Childhood Cafeteria Food

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We were having a conversation a couple of days ago about elementary and middle school cafeteria food. Now I am product of the 70s and 80s, but some of my favorites were.

Mexican Pizza Day was awesome.

2189071476311940096ab439e4e50092.jpg

Salisbury steak day was also great. Ours came with mashed potatoes.

grosslunch-700x325.jpg

Also enjoyed fish stick day, sloppy joe day and taco day. Am I alone in enjoying these wonderful delicacies?

Not alone. I pre-date you so we didn’t get delicacies like Mexican pizza. But I still jones for that plain old greasy cheese pizza they served in elementary school!

Mexican Pizza for the win!!!

I always brought my lunch to school, back in the 60’s. Missed out on the delicacy of cafeteria cuisine.

Mexican pizza day was killer. We also had our own version of the McRib they called a Ribecue sandwich. Then we had a snack shop where we could buy bags of chips and get hot nacho cheese poured into the bags. Nom nom nom.

You guys would have your hearts broken if you saw what school food is like now.

From my own days, I think I miss the cafeteria thanksgiving meal the most. It was special and perfect in its own way.

I always brought my lunch to school, back in the 60’s. Missed out on the delicacy of cafeteria cuisine.
Elementary School in the 60s for me too, and I usually brought my own lunch because the cafeteria food was SO BAD!

I was a HUGE fan of mashed potatoes and the meat gravy.
1599578584004.png

• Admin
Mexican pizza day was killer. We also had our own version of the McRib they called a Ribecue sandwich.

How did I forget about the Ribecue. That was a good one.

We were having a conversation a couple of days ago about elementary and middle school cafeteria food. Now I am product of the 70s and 80s, but some of my favorites were.

Mexican Pizza Day was awesome.

View attachment 8962487

Even before I clicked on the thread, I fully expected to see this pizza. It was the BEST!

Salsbury steak was amazing. Fridays was giant square pizza day (i'd usually buy 2 slabs as Friday's were usually game days ).

Rectangle pizzas were my favorite of middle school.
High school it was Chicken Divan!!

Square pizza Fridays. The other great one was the lumberjack , think corn dog but was breakfast sausage and pancake

1599579064293.png

I lived a block from school and walked home for lunch. Yep, I'm weird for a lot of reasons... :unsure:"Home lunched?" :ROFLMAO:

The two big ones for me were chicken nuggets and pizza. My last day of high school I may have had a triple order of nuggets and mashed potatoes.

Never had Mexican Pizza Day (Is this like Taco Bell Mexican Pizza they used to have?)

Couple things...

Every Friday was Pizza Day. Like, rectangle Elio's pizza. In elementary school, my friend Kenny Warren would smash it in his face first, then eat it. I don't know how the tradition started, but we all used to stand around chanting "smash, smash, smash!" and then he'd do it.

One year, my mom gave me money each day for lunch but I didn't use it. I skipped lunch and then bought a bike. While I was fishing, that bike was stolen on the second day I had it, but the perp was chased down by an ambulance that I stopped for help.

So you could say school lunches will eventually put you in an ambulance.

The rib sandwich, the rectangle pizza, the chicken nuggets, the octagon mexican pizza... My favorite may have been chicken nugget day, though. They always had corn that day, and the middle school I went to may have had the best bbq sauce I've had with chicken nuggets to date, and after my nuggets were gone, I'd mix the corn into the bbq sauce. The hamburgers were always weak. I don't think we ever had salisbury steak.

Never had Mexican Pizza Day (Is this like Taco Bell Mexican Pizza they used to have?)
It was not like the mexican pizza at taco bell. I don't know what all was on it, but there was no beans or anything like that. I might have just been a pizza with taco season ground beef on it and cheddar instead of mozzarella.

Mmmmmmmmmm, cafeteria food!

images

Overly salty gravy on the mashed potatoes sticks out.
And the rectangle pizza.
Later 5th or 6th grade-ish, one of the other kid's parents owned a Marcos pizza franchise so we used to get Steak and Swiss subs.
That was pretty stellar.

I brown-bagged almost every day in grade school/high school so I never got to enjoy the delicacies of school cafeteria food. The only thing I did dabble in a couple times a week was a soft pretzel with cup of warm cheese to dip in.

Back