Callaway XR or XR Pro for GI

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
After going back to fundamentals, taking pga tour academy home edition and lots of practice .... I am finally back on the road to recovery.... :)

I have been watching the callaway xr and xr pro review threads, and feel it is time to upgrade from my old x20's and benefit from improved technology and some extra distance ( as long as consistent) and more forgiveness.

Realistically I am going from high handicapper and aiming for mid to high teens and feel comfortable lessons and practice is getting me there.

For a long term investment that is going to be with me on the journey to mid handicapper, would I be better to go for the better iron ( pro) which is a little more expensive but sure looks better and will presumably allow for greater control as I improve, or just go for the XR..... And possibly trade up ( it take newer technology) at a later point when I have made steady improvement.??

I haven't seen a direct comparison of the X20 and XR range.... But seems the head is bigger on the XR and about the same on the XR pro.... Does anyone know from experience?

Fitting:
Is it possible to get fitted for clubs after buying them, as I still have improvements to be made on my swing technique?

Is it possible to subsequently tweak fittings if swing does change? Or is it non reversible ?

Shaft choice
Between steel stiff, steel regular and graphite .... Is there any magic formula as to which to choose.... Or is it just a case of trial and see which feels best?
(Reason for asking is incase I don't have sufficient opportunity to trial the different combos)
.... Also appears that callaway themselves offer various different flavours of steel shaft (as per review thread)... Am I just unnecessarily complicating matters at my handicap level (24)... Or should I give this serious thought?

I am just focussing on Irons at the moment....., my wood play is terrible and where I lose most a good number of shots .... But that is the next project!!!!

Appreciate any help here

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my XR pro with c taper lite shafts. They are awesome.. I am a 14.8 index and have no issues with these. They are very forgiving. If I was to compare to a model it would be the X hot pro , not to be confused with x hot 2
as far as changing afterwords you could change the lie and always pull the shafts..
imwould go hit both and which ever fits your eye go with!

The XR pro is right in the GI catagory to me. The XR is boarder line SGI from my experience with them.

I would go hit both, see which one fits your eye best and gives you the best results.

If you don't like looking at whichever one, you will probably second guess yourself. As there is a pro (Freddie Jacobson) hitting the XRs (not the XR PRO) I would go in with an open mind and give both a fair shake.

As mentioned, Freddie Jacobson is on tour using the standard XR irons, so don't read too much into the "growing into" irons.

The fitting while taking lessons is a tricky one and others may have a different opinion, but here it goes.

Irons can be changed if purchased prior to a fitting, but it's limited based on loft and lie. Clubs can always be reshafted if you're willing to fork out the money to do so, if you're numbers end up changing and something gives you better numbers later on. It would really depend on how dramatic of swing changes you are making.

By the sounds currently, I think buying a set and just have your lies and lengths checked before ordering for now should be fine if you want to upgrade your irons right now.

I'd say if you have any slice tendency go with the XR's. I love my XR Pros!!!

I have both sets and they are very different. The XR Pros are definitely thinner, smaller and an overall fairly small package.
Im a big believer in playing what you would like, however if you are a higher handicap golfer, the XR irons are going to offer a LOT more forgiveness.
I also dont really believe in "growing into irons". It leads to frustration that does not really have to be there.

Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated

Best I find a place that will allow me to try both irons.

Will it make much difference to me whether I go with stock shafts... And question re sti if and regular.... Is that just a case of see how they feel when swinging or do they bring different capabilities?

Sorry ..., not sure how to edit....

I meant stiff or regular

Stock shafts will be fine. Determining stiff or regular will largely be based on your feel when testing them.

The XR pro is right in the GI catagory to me. The XR is boarder line SGI from my experience with them.
I'm curious, what in your opinion, is the distictions between the categories? From me experience with them, everything about the XRs says GI

I agree that the XR set is probably best but go hit them both. I don't believe in growing into irons and I think that is just how our pride sneeks in to justify buying a "pro" labeled iron. I'm not judging as I have done it. But last summer I didn't buy the apex pro and am 1000% happy with just the apex irons.

As for working the ball with the pro line...I may be alone but I rarely (never) try to work the ball into a pin position. If your goal is to be a mid teen capper I don't think you need to worry about working the ball. Find something that goes straight and aim for the middle of the green.

Once you meet your goal and start a new goal to single digits, there will be a ton of new iron options out there and if you stay on THP you will end up going thru 10 sets of irons anyway! Hahahaha

Good luck on your journey!

I'm curious, what in your opinion, is the distictions between the categories? From me experience with them, everything about the XRs says GI

Top line thickness, offset, amount of effective hitting area (Forgivness), and total size of the clubhead (how big it looks behind the ball).

Top line thickness, offset, amount of effective hitting area (Forgivness), and total size of the clubhead (how big it looks behind the ball).

For whatever it's worth, I own both XRs and i20's. I posted some pics in the XR thread, but the offset is the same, the hitting area (at least what's grooved/resurfaced) is the same (though the actual forgiveness is not the same, big + for the XR out towards the toe), and the topline is only very marginally larger in the Callaway. Sole is actually smaller on the XR. I don't *think* anyone considers i20's to be SGI.

I'm not trying to justify - I just don't care enough what someone else thinks of what's in my bag - and I know there aren't clear delineations/definitions between GI and SGI, but to me the XR is more GI. I played MT588's last year, a larger head with enclosed back ala Big Bertha etc. Those and others like it, and things like Karstens, are more SGI to my mind.

To the OP, I have a somewhat better current hcp than your 20-24 (mine being 18.3 end last year), but I didn't hesitate to go XR. I'm a decent enough ball striker but a miserably bad putter, and I hit the XR Pro's OK, but man on those loose swings there is just so much more forgiveness in the XR.

People vastly overstate the size of the XR IMO. They are not at all what I would call shovels or SGI in size.

I was actually really surprised when I saw them in hand - the X2 were the same way for me. Unless you are really averse to offset, the standard XR is a pretty nice looking iron. But from a forgiveness standpoint, right up there.

Thanks again for all the input and feedback. Can't wait to try not of these out. Almost went for apex or x2 hot last year, but set myself a goal ... Which didn't achieve ... And now just thinking... What the heck, these will help me get to the goal faster!!

If it were me, more forgiveness is huge especially for long irons. Then you can focus on the short game to improve handicap.

There is nothing about the regular XR that will hold you back from achieving your goals. You will be able to hit all the shots you want and shape the ball both directions once you get to that level. A THPer smarter than I once said, "game the most forgiving iron your eye can stand", and I think that is great advice. Enjoy, you really can't go wrong with either.

I'm in the same dilemma. I've hit both the XR and the XR pro, both felt great in the simulator. Not sure which way to go. What club selection would you recommend I'm swaying 5-LW.

Back