Can a Brand Undo Being Typecasted?

Other than a truly disruptive event, time.

Perceptions almost always lag reality.
I think this is the answer. It takes time to change perception or the equipment needs to be a huge hit on the internet. I think to be a huge hit on the internet it has to be the clear winner in a category for the year, it's not good enough to just be as good as the top of the heap to really change perceptions it has to be above the top of the heap.

I think a brand can but it takes a lot of work and a big budget.
You have to fully commit as well, if there is any sense of hesitation on the brands part it will totally kill the new segment they are trying to break into.
I think the golf ball is the easiest market for a company to expand into because it is a low cost compared to equipment for a consumer to test. They are also a product purchased multiple times throughout the year.
I think it also helps to have a pro playing the equipment.

You have to fully commit as well, if there is any sense of hesitation on the brands part it will totally kill the new segment they are trying to break into.
I think the golf ball is the easiest market for a company to expand into because it is a low cost compared to equipment for a consumer to test. They are also a product purchased multiple times throughout the year.
I think it also helps to have a pro playing the equipment.

Well said. The jargony way to say what I put in bold is "Switching costs are low."

I think another example recently is TM - I think they've made it more into the conversation with the P series of irons. Historically I would have associated them with metalwoods more than anything.

I think it would take a marketing blitz of epic proportions for a very lengthy amount of time. Maybe more than a company is going to commit to, or can afford.

Nope.

Titleist will always be the number one ball in golf in my eyes

I think Mizuno may be on the road to doing so. Used to think of them as only an iron company, but I've seen a lot of players in my area bagging their woods wedges and putters. Especially putters.

I think Tour Edge is doing it. For the longest time they were just known for the Exotics Fairways and Hybrids, and I think they have pretty much broken that with the EXS and Hot Launch lines.

Of course they still make incredible Fairways and Hybrids, as in the CBX 119 line.

I read that and immediately thought of Wilson irons and Gary Woodland winning the US Open. Also, the brand lacks a meaningful social media presence. The table was set for a big move and they appear to have blown it.

I think it is VERY difficult to overcome. Mizuno has made some fantastic woods, yet they seem to get no mainstream love. I'm not sure why that is, but I believe it has to do with the average golfer not trusting themselves to believe equipment is good so they look for examples from the best players. Then combine that with being rewarded by being apart of a club of golfers who chose just like you did who immediately approve of your big purchase.

I think Tour Edge is doing it. For the longest time they were just known for the Exotics Fairways and Hybrids, and I think they have pretty much broken that with the EXS and Hot Launch lines.

Of course they still make incredible Fairways and Hybrids, as in the CBX 119 line.

Funny, I was exposed to TE through their Bazooka irons and iron-woods {I consider them an earlier gen HL) from a local golf center. Only later did I become familiar with Exotics.

There are brands making high quality equipment and yet some of them get sort of stuck in the mold of being a ball company or iron company or wedge company, etc.

Is this something that can be undone, regardless of how good the equipment is that they are putting out?
Once your labeled something it's nearly impossible to get rid of that label. Even if the label was given to you against your will and false. I live this every day. Eventually, you just have to embrace it.

Its kind of like a tour player changing their swing to add more distance. Many will try, few will succeed. Possible? Yes. But hard as heck.

I think branding can be undone for sure. It will take a savvy marketing team, but it can be done. Not long ago Callaway was "your grandfathers golf brand' to what they are today.

First one that comes to mind is Bridgestone. Balls are great. How good are their clubs?

Another would be Wilson, long ago I'd imagine they were up there, today they have a long uphill battle and its raining out...

There are brands making high quality equipment and yet some of them get sort of stuck in the mold of being a ball company or iron company or wedge company, etc.

Is this something that can be undone, regardless of how good the equipment is that they are putting out?
Man, it’s hard to.

Wilson tried, and were for a while, but now who knows.

Tour Edge is imo the one who’s done the best most recently.

First one that comes to mind is Bridgestone. Balls are great. How good are their clubs?
Their clubs have never been their focus though.

Once your labeled something it's nearly impossible to get rid of that label. Even if the label was given to you against your will and false. I live this every day. Eventually, you just have to embrace it.

I'd disagree with you, except you said "nearly." Some are undoubtedly tougher than others, but Japanese and now Korean cars have redeemed their names. But it took time. The permanency of those labels often says more about the labeler than it does about the labelee.

To be fair, they haven't released a set of clubs in the US or North America in years.
So currently they are a ball company only here because that is all people can buy.

You have to start with new leadership at the top to build a culture. If the product is good then keep the product team. Same with marketing, sales and so on. It is the leader who must decide what works and what must go. In some cases it''s best to take another year of bad sales to get where you envision the brand going.

I think it’s possible but would take a long time. Credibility in this industry is so consumer driven and built over a long period of time. Mizuno with golf balls is a great example...

I think it will take multiple high quality releases of whatever to start to turn the narrative in the industry

I think TItleist did a good of getting rid of the stigma of just a “players” brand. In our club it’s TItleist 300 or TaylorMade sims in most bags

I'd disagree with you, except you said "nearly." Some are undoubtedly tougher than others, but Japanese and now Korean cars have redeemed their names. But it took time. The permanency of those labels often says more about the labeler than it does about the labelee.

I know better than to speak in absolutes.

Back