Charleston SC Area

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll be in the Charleston area in mid-May and wife has granted me at least one round (hopefully one day for two rounds) and I'm curious of several things. First, it's easy driving distance to Kiawah Island and I'd love to play the Ocean Course but at $400+ that's not realistic. Does anyone know if all the Kiawah Island courses are that expensive? Also, if those all turn out to be above my budget, are there any courses you'd recommend?

Also, it's likely it'll be a weekday, but would anyone be up for meeting up?

Any of the courses in Mt. Pleasant are fun. Charleston National, Dunes West, and Patriots Point.

Wild Dunes on IOP is solid too.

You can look up the Kiawah rates on their website. The other courses (i.e., not Ocean) are cheaper than Ocean but relatively pricey.

See if you can get on Seabrook too...that's basically the same distance as Kiawah and might be cheaper

Patriot's Point was reasonably priced and right on the water. Their one "island" par 3 is rough if the wind is coming off the water

When we played the Ocean Course a couple months ago we also did Charleston National. It was great. I've also heard Patriots Point and Stono are good options as well

I just played 4 of the 5 Kiawah courses in October. The only ones worth the price were Osprey and Ocean and because I stayed there the rate was under $200 per round.

I would recommend looking at Charleston Muni. It is a very old course and still has the feeling of an old course. Square bunkers, elevated greens, and they roll nicely.

@GolfTravelDude informed me that the second play rate is available for the Ocean Course, so you may be able to play a course on the Island for about $200 (that's a guess), then play the Ocean Course at they replay (or whatever they call it) rate. If I had the time, that is exactly what I would do. I have played about 5 of the Kiawah courses, but it's been about 20 years so I can't really help too much.

Kiawah with no traffic is about 30-40 minutes from downtown. The Ocean course is about 15-20 minutes from the main gate.

Somebody else mentioned Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms - I played both courses there last May and had a very positive experience. They're a little pricey but nowhere near the Kiawah cost. You could play both the Links and the Harbor and still get away over $100 cheaper than playing the Ocean Course once.

As mentioned earlier. If you really want to play the Ocean at Kiawah is play it as a replay. You can't book it ahead of time though. You play one of the other Kiawah courses and then go play the Ocean. The replay rate is 1/2 price. It's still not cheap but you can play two courses for price of one.

True Blue and Caledonia are about an hour north of Charleston. Drove past them yesterday on the way to Charleston airport

True Blue and Caledonia are about an hour north of Charleston. Drove past them yesterday on the way to Charleston airport
Yeah I saw that too, a lot of great options. Some will depend on transportation since we're renting one car wife may not be down with my being gone with lone source of transportation pretty much all day :LOL:

Yeah I saw that too, a lot of great options. Some will depend on transportation since we're renting one car wife may not be down with my being gone with lone source of transportation pretty much all day :LOL:
I hear you! I’m in the same boat while staying in Myrtle Beach area:D so understand completely!

When we played the Ocean Course a couple months ago we also did Charleston National. It was great. I've also heard Patriots Point and Stono are good options as well
your day at Charleston National wasn’t the best to show off the course 😂😂 but it was fun
I just played 4 of the 5 Kiawah courses in October. The only ones worth the price were Osprey and Ocean and because I stayed there the rate was under $200 per round.

I would recommend looking at Charleston Muni. It is a very old course and still has the feeling of an old course. Square bunkers, elevated greens, and they roll nicely.

I know every one has their opinion and osprey is good, but man I love cougar haha. Also, muni wasn’t always like that. It was just redone (very badly needed) and in homage to Seth raynor (architect for country club of Charleston nearby and yeamans hall in Hanahan).

@thewilderside, it all depends on where you’re staying. If you’re staying in mt pleasant, Kiawah is a haul and traffic either down or back will make you want to scream haha.

course for your money: muni, pine forest, crowefield, possibly legend oaks.

higher price but worth it: Charleston National, stono, rivertowne, mayyybe wild dunes links

stay away: patriots point, shadowmoss,

id be down to join if I’m off work that day. Love to meet up with THPers!!

How are they maintaining Pine Forest @PapaJohick? My dad had a place by the 3rd green up until about a year ago, but it seemed like every year was a roller coaster for them to actually maintain the property.

It's a pretty fun layout - lots of challenging green complexes.

your day at Charleston National wasn’t the best to show off the course 😂😂 but it was fun

I know every one has their opinion and osprey is good, but man I love cougar haha. Also, muni wasn’t always like that. It was just redone (very badly needed) and in homage to Seth raynor (architect for country club of Charleston nearby and yeamans hall in Hanahan).

@thewilderside, it all depends on where you’re staying. If you’re staying in mt pleasant, Kiawah is a haul and traffic either down or back will make you want to scream haha.

course for your money: muni, pine forest, crowefield, possibly legend oaks.

higher price but worth it: Charleston National, stono, rivertowne, mayyybe wild dunes links

stay away: patriots point, shadowmoss,

id be down to join if I’m off work that day. Love to meet up with THPers!!
We're staying in Hanahan. As we get closer I'll try to get my wife to commit to which day it'll be so I can give lots of advance notice. Would love to tee it up with a fellow THPer :D

How are they maintaining Pine Forest @PapaJohick? My dad had a place by the 3rd green up until about a year ago, but it seemed like every year was a roller coaster for them to actually maintain the property.

It's a pretty fun layout - lots of challenging green complexes.

ya that’s their biggest issue. Fairways and rough can be questionable. Greens typically stay pretty good but not consistent across the course haha.

I love the layout. It’s so unique and fun. Plus for the money it’s hard to beat. You can usually play it for under 45$ which is unheard of in Charleston.

We're staying in Hanahan. As we get closer I'll try to get my wife to commit to which day it'll be so I can give lots of advance notice. Would love to tee it up with a fellow THPer :D

Hanahan opens up a lot of good options. Kiawah would be tough for sure buttttt it’s Kiawah haha. Sooo if it’s in the cards, then go for it. My favorite place in the world is walking the last 3 holes of Kiawah in the afternoon. Nothing better and I mean that with everything in me haha.

Okay, for anyone interested, in negotiations with the Mrs it looks like I'm targeting Thursday, May 12th as the day. Weather rain-check would be Tuesday, May 17th. My plan is an earlyish round (~730-8) at (thanks to @PapaJohick for the recs) Legend Oaks, followed by an afternoon round (~2) at Links at Stono Ferry.

Last edited:
Okay, for anyone interested, in negotiations with the Mrs it looks like I'm targeting Thursday, May 12th as the day. Weather rain-check would be Tuesday, May 17th. My plan is an earlyish round (~730-8) at (thanks to @PapaJohick for the recs) Legend Oaks, followed by an afternoon round (~2) at Stono Links.
Have fun at Stono...when I lived in Charleston I wanted to play there but never was able to. I did manage to get on Kiawah Ocean and Wild Dunes...so I guess it was ok 😀

Have a great time - we are down for the first of our several annual visits arriving on 9 April. I plan to play the Charleston Muni - even as a muni it's on my bucket list as supposedly one of the top 5 munis in the country - and my Dad played it over 100 years ago when he was young. I will probably do Stono Ferry (is that the one you meant)? while there too. But my wife and I are doing serious house hunting that's our priority. Enjoy your trip.

Have a great time - we are down for the first of our several annual visits arriving on 9 April. I plan to play the Charleston Muni - even as a muni it's on my bucket list as supposedly one of the top 5 munis in the country - and my Dad played it over 100 years ago when he was young. I will probably do Stono Ferry (is that the one you meant)? while there too. But my wife and I are doing serious house hunting that's our priority. Enjoy your trip.
The muni is one of the better muni's I've played. I would go to their range all the time because it was close to where I lived, when there

@thewilderside - thanks for doing some initial legwork for me. I'm staying at Wild Dunes for 2 weeks in Mid-June. The wife has allotted me 4 days to play golf over the span. Going to play the 2 Wild Dunes courses, and now I have some research to do for my other 2 choices.

Back