Review Cleveland Golf CBX Full Face Wedges

These are great wedges. Way better than most think.

I feel very silly that I waited so long to try this wedge, it is stupid easy to hit from anywhere. I thought the Honma W4 was a fine wedge but I was leaving so much workablility on the table. And apparently I live on the toe, good thing there are grooves out there...I bought and played the newest PM grind when they came out and moved on in two weeks from them.

I was not convinced I was going the RTX Zip core way for the 52 spot, but after today's round it will be added tomorrow and then both will get the Paderson Wedge shaft installed.

I feel very silly that I waited so long to try this wedge, it is stupid easy to hit from anywhere. I thought the Honma W4 was a fine wedge but I was leaving so much workablility on the table. And apparently I live on the toe, good thing there are grooves out there...I bought and played the newest PM grind when they came out and moved on in two weeks from them.

I was not convinced I was going the RTX Zip core way for the 52 spot, but after today's round it will be added tomorrow and then both will get the Paderson Wedge shaft installed.
I’ve had the FF in the bag all year and I’ve had great results. The workability is really it’s best feature. A lot easier to use than the PM Grind IMHO.

Drove into a fairway bunker today and got buried into the lip and had to get it up in the air about 4 feet within a foot and a half. FF did it no problem and I got about 70 yards down the hole for another 70 yard chip.

I wish they had a 52 or 54*

I picked up a 56* and had it bent to 54* and am very happy with it. It fits the gap from my Z545 AW and my 60* full face which I had bent to 58*

I got an extra large buck of balls and by the time I got through 140 or so I had another 20 left. I was about to just leave them because I was dog tired hitting 140 balls in +100 heat. I decided not to waste them and started pitching to the 50 yard marker and the 40 yard marker. I hit 4 or 5 good ones within 5 yards or so. I started opening the face up as much as I good. I had it opened as much as I could possibly get it and was still hitting great shots. This thing is amazing. A couple more session and some confidence and I might start pulling that shot out in the appropriate lies. It wouldn't cross my mind to hit a flop shot on the course previously. I would have just tried to get it over the hazard and and around as much as I could.

I got an extra large buck of balls and by the time I got through 140 or so I had another 20 left. I was about to just leave them because I was dog tired hitting 140 balls in +100 heat. I decided not to waste them and started pitching to the 50 yard marker and the 40 yard marker. I hit 4 or 5 good ones within 5 yards or so. I started opening the face up as much as I good. I had it opened as much as I could possibly get it and was still hitting great shots. This thing is amazing. A couple more session and some confidence and I might start pulling that shot out in the appropriate lies. It wouldn't cross my mind to hit a flop shot on the course previously. I would have just tried to get it over the hazard and and around as much as I could.

I use my FF 60 for trouble shots which often means not only opening the face up more than I'd normally be comfortable with but hitting off tough lies and awkward stances where it's hard to make solid contact.

A couple times I have seen the grass stain from impact so high and so far toward the toe I realize it would have just about been a whiff or a toe-jam with a normal wedge. Yet I'll be darned if the ball doesn't spin anyway. Seems like it ought not be possible.

Just a shot out to @Jman on the review of this wedge.
My short game this year has been outstanding and owe a lot to this 60* Full Face Wedge
Yesterday, playing in my League Championship in really wet conditions, I made 7 pars and 5 were 1 putts, all up and downs with this Full Face Wedge.
It got to the point were my cartner would say "Oh, you pushed to the fringe" and I would say "No Problem, I'll get up and down from there" and do it.
and that is not even counting the bogies that I make with 2 putts.
It really handles wet conditions really well.
It's been a great addition to my bag.

Yes, I trust my FF 60 a lot from muddy, soft lies. That spot in my bag it replaced a Vokey 60 D-grind which was better than most wedges in soft conditions but the FF 60 is in a whole 'nother league.

I could use some advice: New-ish golfer who dabbled in high school and college and now getting back into the game after 15 years thanks to receiving some new clubs as a gift. I've got Callaway Rogue X Irons 5 - AW (46*) and I think I need something for around the green and in the bunkers before I can really make a legitimate go of it out on the course. Decent natural ability and I hope to get better with more practice, but let's be serious, forgiveness is probably key. I was originally looking for a 56* sand wedge, these CBX full faces sound great from the review but most of the talk centers around the 60*. Any recommendations on what I should be looking at to fill out my bag?

I could use some advice: New-ish golfer who dabbled in high school and college and now getting back into the game after 15 years thanks to receiving some new clubs as a gift. I've got Callaway Rogue X Irons 5 - AW (46*) and I think I need something for around the green and in the bunkers before I can really make a legitimate go of it out on the course. Decent natural ability and I hope to get better with more practice, but let's be serious, forgiveness is probably key. I was originally looking for a 56* sand wedge, these CBX full faces sound great from the review but most of the talk centers around the 60*. Any recommendations on what I should be looking at to fill out my bag?
I have a 56/60 Full face. They are outstanding.

I too have the 56* and the 60* but have them adjusted to 54* and 58* to fit my set. I might reccomend a CBX2 50 or 52* to be used as an Gap wedge from your 46* PW to a 56* FF.

To be fair, I only had the 60 and 64 in for review ;)

Its all about what you want to do. If you’re playing straight forward shots, it’s CBX2 in the GW/SW and FF in the LW imo. If you want the sandy to be more versatile, the grind on the FF in 56 will let that happen.

Can anyone share their techniques out of the sand with this one? I meant to buy a 60* Full Face but bought a 56* by mistake (one too many beers Friday night) :)

I thought the Full Face might be a smaller head than the CBX. So for anyone that might be interested on how this wedge compares to a CBX here are some measurements I took with my digital calipers:

Sole width on the 60* CBX is 1.152”. The Full Face is a hair thinner at 1.132”

Face length CBX measured from where the face meets the hosel bend is 2.963”. Full face is 3.03” so FF is a hair longer blade. That surprised me.

Toe height of the CBX is 2.56”. FF is 2.63. So a hair taller on the FF.

Heel height is CBX 1.48”. FF is 1.295. The heel height is taller on the CBX for sure.

In the middle of the face height. CBX is 2.27” FF is 2.36.

So really other than the heel and center height, the FF pretty much is as big if not bigger than the CBX. I would have never thought that.
That is a good thing for me as I like a larger face at address.

side by side pic
26D5B6F5-018B-408F-A71A-E3F1D5DA25C7.jpeg

Catching up on this one - if I ever go away from my PM grind, it very well could be into this...

I have the 56° and the 60°. I also have a CBX 56°. I think the main difference (looks wise) is that the Full Face has the score lines almost all the way to the edge of the toe and the CBX/CBX2 has the score lines missing from about the last 1/2" from the toe, like most wedges. I like that because I tend to cut across the ball (right to left) and sometimes I actually hit the ball in that area. With the full face wedges I still have score lines to help put spin on the ball. I don't take the time to practice much anymore so that helps.

Anyone try the 64* in this wedge? Thoughts?

Got bored today.
Before
DD7CAF96-D9D2-4F41-8885-F8F69E104C10.jpeg

After
D2E5A2CB-7A53-467E-A446-A1433AE68B2B.jpegEDEABF09-E332-4895-9EC0-78E20867A29C.jpeg881EE82E-C013-4C76-9F58-869795152313.jpeg

Just ordered the 64 FF. I already have the original CBX in 54 and 58, and they’re great. @Jman, your review and enthusiasm pushed me over the edge. Thanks!

Just ordered the 64 FF. I already have the original CBX in 54 and 58, and they’re great. @Jman, your review and enthusiasm pushed me over the edge. Thanks!
Thank you for the kind words! ENJOY THEM! Looking forward to reading what ya think!

Thank you for the kind words! ENJOY THEM! Looking forward to reading what ya think!
Follow up report!

My tendency is to overshoot my chips and pitches, even with a 58°. I haven’t had much luck with other high handicapper friendly wedges like the Smart Sole S or XE1, either. So my expectations were a little low to begin with. The Full-Face 64° arrived Friday and I put it in the bag for Saturday. The results were impressive! My chips typically stop about 12 feet from the hole on average. With the FF, I consistently chipped within 10 feet. I had 5 up and downs within 2 feet, including one from a greenside bunker to 2” and one from the front fringe about 20 yards across the green to an elevated plateau at the back within a foot. (I missed another 2 up and down chances due to missing the first putt, not the chip.)

I love this wedge; if I had had a couple of extra ones with me, I could have sold them on the spot to the other guys in my foursome.

I just got back from taking my 64* out from playing 9. I hit two greenside bunkers, with that really dry AZ public course sand. The kind where the rake lines almost solidify into concrete ridges. Yes, I have been really working on my short game the last month or so, but I hadn't really tried a lot of flop shots or opening the blades wide open. I was 2-2 on sand saves, being about 5 feet from the hole each time, and both times being a little too close to massive lips. I don't know why I had the guts to try it today, but those flop shots couldn't have felt more routine today. Partially I attribute it to the extra chuck being able to cut into clumps of hard sand, but also just having that full face over my normal 60* mim

So I’m wondering if I’m trying to drop a wedge from the bag I drop my 54 and 58 and put in a 56. It sounds like folks have very little issue opening up the face on this one…

So I reworked my wedges to give myself a little flexibility in bag creation and added this club at 56 to the mix. Early returns from a round yesterday were really promising for someone who lives out on the toe. Had a pair of 50-60 yard shots that I got a little loose on and the shots were more than I deserved.

Back