Charissa Thompson Thoughts

Netflix Idiot GIF by Daybreak

I could honestly care less.

Not really, but just odd to cut it off. I mean Rovell obviously has a narrative, but that is just weird.

View attachment 9222070View attachment 9222069

I also chalk this up to any publicity is good publicity. She is playing the game. Good or bad her name is out there and will probably be rewarded for it.. Not punished. I dont really think there is anything here to be really punished for. The sanctity of journalist and their "integrity" is laughable to me..

I also chalk this up to any publicity is good publicity. She is playing the game. Good or bad her name is out there and will probably be rewarded for it.. Not punished. I dont really think there is anything here to be really punished for. The sanctity of journalist and their "integrity" is laughable to me..
Oh I would definitely disagree on this being good publicity.

yes. I laugh when reporter type get all "this is unacceptable" lol.. C'mon.. They are just mad that someone pulled back the curtain..

Oh I would definitely disagree on this being good publicity.
I dont think it is either. But it's publicity..

this is my favorite part of new age newsy stuff.

People have had hours to wildly overreact if that's true. And she gets to read all of it from her colleagues and friends lmao

Now we're really having fun.

yes. I laugh when reporter type get all "this is unacceptable" lol.. C'mon.. They are just mad that someone pulled back the curtain..
With all due respect, I’m in this space and I believe Lisa’s response is 100% genuine. The general idea of making something up and especially attributing it to someone would go against every instinct imaginable. That by definition isn’t journalism, and it’s something to be taken seriously.

There are other professions like this where the unfortunate actions of some get attributed to everyone in the industry as a blanket statement, which I believe is incorrect. It doesn’t mean there aren’t issues, but it also doesn’t mean everyone agrees or would defend those actions. I think some would be surprised if they actually saw/knew how hard people work to do their jobs with the utmost integrity. And how frustrated many get when these things occur because it isn’t how the job should be done. Many work to correct that. I wish it was literally 100%. In my experience with those around this area, I’m thankful to say it’s very close to that, if not actually there.

I know for me personally, getting facts right is literally all I care about in my work.

this is my favorite part of new age newsy stuff.

People have had hours to wildly overreact if that's true. And she gets to read all of it from her colleagues and friends lmao

Now we're really having fun
If you aren't overreacting, are you even internetting?

The number one rule of public speaking is don't say the quiet part out loud. She said the quiet part out loud. I don't think she should be fired but she's gonna have a hard time working with her colleagues for a while.

While I agree what coaches say is meaningless and they don't even want to say it at all, I will say that for someone who is supposedly a reporter, making up a quote is inexcusable. Given the situation is it earth-shattering? No. But for a reporter to fabricate information should not be something which can ever be forgiven. It's like an accountant forging a balance sheet and saying "Yeah, but they were just a sole proprietorship so nobody else was hurt."

She should be fired.

I don’t think she should be fired based on public outrage. I don’t like those coach interviews, but I hate when any reporter makes stuff up. You can’t quote people that never talked to you. I think it happens a lot.

If her clarification is accurate then it's much ado about nothing. She says she didn't attribute quotes to anyone so I don't think it's a big deal. If that isn't accurate it's a bad look and may be worthy of a little time off.

It does a disservice to every media member regardless of genre that does the right thing.
yes, absolutely.
i'm not trying to cut too close to the bone here. obviously you run a media company that both reports on golf issues and also partners with golf companies. i don't know first hand, but there are ways in which i'm betting that balance is occasionally challenging. for what it's worth, i think THP does it better than anywhere i've seen in the leisure-sports segment. fishing and hunting media is often terrible at it, and loses so much credibility as a result. sometimes remaining silent is the best option; Thompson admits (and then weirdly retracts) making things up instead of being silent. doing that is an error (and the disservice that you mention) but i can also understand that there is a lot of pressure early in a career to both get something when it's your one task and for it to please the corporate partners.

With all due respect, I’m in this space and I believe Lisa’s response is 100% genuine. The general idea of making something up and especially attributing it to someone would go against every instinct imaginable. That by definition isn’t journalism, and it’s something to be taken seriously.

There are other professions like this where the unfortunate actions of some get attributed to everyone in the industry as a blanket statement, which I believe is incorrect. It doesn’t mean there aren’t issues, but it also doesn’t mean everyone agrees or would defend those actions. I think some would be surprised if they actually saw/knew how hard people work to do their jobs with the utmost integrity. And how frustrated many get when these things occur because it isn’t how the job should be done. Many work to correct that. I wish it was literally 100%. In my experience with those around this area, I’m thankful to say it’s very close to that, if not actually there.
in the example of these puff piece half-time coach interactions, what is the way the job should be done if there's nothing offered? if the job is to get some content and the coach refuses to provide any, does a cub reporter risk negative evaluation for not succeeding? it seems to me like she's pointing out there are lose-lose outcomes of no information/made-up information, and she chose to go the way of providing made-up...errr...accurately impressionistic information. i'm curious about the kinds of pressures that exist and can lead to this choice.

yes, absolutely.
i'm not trying to cut too close to the bone here. obviously you run a media company that both reports on golf issues and also partners with golf companies. i don't know first hand, but there are ways in which i'm betting that balance is occasionally challenging. for what it's worth, i think THP does it better than anywhere i've seen in the leisure-sports segment. fishing and hunting media is often terrible at it, and loses so much credibility as a result. sometimes remaining silent is the best option; Thompson admits (and then weirdly retracts) making things up instead of being silent. doing that is an error (and the disservice that you mention) but i can also understand that there is a lot of pressure early in a career to both get something when it's your one task and for it to please the corporate partners.
Honestly I didnt even think like that.
But I can say (I believe I have mentioned it before), only one time in 15 years has a golf company said something to even come close. I told them I wasn't interested and that was it.

I had to look up who she was.....lol. But coming out and saying , "here's a quote form he coach" when it was a lie....never Quote when its a lie. buh bye

Yeah I get why the interviews have to happen but no, don’t make &$@& up.

yes, absolutely.

in the example of these puff piece half-time coach interactions, what is the way the job should be done if there's nothing offered? if the job is to get some content and the coach refuses to provide any, does a cub reporter risk negative evaluation for not succeeding? it seems to me like she's pointing out there are lose-lose outcomes of no information/made-up information, and she chose to go the way of providing made-up...errr...accurately impressionistic information. i'm curious about the kinds of pressures that exist and can lead to this choice.
There’s a lot of pressure, yes, when you know you need something.

In your example, I think many sideline reporters would rely on previous conversations or things that were said earlier in the week. “Coach X said Y was a big factor earlier this week, and that did or didn’t go well in the first half, so you can expect to see that as a focus in the second half” rather than attributing “coach X told
Me this at halftime” when that isn’t the case. If that’s the case of what actually happened.

Back