Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

I blamed it on the ultra wide soles which may not have been the reason but the PW and especially DW in the HB Turbos just went *nowhere* for me. High, floaty and 10 yards shorter than they should have for their loft.

I'm guessing the new version's highest lofted irons are improved in that regard because they're a little more conventional.

That said, for the steel shaft version the ultra lightweight shafts with a counterbalance weight is the very last thing I would ever want in the PW, 9, 8 iron end of a set. These seem aimed even moreso than previous generations at the very low clubhead speed 75-year-old golfer. I'll bet they expect the graphite to outsell the steel by a massive ratio.

Great observations, Et Tu Brute. I found on the HB3's, the PW and 9 iron, the ball goes no where as well. It's kind of weird. Look forward to the Cleveland demo day in two weeks to check out these clubs, especially, the high lofted ones.

When I gamed the Altitudes I played through the DW and never noticed any distance loss. They have the same loft essentially as mostly every GI/SGI set I've gamed and always went my intended yardage. 115-120 for the PW and 100-105 DW. But I tend to play full wedge shots off my back foot with hands forward. so I am probably taking a good amount of loft off them.
Also I don't remember the wedge soles to be that wide. I thought when I bought the CBX wedges that the CBX soles were wider than the Tude wedge soles. But never wrote down my measurements.

I hope these will be in stores this weekend. Our main golf retailer is golf galaxy and they don't seem to get the product until a week after the release date.

I hope these will be in stores this weekend. Our main golf retailer is golf galaxy and they don't seem to get the product until a week after the release date.

We have a newer Galaxy as well as older one in the area nearby. Neither carry Cleveland clubs other than wedges.been this way for probably 5 years now.

We have a newer Galaxy as well as older one in the area nearby. Neither carry Cleveland clubs other than wedges.been this way for probably 5 years now.

I guess they can't carry everything, even though more choices would be nice. Atleast, our GG had the Turbos, Trails and Launchpads. That was all new at beginning last year. Typically, it is mostlly Ping, TM and Callaway.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but unless you’re a player as good as Dan, these aren’t going to be the most workable of clubs. They’re designed to be Uber forgiving, and want to go high and straight. As for size, my Rogue X are a big head, but these are bigger. I had no problem adjusting though. Ymmv.
BTW I’m a sweeper also, and yes they’re perfect for us in that regard. What really surprised me most though was how easy it was to pitch and chip with the 8 and PW. It felt like I was cheating, 😆 I must have hit 50 balls and never chunked one. I’m a 12, so you know that’s not something I’m used to seeing!
Good Points and If you are Good golfer you probably are NOT looking at these!

Have hit these at GG today. They are very light coming from the HB3's. Hit the regular 6 iron and it was hot off the face. Surprisingly their demo set was 5-D. Will get up some pics on the weekend.

Have hit these at GG today. They are very light coming from the HB3's. Hit the regular 6 iron and it was hot off the face. Surprisingly their demo set was 5-D. Will get up some pics on the weekend.
Yeah the extremely light shafts and counterbalancing pretty much save me from even having any curiosity about them. That kind of thing is a complete non-starter with my tempo issues.

Good Points and If you are Good golfer you probably are NOT looking at these!
I understand what you’re saying, and you’re right, most probably aren’t, but I’ll counter with this… a lot more “good” golfers should be playing a set like this than do. Ego is a thing.
I’m not a great player, but I’m not horrible either. I play off a 12.6 from the white tees. I don’t consider that being good, but it’s not far from it.
Im 67 years old though, and although I can get close to 150 with my very strongly lofted 7 iron, I need to hit my iron shots higher. These enable me to do that. So for a good Senior player, they’re worth looking at.
I play very few rounds “for fun.” Almost every time it’s either a money game, a league comp, or tournament. There’s always a buy in, never less than $20, most times a lot higher. Side bets are as high as agreed upon. So I’m not looking to impress anyone with my WITB, and no one is looking to impress me. We’re all looking to get inside the other guys pocket, that’s it. Nobody cares who plays blades, Player distance, or GI irons.
We play what gets the ball in the hole the quickest. 😉

I went into a local pga store today to hit these again also, since I knew they’d be “out”.
I was surprised to hear they didn’t have any demos yet? They had one LH set on the wall, and it was 5-DW also, and in Senior flex, no less!
The salesman taped up a 7 and I hit about 25 balls into a net. I’m in love with these things. 😂
When I got home, I called Cleveland to ask about the lead time on them, and was told stock orders placed pre release or today would ship by the middle of next week.

I went into a local pga store today to hit these again also, since I knew they’d be “out”.
I was surprised to hear they didn’t have any demos yet? They had one LH set on the wall, and it was 5-DW also, and in Senior flex, no less!
The salesman taped up a 7 and I hit about 25 balls into a net. I’m in love with these things. 😂
When I got home, I called Cleveland to ask about the lead time on them, and was told stock orders placed pre release or today would ship by the middle of next week.

Do you have the regular shaft, did you demo the sr? I wonder low long it would take for a special order, +1/2 inch. I'm also a sr golfer and look forward to a lighter shaft. If they got rid of the hook bias, it will be an amazing club.

Do you have the regular shaft, did you demo the sr? I wonder low long it would take for a special order, +1/2 inch. I'm also a sr golfer and look forward to a lighter shaft. If they got rid of the hook bias, it will be an amazing club.
I demoed them 3x this week, and placed an order after the 2nd time, lol.
I think we talked the other day, and you asked about hook bias and some other numbers. I didn’t have my spin numbers, but today the average was 5150 with the 7 iron. No hook bias at all for me any of the 3 days I hit them.
I hit the regular flex the first day along with the A flex. I could’ve gone regular, but I’d be right on the edge (86mph SS with the driver), so at age 67 and not getting any faster 🙄 going with the A flex seemed to make sense. That’s what I went with.
FYI after checking the specs on the Cleveland website, the A is 59g, the R is 61, and the S is 62. One other thing I liked was that after the first day when I hit the 4, 7 and PW, I could only hit the 7 the next two. Each day I hit it though, I got an additional yard or two. Obviously that won’t continue, but it leads me to think there’s more I can get from them as I become familiar with the set.

@Carolina Golfer i forgot to answer your custom order question. My set is stock, but I called them today about the lead time. I suggest you do the same? Unlike most OEMs due to pandemic issues lately they were quick to answer my call.

Thanks, SC Lefty. Good info. I am thinking the same thing on shaft flex, I can likely handle the R shaft. But, think a Sr shaft would be better in years to come. Going to a demo day next month will report back.

When I gamed the Altitudes I played through the DW and never noticed any distance loss. They have the same loft essentially as mostly every GI/SGI set I've gamed and always went my intended yardage. 115-120 for the PW and 100-105 DW. But I tend to play full wedge shots off my back foot with hands forward. so I am probably taking a good amount of loft off them.
Also I don't remember the wedge soles to be that wide. I thought when I bought the CBX wedges that the CBX soles were wider than the Tude wedge soles. But never wrote down my measurements.
I’m debating whether or not to get the head covers.
With conventional irons I‘d never consider it. Do you think I need them with this type of set?

With conventional irons I‘d never consider it. Do you think I need them with this type of set?
So here are my thoughts.

I had the Altitude irons. Their cavity had a sort of flat/matte black color finish that really held up. I believe it was some type of a baked on, not painted on finished because it never really flaked off. But over many years of use would sort of wear off but having said that it held up really good. No covers needed really.

With the HB Launchers they used a satin black paint that wore off pretty quickly. Also the paint on the soles wore really easily too. I bought a 5 and 6i and after a round or two the paint began to wear.

With the HB Turbos, the cavity paint was more of a flat finish that held up better than the Launchers but not as good as the Altitudes.

I haven't seen the Halo's yet, so I can't comment on their cavity finish.

I guess if you wanted to play it safe, snag the head cover set Cleveland usually sells for around $40-50 and see what you think

@SC LEFTY
Here's what I was describing in my previous post:
Altitude wear (wish they would go back to this finish) - I bagged the Tudes for about 4-5 seasons and they never got any worse looking than this and held up really well.
1629742997780.png

HB launcher wear :eek:
1629743034942.png

HB Turbo wear
1629743096568.png

Guess it all depends on how much wear you can tolerate looking at. That will be up to the individual.

I don't think they are needed. But, then again. I have my original head covers from the HB3 set and like them.

@SC LEFTY
Here's what I was describing in my previous post:
Altitude wear (wish they would go back to this finish) - I bagged the Tudes for about 4-5 seasons and they never got any worse looking than this and held up really well.
View attachment 9023817

HB launcher wear :eek:
View attachment 9023818

HB Turbo wear
View attachment 9023819

Guess it all depends on how much wear you can tolerate looking at. That will be up to the individual.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, I appreciate it.
I got a great deal on my set, so I decided to spring for the headcovers.
You we’re right, $49.99 if I decide I don’t want them, I can always list them on the bay…

I don't think they are needed. But, then again. I have my original head covers from the HB3 set and like them.
I ordered a set a few minutes ago. I like to take care of my clubs, but I also know the way I am, if they’re a pita, I’ll use them a round or two and say screw this and never use them on the course again.:rolleyes:
Worst case scenarios, I’ll either resell them or put them on when I’m traveling or driving from SC to Long Island.

Just spent about 20 minutes in the last day or two with the 7 iron and continue to think that for the steeper swinger, the rails are going to provide some pretty darn good speed. In everything I threw at this, the speed was consistent across the face and heavy, thin, etc. Impressed.

I think our video shows off a number of different things, which illustrates how far hybrid irons have come.

Just spent about 20 minutes in the last day or two with the 7 iron and continue to think that for the steeper swinger, the rails are going to provide some pretty darn good speed. In everything I threw at this, the speed was consistent across the face and heavy, thin, etc. Impressed.

I think our video shows off a number of different things, which illustrates how far hybrid irons have come.

How might these work for sweepers? I can hit some pretty fat shots as well and have been using the Launcher HB's this year and they seem to have more forgiving turf interaction than traditional irons.

How might these work for sweepers? I can hit some pretty fat shots as well and have been using the Launcher HB's this year and they seem to have more forgiving turf interaction than traditional irons.
I think they can work just fine. I think the rails themselves will have a bit less impact, but the clubs themselves with their wider soles and deep weight along with solid perimeter weighting will be very forgiving.

I was just on the Cleveland Golf website looking at these. I think that if people were honest and open to it, the 4 iron out of this set could make a great driving iron option! Like the Cobra F9 4 iron had a cult following, I think this could be one of those irons...if people would get past the "looks and stigma" of this type of club. Overall, I am very interested in these!

Back