Childhood Cafeteria Food

Someone just sent this to me and i drooled

IMG_1877.jpeg

My favorites there the thanksgiving meal, Chicken Fried Steak, and Steak Fingers. My elementary would also do Cinnamon Rolls on Friday mornings which are still the best I've ever had. They would make a bunch extra and many of the parents would come in to buy a dozen or two and take to work.

My favorites were chicken tenders day with a roll on the side, thanksgiving day, and cheese stick day.

I don’t even remember what we had in the cafeterias. I seem to remember that Mom made lunch for us the majority of the time.

Square pizza, corn, chocolate milk. Lunch of champions.

Weiner Wraps were a favorite some where in those years.
We called them weiner winks. I loved them too if this is what you're talking about.

1706731411480.png

Square pizza Fridays here too. Only thing better was Indian taco day! 🔥🔥🔥

Pretty basic in my day, if you wanted hot lunch you got what was on the daily menu. I usually had hot lunch when homemade cherry cobbler was on the menu, can still remember the great smell wafting down the hallway.

I carried lunch in elementary school, 60’s. bought in the late 60’s-70’s. I was all about the fish sandwich Friday and the lasagna. As mentioned earlier the thanksgiving lunch was good too. Nothing else was particularly memorable. Last two years of high school was open campus, we took off and ate junk….and took liberal advantage of those freedoms😉.

Pretty basic in my day, if you wanted hot lunch you got what was on the daily menu. I usually had hot lunch when homemade cherry cobbler was on the menu, can still remember the great smell wafting down the hallway.
We had great peach cobbler. You could smell it and the yeast rolls that we had most every day all throughout the first floor of my HS.

We called them weiner winks. I loved them too if this is what you're talking about.

View attachment 9239783
My Wife use to make Mini Weiner Wraps for our Daughters. She used ready made biscuit
dough, and washed Vienna Sausages. They were a big deal at slumber parties.

Our Daughters continued on with this recipe with our Grandkids.

My favorite was BBQ chicken with rice. It was so good.

Pizza Fridays were awesome too. You could order doubles on pizza day, where you'd get 2 slices but you had to buy them that morning from your teacher. You'd form a line at her desk, you'd hand over your money and she'd hand you a ticket for your lunch. If you got doubles on pizza day, you got 2 tickets and handed them to the lunch lady for 2 slices along with the sides. Well, one day Danny waltzed up to Mrs Fernald's desk and loudly claimed "I want TRIPLE pizza today!" and tried to hand over his money. This set off a chain of events that's laughable in hindsight, but our teacher didn't know if this was even possible. A call to the office ensued, who then called the cafeteria, who then sent one of the lunch ladies to our room to confirm that this 6th grader did indeed want THREE whole slices of rectangle pizza. She said it was ok, and Danny got his three slices. He was our hero that day.

I brown-bagged almost every day in grade school/high school so I never got to enjoy the delicacies of school cafeteria food. The only thing I did dabble in a couple times a week was a soft pretzel with cup of warm cheese to dip in.
I usually did the brown bag because the food was not good.

We had so much rice when I was in school. It was much cheaper than instant potatoes so that's what we got. Hamburger or Salisbury steak, fried chicken and "beef" tips all came with rice. Potatoes were a rarity. I remember that we got FFs on burger/hot dog/sandwich day and could usually count on instant mashed for the meals preceding Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter breaks. But, we had amazing yeast rolls almost every day.

Pizza day was always a favorite. Schools in our area also has a chilli day where the chilli was served in a hard tortilla bowl and covered with cheese, you ate the chilli and cheese then took out the tortilla bowl it was great.

No such thing as school lunch cafeteria in my day, NZ didn't have them, or at least not where I grew up. Home made by mum until high school when you maybe got enough lunch money to get a pie at the dairy.

Square pizza, corn, chocolate milk. Lunch of champions.
yes sir. And at my HS that was every Friday. We also got a side salad...which was just doused in some sort of italian dressing. It was amazing.

Chocolate milk in the bag was thheeeeee 💣

yes sir. And at my HS that was every Friday. We also got a side salad...which was just doused in some sort of italian dressing. It was amazing.
90% dressing, 10% salad.

yup, and the salad was basically just some shredded lettuce and one cherry tomato.
You got a cherry tomato? Fancy. We just got the ole tomato wedge on top of the shredded iceberg lettuce. Every once in a while we got a cucumber slice thrown in.

Back