Cleveland ZipCore XL Irons Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Cleveland Golf is unique among the major golf companies in that it has a couple very distinct identities in consumers’ minds. First, and probably most notable in terms of history, is their presence as a high-performance, Tour level wedge company. However, in recent years the company has also built a strong following as an “everyman’s” golf brand, offering a full line of clubs designed to make the game easier. These clubs, thanks to their performance and some clever marketing, have even found appeal with an increasingly young target audience, which is new territory for Cleveland. The 2024’s Launcher XL and Halo XL lines are a great example of this, both offering maximum forgiveness and playability at reasonable prices.

Continue reading...

At the current market it isn’t a bad price for the category. They look pretty nice with the badging and look large but not unsightly at address from those pictures.

The specs are in line with all other manufacturers. They look really nice from the back badging. Price would help these win out if people give them a real chance.

I've been waiting for this after seeing some pics floating around online. What a great looking (and performing) set. I do agree with Hawk that the 110g steel shafts are probably a bit heavier than to be expected in a set of these, but I'm guessing Cleveland did their research and found that's what worked best. Honestly if I was getting new irons I'd most likely move back to graphite anyways if the fit/feel was there.

Excellent price point as well.

I enjoy reading about any of the new releases. Although I’m not in the market for irons, these irons have a lot to offer - tech and performance - at a nice price.

Tremendous write up @Hawk! I’ve been waiting on this release. These are definitely on my short list for irons in 2024. They look great in the pictures. You can see the influence from Srixon and a little from XXIO with the different textures and finishes. Something I find interesting is the set matching SW. The Launcher XL irons stopped at the DW. And, for that price, these are an insane value.

• Staff
Tremendous write up @Hawk! I’ve been waiting on this release. These are definitely on my short list for irons in 2024. They look great in the pictures. You can see the influence from Srixon and a little from XXIO with the different textures and finishes. Something I find interesting is the set matching SW. The Launcher XL irons stopped at the DW. And, for that price, these are an insane value.
Thanks TJ! I know you've had your eyes on these for a while. Definitely took some of the things we love about Srixon irons, but managed to keep Cleveland's identity. I'm a big fan of these and they make a strong case for being my 2024 iron.

Nicely done @Hawk I’m super impressed with the tech they’ve brought over to this line. Not only that, they look pretty damn good too. Easily the best looking set Cleveland has pushed out since they relaunched.

• Staff
Nicely done @Hawk I’m super impressed with the tech they’ve brought over to this line. Not only that, they look pretty damn good too. Easily the best looking set Cleveland has pushed out since they relaunched.
I tried to recall a past GI iron from them that looked this good and couldn't come up with anything.

When my 5h comes in, I'll have 6 Cleveland and 6 Srixon clubs in the bag, so I'm an admitted stan.

But I LOVE what they did with the Zipcore XL irons. A lot of the shared DNA is in a budget/game friendly package. If my young adult kids finally decide to pick up the game or I knew someone jonesing for new clubs but not quite ready to go full tilt, I'd point them this way. You could play some VERY good golf with a set like this.

(taps forearm needing that hit of new CBX wedge info)

A 9 iron set with upgraded MMT shafts is only $1429!
IMG_1420.png

Awesome stuff @Hawk

Always a fan of what Cleveland puts out there, and these look amazing. I love the progressive shapes on the heads leading to the larger side on the short irons and wedges, and the HydraZip on the wedges seems like it would be fantastic.

Really like this set a lot.

I tried to recall a past GI iron from them that looked this good and couldn't come up with anything.
In the GI category? Man it’s been at least a decade. 588 line perhaps.

In the GI category? Man it’s been at least a decade. 588 line perhaps.
I was even thinking the CG Blacks to be honest. The 588s were a little vanilla in comparison.

Loved my CBX irons and foolishly got rid of them last year. Been thinking about getting another set, but these might be the ticket instead. Can't see them replacing my Paradym's, but I still want a set. Good looks and a great price.

Man these look really good to my eye

I really enjoy your articles @Hawk they are always packed with information that is not overwhelming and easy to consume.

This line by Cleveland looks amazing. From the pictures the top line looks thinner and the overall presentation looks nothing like a GI offering. I love all the tech being built into these, and this is a set I will keep my eye on as my youngest gets back into the game because I can see this helping her make the game easier as she learns.

Great write up @Hawk , I'm really liking the look of these irons! Plus the cost is definitely appealing. I've been looking at getting a set of the ZX5's but going to have to give these a swing at a store to see the comparisons.

Have been a big fan of the zipcore wedges and these irons look beautiful.

The black scripted area on the badge kinda reminds me of the original p770. That’s a good think. Excited to hear some in hand reviews about these

I'd agree with @russtopher. I'm not a big fan of black irons any more, but that was a great looking set.
They were. I didn’t love the black they had on it. But man that’s still a decade ago. Seems crazy.

They were. I didn’t love the black they had on it. But man that’s still a decade ago. Seems crazy.
Still firmly in my Dads bag. Those irons were/are phenomenal.

I am going to have to try these out. I really like the look of these and the tech fits what I need.

Awesome job @Hawk!!! This is packed with information, I like how you stated where these fit into the Cleveland/Srixon umbrella, it makes a lot of sense.

Back