Chasing Distance...Sustainable Swing?

Jack Nicklaus usually swung well within himself and only rarely tried for maximum driver distance.

I think it really depends on his genetics. There are some pro sports guys that can go for decades (Nolan Ryan) and then there are guys that their body betrays them relatively early (Sandy Koufax). And tons of guys inbetween.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love watching Bryson but I see his career being more like Tiger’s longevity wise than Phil.
I’m not talking about the same amount of success of course, I’m talking about his body breaking down.
I’ll be diplomatic and say “bulked up” guys like BDC, Koepka, and mid career Tiger dont have a long shelf life. those type of bodies break down quickly.

Speaking of ‘bulking up”. Remember, Duval did it shortly after his 59. And his game went down the toilet for years. Personally, I don’t think his body type was meant for it and his game suffered. Before he essentially retired, he seemed to get off the “buff” boat and he started to play much better- but it wasn’t “better enough”.
Body type, genetics, mental approach and technique all have to click to be effective. And that would apply to any sport.

I think it can take a toll on his body for sure but he seems to compensate for the aggressive twisting by letting his feet move more freely. I think we’re at a breaking point for distance though. Augusta proves time and time again it’s more about being able to hit your shots and make a chip/putt rather than bombing one 360 yards down the fairway

I think it can take a toll on his body for sure but he seems to compensate for the aggressive twisting by letting his feet move more freely. I think we’re at a breaking point for distance though. Augusta proves time and time again it’s more about being able to hit your shots and make a chip/putt rather than bombing one 360 yards down the fairway
I know I’m going to get blasted for this, but I think with where and how far the guys are hitting it, the only defense Augusta has left are tricks like baking the greens the way they did Thursday, and tucking the pins in “no go” zones.
When they don’t do those types of things, guys light it up out there.
Take away the scoring averages for the guys who don’t matter, like the past champions over 50, and the Am’s, and it’s obvious this course doesn’t scare these guys.
They all do the necessary genuflecting in the direction of Butler Cabin, but this isn’t Oakmont or Winged Foot we’re talking about. It’s a very gettable golf course for them without the manipulations.

Speaking of ‘bulking up”. Remember, Duval did it shortly after his 59. And his game went down the toilet for years. Personally, I don’t think his body type was meant for it and his game suffered. Before he essentially retired, he seemed to get off the “buff” boat and he started to play much better- but it wasn’t “better enough”.
Body type, genetics, mental approach and technique all have to click to be effective. And that would apply to any sport.

I often thought the same thing about what happened to him.

I know I’m going to get blasted for this, but I think with where and how far the guys are hitting it, the only defense Augusta has left are tricks like baking the greens the way they did Thursday, and tucking the pins in “no go” zones.
Take away the scoring averages for the guys who don’t matter, like the past champions over 50, and the Am’s, and it’s obvious this course doesn’t scare these guys.
They all do the necessary genuflecting in the direction of Butler Cabin, but this isn’t Oakmont or Winged Foot we’re talking about. It’s a very gettable golf course for them without the manipulations.

I agree. In November the winning score was -20. That should never be for a major. As it is, the winning score is usually in the minus double digits. So far this edition seems to have baffled the longer hitters as they seem to have deserted the first page of the leaderboard. I would think they would have an advantage in hitting shorter clubs into those firm greens. But I digress, lol.

The thing is, we are ALL going to get old. And we will lose clubhead speed. Last season I embarked on a project to gain flexibility in order to produce a longer swing and thus, longer shots! The deal is, it didn't work! I hit the ball all over the clubface doing that, and the results were very inconsistent. What I've decided to do this year is still take a full turn, just a little shorter where I can't see the clubhead from the left peripheral vision of my left eye!

Long story short, I hit the ball farther! Why? Because I'm hitting it in the center of the clubface.

Lets remember it’s not a impact sport other than balls strike, yes some swings are fluid others forced and In Bryson’s case he a disciple of end range movement. The amounts of rehab and medicine scientifically analysed stroke and physiology the players etc are exposed to would maximise their tour life. He is in ground breaking territory so it’s speculative as to his lifespan. The game embraces all shapes and sizes and genders, does it matter that they are not elite tour player ? Or more that they given something to the game and smiles and enjoyment to others as they leave their mark and play the game at lesser standard albeit healthy

But wouldn’t you say the manipulations are part of the course and that’s what makes it hard? I’m not saying this in a snarky way but that’s essentially saying Pinehurst No.2 is an easy course if you take away the undulation in the greens. Sure it’s definitely a short course, but your short game absolutely must be on point to win. I think Bryson is the perfect example of this.

But wouldn’t you say the manipulations are part of the course and that’s what makes it hard? I’m not saying this in a snarky way but that’s essentially saying Pinehurst No.2 is an easy course if you take away the undulation in the greens. Sure it’s definitely a short course, but your short game absolutely must be on point to win. I think Bryson is the perfect example of this.
i get what you’re saying, but I think Pinehurst’s ridan greens are synonymous with the course,an intricate part of it’s design, and they don’t need to be tricked up to make the course play hard. They ARE hard to play, both on approach and when on.
I think yesterday afternoon was as good an example of what I’m talking about as Thursday was with the baked out greens that weren’t holding good iron shots.
The pin placements for Saturday were all tucked within 7-8 feet from the edges of greens, in order to “control” scoring. Then the rain came, and even that didn’t matter. I think they said the scoring was 2-3 shots lower on average once it rained, even with the pins tucked.
Im not saying AN isn’t a terrific course, I’m just saying it isn’t really anything that today’s players should be concerned without or fear. The only nerves they should feel are from the fact it’s a majo.
I love the tournament and it’s history within the game, but it has the weakest field of any major IMO. Its a beloved event amongst the fans and the players, and sort of an opening day event for the season for a lot of us. I just feel there are times the pageantry and hushed reverance surrounding it get a little over the top, and the course, while post card perfect to the eye, really needs to be tricked up now or *shudder* the guys will go very low.

Last edited:
I think yesterday afternoon was as good an example of what I’m talking about as Thursday was with the baked out greens that weren’t holding good iron shots.
The pin placements for Saturday were all tucked within 7-8 feet from the edges of greens, in order to “control” scoring. Then the rain came, and even that didn’t matter. I think they said the scoring was 2-3 shots lower on average once it rained.
Im not saying AN isn’t a terrific course, I’m just saying it isn’t really anything that today’s players should be concerned without or fear. The only nerves they should feel are from the fact it’s a majo.
I love the tournament and it’s history within the game, but it has the weakest field of any major IMO. Its a beloved event amongst others the fans and the players, and sort of an opening day event for the season for a lot of us. I just feel there are times the pageantry and hushed reverance surrounding it get a little over the top, and the course, while post card perfect to the eye, really needs to be tricked up now or *shudder* the guys will go very low. That is something the green jackets never want to see.
I can definitely agree that it is probably the lowest scoring major of the 4. That said, they got pretty lucky with the weather this week. If it was drier I don’t think we necessarily have the same scores

I never cease to be amazed at the justifications golfers use to be skinny and weak.

But also, why does Augusta need some special defense or protection? Why does any golf course need special protection? What's wrong with low and low scores at Augusta or any golf course?

Last edited:
I dunno. I’m 42 and have swung balls out every swing I’ve ever swung. I’ve had no problems. As recently as spring of 2018 I was in the low 130’s CHS with driver and 3+w.

I hit 110 with 4I this year and 118 with driver, accident and illness slowed things. Fitness slowly getting some back.

Doesn’t matter I can’t golf for crap right now.

I never cease to be amazed at the justifications golfers use to be skinny and weak.

But also, why does Augusta need some special defense or protection? Why does any golf course need special protection? What's wrong with low and low scores at Augusta or any golf course?
Ego?
Those green jackets hate the idea of their “tooniment“leader board looking like one from the Bob Hope Classic.

Ego?
Those green jackets hate the idea of their “tooniment“leader board looking like one from the Bob Hope Classic.

Yep! And it's the same at Oakmont, Winged Foot, you name it.

I love watching Bryson but I see his career being more like Tiger’s longevity wise than Phil.
I’m not talking about the same amount of success of course, I’m talking about his body breaking down.
I’ll be diplomatic and say “bulked up” guys like BDC, Koepka, and mid career Tiger dont have a long shelf life. those type of bodies break down quickly.
There are things Bryson is doing that counter that argument, like the aggressive clear of his leading foot so it's not as hard on the knee. Not to mention the never ending suggestions that at least two guys on your list juiced at some point, which is a great way to destroy your body.

If he did it and continues to do it right, with scientific methods to support his body long term, I think the comparisons don't hold water - but that's up to Bryson not you or me haha..

I also don't think he maxes distance forever. I think he finds a certain point and recognizes there's a distinct difference between speed and control that he needs to respect - and places like Augusta are constant reminders of why.

There are things Bryson is doing that counter that argument, like the aggressive clear of his leading foot so it's not as hard on the knee. Not to mention the never ending suggestions that at least two guys on your list juiced at some point, which is a great way to destroy your body.

I’ve seen some”skinny and weak” golfers that hit it further than me. I’m likely not as strong but I’m built about like you.

I’m not skinny. I’m not crazy strong but I’m working on it. I’m strong where it’s needed. My arms have 4.2 gorilla grip strength (don’t ask how it’s measured).

I guarantee I’m a decent BJJ match for anyone not in the top 10 in the world close to my weight.

Oh and golf forum, I still hit 50% of my drives 300 or so. I enjoy it. If I lose one right or left a round, ok.

I didn't accuse anyone of anything, I just said it's a common rumor.
Right. I did miss the "neverending suggestions" part.

Back