Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Talking yesterday with my buddy during our round it was brought up that if the PGA wants to speed up rounds why not give the guys carts. Do you think it could ever work?

They wouldn't give them to a guy with an obvious handicap and need for one and fought it in court. They certainly won't give them to people with no physical limitations to get around a course.

They wouldn't give them to a guy with an obvious handicap and need for one and fought it in court. They certainly won't give them to people with no physical limitations to get around a course.

They could at least give them to speed up playoff holes right?

They could at least give them to speed up playoff holes right?

I may be wrong but they might use the to transport them to starting holes for the playoffs depending on the layout of the holes being used for the playoffs.

I know tour players that hate walking. It would have to be 100% or nothing at all.

I may be wrong but they might use the to transport them to starting holes for the playoffs depending on the layout of the holes being used for the playoffs.

I don't remember exactly but the playoff between Day and Noren had them play the par 5, 18th a bunch of times and I think? they walked it and it took forever, which led to it going into Monday.

They need to get rid of the green reading books they use more recently

I know tour players that hate walking. It would have to be 100% or nothing at all.

I just wonder if it would actually speed things up. Assume each player and caddie would have their own cart. Maybe it is something the web tour could try

I just wonder if it would actually speed things up. Assume each player and caddie would have their own cart. Maybe it is something the web tour could try

I don't know if carts would speed up play or not, but if it would get tried anywhere Euro Tour would be the place. They seem willing to try different ideas. They have the tourney with shot clock and the sixes tournament already.

One possible problem with carts would be wet conditions. Conditions in which they can walk in maybe to wet for carts. CPO is the slowest and worst form of golf so I can't see them doing that.

People already think golfers arent athletes. What are they going to say if they all start using carts? IMO, a better idea would be get rid of yardage books and implement a shot clock. See it, hit it, move on.

All of the slowest golf courses I play during any given season are nearly 100% carts. Carts would not do anything to solve the slow play on the PGA Tour.

If you take away the yardage books, then they will walk around the green even more than they do now. Carts would get them to a location quicker. I would like to see them use a GPS and or a range finder so the caddie don't have to walk 200 yards looking for a marker to walk off.

No, just no. I am all for unconventional ideas, but this is a tradition I do not feel we should mess with and do not believe it would contribute to faster play. Can you imagine how many players would need to reactivate their glutes after a nice 300 yard ride up to their ball?

I don't think carts would speed things up. It's taking forever to actually take shots.

And when there are long walks between holes at courses, the players are already taken by carts.

They would never do it since it takes away from the "spirit & tradition" of the game. Same reason they don't allow them to wear shorts.

I don’t think it would speed things up and unless the person has a medical condition I wouldn’t want to see it. Let the use a rangefinder I think that might speed things up a touch but not enough.

Carts for PGA?

Talking yesterday with my buddy during our round it was brought up that if the PGA wants to speed up rounds why not give the guys carts. Do you think it could ever work?

I think carts shouldn't be part of the game anywhere (unless you have a handicap that requires you to use one).

On the PGA tour it's 5 hour + rounds with Twosomes walking. Me and a random hack I paired with yesterday did 9 holes in 1 hour 10 minutes walking. So golf on foot does not need to be slow.

2a95ac423f0a40167e9c7499f1140bff.jpg

I think there is a better chance of seeing all the players wearing shorts than there is of them riding in carts. I am going to tell a quick story from our board meeting at our club from last night....

We implemented a pace of play policy a year and a half ago. Prior to this rounds were usually 4:45 to 5:15, stated pace of play for the course is 4:30. Pace of play is now 4:40 or within 15 minutes of the group ahead and you must record the time of teeing off on the first hole, the time of finishing the 9th hole and when the flag goes in the hole on the 18th hole. If the card it turned in and any of those are not met, it is a 2 stroke penalty for the group. In 20 tournaments there have been 2 groups penalized and neither group appealed the penalty (which they have every right to do).

Average pace of play for our most recent tournament was 4:24, with no groups slower than 4:36. There are complaints each tournament about it, but it HAS WORKED. If you want to speed up the game at all levels, start penalizing these PGA players either with strokes in a tournament, fines or even fed ex points. Do it a few times and guess what, you won't have to worry about it much after that. Once you set the precedent that there will be punishments, guys get the hint and it likely won't have to be discussed every week.

I completely agree. My 12 year old and I will walk 9 holes dozens of times each summer on our very hilly course in under 75 minutes and she normally shoots in the 50's.

I think carts shouldn't be part of the game anywhere (unless you have a handicap that requires you to use one).

On the PGA tour it's 5 hour + rounds with Twosomes walking. Me and a random hack I paired with yesterday did 9 holes in 1 hour 10 minutes walking. So golf on foot does not need to be slow.

2a95ac423f0a40167e9c7499f1140bff.jpg

Not a fan of the cart idea, enforce the pace rules and start penalizing them for slow play

Not for me. Most amateurs walk and i think that should continue to be encouraged by those in the public eye playing professionally.

Not for me. Most amateurs walk and i think that should continue to be encouraged by those in the public eye playing professionally.

Not in most places in the states. Amateurs cart it. Many resort courses won’t even let you walk if you want to. We played on one in Jan that was “cart path only, and no you can’t walk.”

Not in most places in the states. Amateurs cart it. Many resort courses won’t even let you walk if you want to. We played on one in Jan that was “cart path only, and no you can’t walk.”

They play proper golf in Scotland.

Sadly most new courses around here are just not built for walking. They are built for housing. Nothing like several hundred yard walks(ride) from green to next tee.

I imagine the number is 90% carts in rounds played. My home course is at least walkable and very easily at that. I ride when I get golf now hot deals as it is cheaper though.

I don't think carts would speed things up. It's taking forever to actually take shots.

And when there are long walks between holes at courses, the players are already taken by carts.

Exactly. It would be a hurry up and wait exercise.

Back