Choosing a Golf Ball?

Right, I'm talking not about the topped ball that goes 10ft. That's what I meant to shifting my thoughts to marginal or poor shots, not atrocious.
Exactly. there are some balls that I know get too spinny for me off driver and either balloon or slice/hook too much. So I need something that minimizes that while still performing into the green.

I agree and like a ball based on how it performs and feels around the green. I am not sure if I am the only one like this, but I just don’t perform that well around the green with a ball that spins. I am so used to playing a ball that rolls out more. I know with four level balls, I can get it to run but have some that check up when I don’t expect it.

Great info from the man himself.

Instagram is blocked at work. Historically, I have just used on course evaluation. I haven't used indoor simulators to refine the on course assessments. Due to slower swing speed, I gravitate towards ProV1, TP5 or Chrome Soft as I want the short game control. Lately, I realized my wedges have worn down grooves and any of the balls have more difficulty checking up on pitches and full shots. So, I am not getting full benefit of the urethane covers.

Ideally, I would want to hit balls to a green from key yardages to see how the ball behaves on approach shots and then hit multiple drives with each ball candidate to see how they perform off the driver.

Exactly. there are some balls that I know get too spinny for me off driver and either balloon or slice/hook too much. So I need something that minimizes that while still performing into the green.

This is me as well. I can get spinny with the driver so look for a ball that can mitigate that while giving me just enough feel and performance around the green,

Simple enough, but great advice...

Interesting!!!! For some reason I never considered the dimple design not being able to be considered.

Get out, play golf, find the one that is right for you!

I always find the ball plays differently outside then it does indoors or on a launch monitor. We play golf out side and there is wind, and elevation and all kinds of things that make a ball play differently than you might expect.

Right, I'm talking not about the topped ball that goes 10ft. That's what I meant to shifting my thoughts to marginal or poor shots, not atrocious.
Yeah, no ball is going to save that one topped shot I get a round. There is however a ball that helps me be the best version of my bad shots, and that's the ball I want.

I like what he said about if you have a good part of your game and you want to make sure you keep that, for me that is iron play, you want to find a ball that doesn't change that. That's exactly why I play the ball I currently play.

I always find the ball plays differently outside then it does indoors or on a launch monitor. We play golf out side and there is wind, and elevation and all kinds of things that make a ball play differently than you might expect.
Not having the elements to contend with is huge. I shot a 108 at Kapalua this weekend. I'm 100% certain that doesn't happen if I go there. The wetness, the grass, the different lie's all of that is huge and not considered. I don't know if one ball has the solution to all of that, but I do know that some perform better in the conditions that I typically face than others do.

I have such a hard time telling which ball is best for me and getting a launch monitor didn't really help. On course testing does make the most sense but for me i think if i find one that helps keep the spin down off the tee and mid irons that is what I will play

I absolutely agree that from the green back is vastly the best way to evaluate balls. I seem to be happy with a wide range of balls. That is, until I have driver in my hands.

Because I can get crooked with driver, I'm sensitive to the ball's extreme wrt turn. No ball will go straight with hook or slice spin applied, but different balls will have different characteristics as to degree of turn. It's why, if need be, I'll generally sacrifice optimized distance and greenside spin for a softer ball, which I've found to be less penal off the tee (I'm still mourning Wilson's discontinuation of the Duo-Pro).

So, because of this, and being disappointed by balls that check all the boxes from the green back until I get to driver, for the longest now, I'll just start from the tee with driver. If impressed there, I'll continue with the test. Aside from the Duo-Pro, urethane balls that I've found to work best for me are the newer version RB Tour and Z-Star. The RB Tour-X, in limited play, has shown real promise, too. For whatever reason, the Tour Response hasn't treated me well.

I will wait until my new wedges come in before evaluating any new ball candidates. I'm not getting the spin I want around the greens due to worn grooves.

Personally, I don't think one ball is the best solution for anyone other than the casual golfer who cant even hit the ball twice the same way in 5 tries. Then I don't think the ball matters much at all.
Just like being adamant about only playing one bag setup for varying conditions, being stuck playing just one ball for varying conditions often eliminates the best options for THAT DAY. People insist that changing things up keeps you from mastering what you have. I say nonsense, If you cant figure out what different balls or clubs will do for you under different conditions, you are probably inconsistent with what you are dead set on playing now without change, and yes, different clubs and balls on a particular round will still be inconsistent. Go figure..
There are so many options out there for spin profiles, trajectory and launch. A ball that spins more off the driver for those dogleg rich courses where you are working it off the tee all day. A lower spin ball for soft greens. The options are boundless if you can recognize and exploit the different balls virtues.

Love it. I just went and used the Online Golf Ball Selector tool (https://www.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/online-ball-selector/), and it recommended Chrome Soft based on me putting my handicap as 12, 245 yards for driver distance and selecting greenside control, distance, and workable as my top 3 features.

My priority is to try the new CT and CTX first, but maybe I need to rethink that.

Based on the below data. Which ball would one recommend me?
(Yes, I'm aware I lack consistency) (Let stick to Callaway or Titliest)

Carry (Avg)Carry (low/high)Ball Speed (Avg)Ball Speed (low/high)Club Speed (Avg)Club Speed (low/high)Spin Rate (Avg)Spin Rate (low/high)Smash Factor (Avg)
Driver239.4221.7/255.1151.5143.8/155.8104.6100.9/106.536042559/45881.45
7iron150.7142.4/155.9109.5103.7/111.982.475.6/86.057614331/67181.33

I test wedges and irons. Yes driver carry matters but it’s a max distance club by intent. Likely no more than 10 yards in it. Iron and wedge shots being off 10 yards is a big deal.

Great reminder for everyone.

Very good information. Some of my best ball testing, at least from a head to head perspective, has been done on the course when it's wide open and I can play 2 balls every hole. I can see the characteristics of each ball in the same conditions, on the same course, with very similar swings. You'll understand what Ball #1 does into the wind, versus ball #2. You'll understand how each behaves on the green from approach, or greenside. You'll see distance differences, and get great feedback on which ball feels better for you.

I wish I could play just one golf ball, but my home course is so littered with hazards that I would be buying a lot of golf balls. It's rare for any golfer to play 18 without losing at least one golf ball. Fortunately, I find a lot, and as a result haven't purchased any golf balls in over 15 years. When I go to other courses I play my ball of choice as those courses are wide open, or seem to be. I remember playing one course and the course pro telling me it was a tight driving course. I played 18 holes and didn't see one narrow fairway. They all seemed a mile wide to me.

I love this breakdown from the man himself. Though Callaway did make it a little tougher this year to decide with the Chrome Tour haha

Anything about a ball I can't find out from playing it for a few rounds at my home course, is something I don't need to know.

Personally, I don't think one ball is the best solution for anyone other than the casual golfer who cant even hit the ball twice the same way in 5 tries. Then I don't think the ball matters much at all.
Just like being adamant about only playing one bag setup for varying conditions, being stuck playing just one ball for varying conditions often eliminates the best options for THAT DAY. People insist that changing things up keeps you from mastering what you have. I say nonsense, If you cant figure out what different balls or clubs will do for you under different conditions, you are probably inconsistent with what you are dead set on playing now without change, and yes, different clubs and balls on a particular round will still be inconsistent. Go figure..
There are so many options out there for spin profiles, trajectory and launch. A ball that spins more off the driver for those dogleg rich courses where you are working it off the tee all day. A lower spin ball for soft greens. The options are boundless if you can recognize and exploit the different balls virtues.
I 100% disagree with this. As an amateur you want to eliminate as many variables as possible so that your inconsistencies can be managed better. The golf ball is the only piece of equipment you use for every shot. Changing that every time you play will make your inconsistencies worse. You need one ball to help maximize your misses, help control your spin, and help you get as much carry distance as your swing will produce. If you switched balls you would do more harm than good imo.

Back