Chopping wood to somewhat of a swing...help

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has been a long two years in the making, but after getting started and busting out in IOWA...something had to be done. I've always said video is evil, simply because it shows me what is actually going on...and it's bad! I decided to go do a swing evaluation and this is where I was in November of 2012. It was so bad, I gave up and just went along with learning on my own. With the Morgan Cup coming up, I couldn't leave it there anymore. Looking back, big mistake and would do it differently and follow up with lessons.

Hidden for those with a weak stomach

Spoiler

I wanted to give you a shout out and THANK YOU Freddie. You've always offered assistance at events and taken some of your valuable time to give me some pointers and direction. You may not have thought I listened, but your words stuck and drove me to read and watch more. Your advice to others...I've followed, listened, and watched. Taken some of them and tried to bring them into my own swing. Alas, I couldn't get things into my own head and then out to my body so that it would listen.

I've taken your previous advice to me, and to others and worked on areas the best I could and have come a long way since then. I had the opportunity to go see my swing evaluator CJ at GolfTec, thank you. I explained that I didn't want to start over from scratch and just deal with what I had and to do it in two months! He accepted the challenge, but gave no promises.

The first lesson was gut wrenching seeing a lot of things I thought I had moved on from. Two drills were given and I hit the range two days in a row hitting 540 balls (give or take the correct amount given) over those two days trying to ingrain some of the thoughts we discussed. I combined a swim noodle and my camera shaft mount to help with one of them.

I was really frustrated because I had to think about everything all over again, but for the good I imagine. Tried to take those thoughts with me to my round yesterday and that didn't go over too well.

Went to my second session last night and received some positive feedback from my instructor on the progress made over the two days. I have been given a third drill to work in with the other two and it finally is starting to make sense.

OK...to the point Freddie:
Take a look at the latest video of me working those three together and let me know your thoughts when you have time

Thanks again Freddie!

That change is remarkable. hard to get your body to make big changes sometimes but I really like the hip rotation and your delivery into the ball now.

Doug you correct, I didn't think you were listening but I am very glad you were. I know fixes are tough to hear and even tough to accept. The difference in the two swings is like night and day. I am going to wait for any feedback because your guy has you on the right track and what I see might confuse things for you.

I will say that when you club is at the top and you are headed into your down swing I would like you to try to pull with the left side and not the left arm. This will help with any over the top you might have an add some club head speed as well as initiate a the club falling into the slot.

I am not offer any feedback only because I want to see more progress with your guy. That is the only reason and nothing more. But please try the left side pulling and post back after a few more lessons and weeks of work. You are in a good place at this time. I will offer this one tip. Take one tip at a time and make sure that is working before you add another.

Doug you correct, I didn't think you were listening but I am very glad you were. I know fixes are tough to hear and even tough to accept. The difference in the two swings is like night and day. I am going to wait for any feedback because your guy has you on the right track and what I see might confuse things for you.

I will say that when you club is at the top and you are headed into your down swing I would like you to try to pull with the left side and not the left arm. This will help with any over the top you might have an add some club head speed as well as initiate a the club falling into the slot.

I am not offer any feedback only because I want to see more progress with your guy. That is the only reason and nothing more. But please try the left side pulling and post back after a few more lessons and weeks of work. You are in a good place at this time. I will offer this one tip. Take one tip at a time and make sure that is working before you add another.

Will do Freddie, thanks for the input and will give it a go when I hit the range again before going out of town next week.

I think I understand the slot, Andrew mentioned that also in a text to me. Sequence is a bit fast with the upper body (needs to delay a fraction so it falls?) and I think concentrating on the left side will allow it to fall into said slot? I'm finally starting to understand some of the lingo I think.

Will try and get some video from both the back and the side.

holy crap, dude. It might not be perfect yet... but this IMO thread should be stickied and referred to any time someone posts something like "but lessons won't work for me." Well done, sir!

Doug, exited to see your progress in Person! Keep doing the great work!

Doug, big changed my friend...from 1st to 2nd video, and in a VERY positive way. Like others have said, big changes like that can be a bit daunting, and it looks like you're doing a great job. Keep it up, hopefully one of these days we can finally met up for some golf!

Doug, being in one of your groups in IOWA and then looking at the latest video, it's like watching 2 different guys.....WAY better!!

Keep up the good work buddy!

A lot of the work came from Freddie and others tips and reading the advice he had given to others. Kang has helped a lot on course. Will post a vid of my initial swing before first lesson later. Still a difference can be seen between both pre lesson and after two lessons

Thanks for the input fellas!

I know from playing with you in person the amount of work you are putting in brother. Unbelievable change in a tremendously positive direction! I love it. You are playing decent golf now with a erratic swing... imagine when your swing is more repeatable with all this work! No doubt you will bring your best in july

Doug, big changed my friend...from 1st to 2nd video, and in a VERY positive way. Like others have said, big changes like that can be a bit daunting, and it looks like you're doing a great job. Keep it up, hopefully one of these days we can finally met up for some golf!
As my home town is near KC, MO...could be an option sooner than later. Some great hackers around your parts!

Doug, being in one of your groups in IOWA and then looking at the latest video, it's like watching 2 different guys.....WAY better!!

Keep up the good work buddy!
Believe me, that was painful to go through let alone watch. What a great time that was, and one of the many reasons I kept going, thanks Tim.

I know from playing with you in person the amount of work you are putting in brother. Unbelievable change in a tremendously positive direction! I love it. You are playing decent golf now with a erratic swing... imagine when your swing is more repeatable with all this work! No doubt you will bring your best in july
I can't stress enough the thanks owed to you as much as we've been playing and other reasons. I really appreciate your honest feedback...most of the time :alien:

I now have to agree with the masses about getting lessons. I thought I could do it on my own and with help from others. Freddie, you really don't know how much you've helped my man. Those few tips at the driving range at events, tips to others on the forum, and the round we played together...I put them to memory and worked at them.

The video aspect that I'm going through now is what helps make changes understandable being a visual guy. The past attempts at my own video and then not knowing what to look at (even though I thought I did), or to actually execute it on my own just didn't work. I guess I need to see what I'm doing....and not doing, to make improvements.

With help from Freddie and many others...I was able to get to this point. Granted, nobody that ever gave me a tip was there to see what I did with it...right or wrong. I was shocked and frustrated at what I saw, but looking back...progress. This is where I was before undertaking those two lessons:

Back