, the color is definitely not for everyone. If you want something that sets up like the EZs but looks more like the 825s take a look at the JPX 800 HDs. The EZs replaced these in the Mizuno lineup. I hit them when I bought the EZs and if I had not gotten the deal I did I would have bought them instead. Very similar launch and forgiveness characteristics. If you look you could get them at a real good price.

Thanks for the advice.... May have a look at the 800's as well if they have them available for demo

I'm secretly hoping that I can get on with the XR irons, but the results I got on the mizuno 825 and the $499 price tag is steering me to give these some real consideration

If money is no issue at all here I'd go XR personally. But basically half the price is a pretty big difference and purchasing wise if you're seeing similar numbers it's hard not to go with the much cheaper option.

If money is no issue at all here I'd go XR personally. But basically half the price is a pretty big difference and purchasing wise if you're seeing similar numbers it's hard not to go with the much cheaper option.

Yep - that's exactly where I am.

I'm sure these will be 5 year investment, and if I can get on with the XR as well as the 825, then I may stay with the original plan. But if cheaper and perform better for me on the launch monitor, (and assuming launch monitor is indeed accurate...) then it will be the 825's

Thanks for the advice.... May have a look at the 800's as well if they have them available for demo

I'm secretly hoping that I can get on with the XR irons, but the results I got on the mizuno 825 and the $499 price tag is steering me to give these some real consideration

If you want it, I have an 800 HD 6 iron with a regular graphite shaft you can have.

Went back and fount that I actually got on better with the XR irons this time, and the amazing feeling of the hybrid 4 made my mind up... That and the fact that golfsmith gave me an extended 2 month playability guarantee which allows for the next time I am back in the U.S...,, so I will now put these to the test .... Together with the ping G30 driver that performed best for me.

Appreciate all the feedback and advice.... I will post back with my thoughts on these at a later stage

Back