Choosing a Golf Ball?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Jason Finley breaks down how to choose your golf ball.

Great advice as to how to find a ball that works for you.

Always on the golf course & from the green back to the tee 👍

I really hope golf ball fittings become more mainstream.

With new irons this year I’ll probably start testing balls again to see what I feel works best for me. I think the biggest areas I notice changes is driving distance, driver dispersion/control, and iron spin.

Fantastic advice. I think it's easy to get stuck in the weeds a bit, especially with things like ballnamic, but on course results should speak for themselves.

Oh I love that he said focus on an area that you want to work on. Wanting to be better around the greens is especially why I'm excited to try the CTX this year!

This guy, just drops knowledge form years in experience.....

Couldn't agree more with him. I'm on the second category with trying to do something that'll help my bad. I guess I never really thought about doing it in a way that my best remain my best shots.

I will say, I have fully committed to a Callaway ball this year, unfortunately not the one that I already have a few dozen of - but a different one. What I think I need and what numbers come out better have been different for me.

Oh I love that he said focus on an area that you want to work on. Wanting to be better around the greens is especially why I'm excited to try the CTX this year!
Same, that is fully my thing. I want to get a better fix on my bad shots, that's what is holding me back the most.

Works for me. When trying new balls-driver is the last thing I check. Always start on and around the green.

I think this is great advice. And not only for balls but for clubs and in particular driver. Nothing ( at least for me ) is better than on course head to head testing .

With my swing definitely always focusing on areas I want to work on. ;)

Great advice and a good way to think about how to find the right ball. I too often think about finding my gamer ball as just going on the launch monitor and hitting full swing shots and looking at the data, but there's way more to it. I think it was also mentioned maybe in the Goat Cup thread - Finley said to always take the balls out on the course. Launch monitor is great and all, but you can really see them in action when you get to see the full flight.

Love this advice on choosing a golf ball. A lot of times in the past I had invested in a decision on a ball from just putting indoors or whatever and end up stuck with a few dozen that I dont love playing.

Also, its funny watching the Jason videos from post round at Briggs. You can tell the order in which these were filmed based on the Mtn Dew left in his cup lol

On the course is essential.

Launch monitor is great and all, but you can really see them in action when you get to see the full flight.
One of the things he discussed quite a bit was dimple design not really being part of the launch monitor data equation due to how much info is grabbed and when.
We talked about this quite a bit a year or two ago on THP, when we talked about how much difference a fit makes based on ball.

Not sure if the comment from green to tee was intentional, but I always like to start on the green with any new ball.... love feel/sound off putter first for some reason.

Not sure if the comment from green to tee was intentional, but I always like to start on the green with any new ball.... love feel/sound off putter first for some reason.
I'm sure it probably was. Esp with the amount of adjustability in drivers these days, most can fine tune a driver to get great performance out of a golf ball.

Perfect advice. I know for my game I rely on my short game to save me a lot, so I want ball with the right amount of spin that gives me the amount of check/roll out that I expect to be able to put chips the closest possible. Then to go to the tee box and make sure it doesn't get too much spin on the driver to kill my distance or get crazy offline.

Same, that is fully my thing. I want to get a better fix on my bad shots, that's what is holding me back the most.
My problem is there is no ball that is going to help my bad shots. Maybe need to chance my thinking to what helps my marginal shots.

One of the things he discussed quite a bit was dimple design not really being part of the launch monitor data equation due to how much info is grabbed and when.
We talked about this quite a bit a year or two ago on THP, when we talked about how much difference a fit makes based on ball.
Makes sense. I'm sure launch monitors may eventually be able to pick up on these nuances as technology improves, but its still hard to beat seeing actual flight and on course with real conditions. One thing that I was super impressed by with the CT was how well it cut through wind. No way I would have been able to pick that up on the launch monitor.

My problem is there is no ball that is going to help my bad shots. Maybe need to chance my thinking to what helps my marginal shots.
I look at it more as a ball that minimizes my bad shots

Makes sense. I'm sure launch monitors may eventually be able to pick up on these nuances as technology improves, but its still hard to beat seeing actual flight and on course with real conditions. One thing that I was super impressed by with the CT was how well it cut through wind. No way I would have been able to pick that up on the launch monitor.
In a lot of ways, its down range flight more than initial. Launch monitors do a very good job of initial flight. Its down range and how the dimple reacts with air that really is nuanced.

I look at it more as a ball that minimizes my bad shots
Right, I'm talking not about the topped ball that goes 10ft. That's what I meant to shifting my thoughts to marginal or poor shots, not atrocious.

Yea, Jason is so right about how you can like a ball based on numbers and even on a simulator. But, the best is to actually play.

I know I probably look too much at distance and feel. Not enough in spin and control around the green.

Back