Club Shipping Addresses

I can relate.
When I first started club hoing a few years back I wasn’t letting my wife look at the credit card bills. Finally after a year or so she wanted all the statements. Had somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-1200 in club purchases. She demanded that practice stop.

So I took it to a whole other level.
I got an offer from a local bank where if you either deposited a certain amount or had a paycheck direct deposit put into the account the bank would give you $100. I took the offer and opened the account and had $25 a pay put in. Granted a pretty small amount every two weeks but I never told her about it. A few months later she was buying something online and needed my PayPal account. In my list of payment options she saw the account and that ended that. Led to some major trust problems for a couple years.

Going forward, I had built up a stash of clubs and she pretty much said I don’t care if you buy anything else but it better come from the funds you got from selling off the other clubs.

Fortunately I’ve become more informed and research club prices to pretty much pay the lowest price out there. I’ll test it and turn it and at worst break even. In some cases turn a little profit. Last 3 clubs I sold I made $125 total.

As for getting the clubs shipped most come to my house. But if it’s something I can wait on I’ll have it shipped to my office as it takes a day or two longer to get to me. She still gives me grief about it and will say. “Another club ??”

My wife takes care of the finances so she knows as soon as I checkout that something was purchased. Now there has been a time or two I had my coworker purchase something for me and I gave him cash for it so the wife would not know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No need to use a different address since my wife spends double I do on Lularoe products.

Damn Lularoe, they have definitely put a damper on my golf budget. Lol

No need to use a different address since my wife spends double I do on Lularoe products.

Damn Lularoe, they have definitely put a damper on my golf budget. Lol
I feel your pain and I don't even want to know what she spends on hair care and make-up products. I'm sure over the course of a year, it's probably more than any golf purchases I make.

Everything comes to my house. My wife doesn't mind one bit. She even feigns enthusiasm when she can see I'm excited about something (for example, my new Accra FX 2.0 that arrived last week.)

The only time I think I ever fudged it a little bit was when she questioned how much I had paid for a Scotty Cameron Tour "My Girl."
"Less than you'd think." I said. Not letting on that it was about $4500.

Everything comes to my house. My wife doesn't mind one bit. She even feigns enthusiasm when she can see I'm excited about something (for example, my new Accra FX 2.0 that arrived last week.)

The only time I think I ever fudged it a little bit was when she questioned how much I had paid for a Scotty Cameron Tour "My Girl."

hahaha, one or two Scotty's arriving (with pricetag known) makes pretty much any other golf purchase a shrug and a 'go team' eh?

Awesome.

How many guys have multiple shipping addresses for their new sets of clubs so their wife doesn't find out? Last week I RACED home because I found out I used my home shipping address by mistake! Told my boss I had to get home because of a water leak. I hope I'm not the only guy.

Can only imagine the planning that would go on if you had a girlfriend on the side....

Club Shipping Addresses

Can only imagine the planning that would go on if you had a girlfriend on the side....

Don't our wives know that as golfers we don't have any emotional or monetary room for another hobby like that?

I don't hide anything from Dawn, and she doesn't care what I buy since everything comes out of my account, not the house account. I do have some things sent to work if I know they require a signature, but not to hide.

Put me in the camp of being excited about getting new clubs, and she is usually sick of hearing about them after a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

hahaha, one or two Scotty's arriving (with pricetag known) makes pretty much any other golf purchase a shrug and a 'go team' eh?

Awesome.
When I do finally invest in my dream Scotty, I am definitely planning on skipping/avoiding the price discussion. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I never understood the need to hide purchases. Imo if you have to hide what you buy/do then you shouldn’t be doing it.

We all have various levels of financial capabilities and all operate within them. For me personally all our money is in three accounts and we both have access. Before anything major we both check to make sure it’s not going to take away from anything we have going on with the house or any other financial priorities.

Luckily with THP and finding deals I don’t spend nearly as much as I would otherwise.

I can ship clubs anywhere and my wife always finds out because we both play, and frankly she's the better golfer. It's not about the money for her, she just sees it as a waste of money because in her mind it's all about technique...not the clubs.

Her dad was head pro at a country club. She played college golf and went so far as to play in qualifiers for the LPGA. But like others, the commitment and physical stamina required to play at that level was ultimately not for her. She plays from the men's tees. She says the ladies tees are "too boring...driver wedge, driver wedge". Plus, while guy's are pulling out their new big putters, their jaws drop when she pulls out her Scotty Cameron BullsEye putter...like she's from outer space! Also, when she buys a new set which is extremely rare, she makes a point to sell or trade-in her old set. She says she doesn't want the mental distraction of an old set lying around.

We'll be taking lessons from our pro (which she does bi-weekly, I do monthly). She can tell when I'm dropping hints about buying new clubs. So she'll grab my club, hit it well, then hand it to the pro, who of course hits it perfectly....then turns back to me saying "see, your clubs are just fine...focus on your swing, not the clubs". The pro stands there nodding like "yeah, she's right". So with the recent new set of irons, she stood behind me and had me hit, saying "let's see if these new clubs fixed your swing".

I ended up shanking the very first 7 iron shot. She said "well that club doesn't seem to know anymore about golf than your old club!". WE laughed so hard I pulled a rib muscle. LOL!

1) My wife does the budget, and I get an allowance. She's better with numbers, and I'm off the grid too often to be able to handle the money as well as she can.

2) I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars without telling her, even if it was purely my discretionary money. We have a budget, and we both discuss what to do with extra money when it comes in. That's how we got from tens of thousands in debt to nearly debt free, largely on an enlisted man's salary. I don't go and buy golf clubs or guitar stuff without running it past her any more than she would go and buy expensive clothes or workout gear without consulting me.

3) If I'm going to lie to my wife and my boss, I'd like to think I'd find something more satisfying to do it over than consuming golf clubs.

I got around the problem of buying what I want without problems by getting my wife hooked on golf, now when she buys herself something I get to shop too :clapp:

Would I hide a purchase from my wife? No way, I have way more respect for her and our relationship than that.

I feel your pain and I don't even want to know what she spends on hair care and make-up products. I'm sure over the course of a year, it's probably more than any golf purchases I make.

I often think the same thing Andy, and that's the reason any purchase I make is guilt free.

That is too big of a gamble to take for me.

My wife will be less miffed if she finds out a package with golf equipment sitting in front of the house than she would be if she starts seeing random charges in credit/debit cards with regards to golf related equipment.

If you've go to those kinds of lengths to hide golf from your wife, I'm guessing there's a whole lot worse she doesn't know about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While I applaud the goal of being honest in your marriage, I have a hard time believing that everyone here is completely 100% with all things with their spouses. And before anyone says "we are only talking about golf clubs", if you are honest about golf clubs but lie or hide something else, there's no difference.

I have clubs shipped to work... Do I feel guilty, sure. But my wife doesn't get my hobbies. She thinks that I should go out and spend no more than $100 on an entire set, no joke. She has no concept of the cost of golf equipment. I have a great job, she has a great job, we make decent livings. My golf purchases are not going to ruin us financially. Heck I have bought an entire bag of new, even with fairly new, equipment for the cost of an average iron set. I'm an eBay golf buyer, no I don't get fitted. I get it and no need to rag the guy. I love my wife, but some just don't support our hobbies. Am I trying to justify myself, not sure, but the more I think about it, I don't care. I have the money and enjoy golf, I'm buying what I want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, so you lied to two people who have current and potentially ongoing future influence in your life. And with a good chance the lies will get caught at least eventually.

And did you drive recklessly while you were preoccupied to beat your wife in the hurry as you "raced" home? No bets on that one and no pats on the back from here either.

Calm down! A bit of satire I’m sure, don’t take it so serious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Apology offered to you and the site.

I disagree with your point of view in this thread, and was concerned that your actions might backfire on you, but I did over-react. I generally go out of the way to go the other direction (welcoming) to new posters and should not have added that comment particularly. If there were concerns, there are mods for that.

No problem. The written word without inflection, and added context can be off-putting. I thought I posted on here what REALLY happens, and why my wife reacts negatively to new clubs. She played collegiate golf and tried out for the LPGA tour...and is a scratch golfer who plays from the men's tees. She rarely buys a new set of clubs because in her opinion changing clubs just adds to more variables. She takes lessons once a week despite probably not needing them. She's all-about the swing and technique.

She practically burns the new Golf Digest Hot List issue before I see it....lol. I'm married to a purist golfer.

I don't hide it. I just go do it and even tell her I'm going to before hand. She has no issues going on some trips without me. I married a wife, not a baby sitter. The hell I work in tells me with every life saved or dead person I see, that as long as my bills are paid and the important things are taken care of, I can buy whatever I want. I trade cars every 15-18 months as well.

Back