New England Clam Chowda is the only legitimate answer here.
Some nice secondary soups listed here that look yummy as well, but…

I only know the one and I don't eat it but the wife does, so New England it is

There is only New England..

I would eat them all, but New England is the superior form.

• CT
  • RI
  • Manhattan

New England. To be honest, I didnt even know most of these existed. I've seen / eaten Californian, but I thought that was just New England in a bread bowl.

California because of the bread bowl, which I may have had two orders of in one sitting in San Francisco in the mid 90's.

New England if I must, but if Crab Bisque in on the menu you can forget it.

New England chowdah is the best, and keep those tomatoes the hell away from my chowdah!

Special request - can I have the New England in a bread bowl and not call it California? :LOL:

mmmmm. Now I have a hunkering for Clam chowdah!!!!

I personally prefer my CHOWDAH steaming hot. But, It has to be on an equally steaming hot and humid day in the shadow of TRUE BLUE GC in Myrtle Beach during a THP Experience. lol......right @JB ??

And.....New England.

I think I've only had like two!

I'm glad most everyone is smart and picked mainly the right answer. I'll allow for the bread bowl option, but honestly a good NE chowder doesn't need it. Just add some oyster crackers.

Now, hollow out some bread and fill it with broccoli cheddar soup and I'm there.

New England or Maine for me

New England but I’d love to try the Portuguese version. Sounds great.

Always get the New England chowdah!
That was my feeling, but I think that there might be room for the California. When I was in the wine bidness at a particular company we would attend the Monterey Wine Festival every year. We would stay in Carmel and have breakfast at a place on Ocean Avenue that had an elevated patio where you could dine "al fresco" while gazing down at their rose garden! Those who have been there may recognize the place.

Our first breakfast there I would usually order the eggs benedict. I'm a big fan. My compatriots once asked why I ordered it, and I told them that they prepared it perfectly! Much better than I could find at home. However, on that trip I noticed that they had added a breakfast, "CRAB benedict!" Dungeness crab substituted for the canadian bacon! Are you kidding me?! I had to have it and it was magical.

Of course, now that I've had a chance to let this thought run through my brain a few times, I have some question. The crab benedict involved the substitution of an ingredient, where California chowder only involved dumping the same ingredients into a different container. I suppose if we might really want to elevate the California offering that they should substitute crab for clam. But, then they'd have to call it "crab chowder" instead of clam chowder.

And now that I think about it some more, I have to believe that there are restaurants in California who have done exactly that!

Clam chowder in an edible bowl? Of course the answer is Californian!!!

Is this acceptable?

1706666266764.png

Seems like most have never visited St. Augustine to enjoy the superior Minorcan clam chowder. Should get on that. Go to O'Steen's Seafood. Get a cup for you app and a pile of fried shrimp and hush puppies. Book it now, thank me later.

In the meantime...

Back