Cart fees - Anyone negotiate them off a membership?

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My old club reached out asking about rejoining.
The course allows walking, but is pretty much unwalkable. Too much distance between a few of the holes.

I said I would rejoin if they waived cart fees in perpetuity. More joking than a serious request.

But it got me thinking, has anyone done this successfully when joining a club?

No but I’ve seen a few memberships that don’t charge them to begin with. Or food & beverage minimums. Or any of the other nickel and dime stuff. Rare though.

This would be a solid negotiating win if you could pull it off.

The last CC I was a member of didn't include carts with the membership, the annual cart fee was extra. They had two 18s with only one of those being permissible for walking as an option. The other 18 was mandatory cart.

yeah, this place does per round fee, a monthly fee or annual fee options.

per round is 29$

One of my regular playing partners agreed to an annual fee on top of his membership. I think it worked out to the cost of 5 rentals. So a pretty good deal.

The few courses I have joined over the years charge extra for carts for members. I am glad since I walk most rounds. I'd think if you are friendly with the course and are re-upping, some would say yes to the reduction if you walk.

It’s worth a try right? Especially if they’re reaching out to you to rejoin

It's worth a shot. Must private courses around here have waiting lists or so many members they've jacked the prices up and that just wouldn't work. But if they're reaching out, I'd say it's definitely worth trying.

No but I’ve seen a few memberships that don’t charge them to begin with. Or food & beverage minimums. Or any of the other nickel and dime stuff. Rare though.
Several 100 year old SF Bay Area proprietary (members-owned) country club's each have approximately 350 members, , a $150,000K initiation fee, $1,200 per month dues, plus $500 per quarter food and beverage minimums. Without a food and beverage minimum these clubs could not offer the first rate restaurant operations that the members desire and expect.

I’ve heard of it. I played with a guy at my old club who was to negotiate it in, along with some guest passes by paying his yearly dues up front and signing a 3 year contract

It's worth a try, worst they can do is say no. My course offers a base membership fee for walkers, cart fees are $120 extra per month for unlimited or $15 per round. I've never heard of them waiving it for anybody.

I would be told to kick rocks hahahaha

I pay a flat rate at the beginning of the season for unlimited cart usage. It pays for itself after 35 rounds, and since I play around 150 rounds, it's a bargain.

Back