Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

Finally bit the bullet and have a LS in the mail which has me very excited! I was fit into an X weight forward which was pretty darn perfect, but found a deal on an LS that I couldn’t pass up. In the fitting, the LS was a touch low on spin, but I’m planning on playing a spinnier ball this yr, so hoping I can hit the sweet spot with weight back LS.

Will report back when I have it in hand!

I am a full-on fan of my DS Max 12* with the PX HZRDUS Red A flex, but have a Callaway demo appointment at our local course tomorrow. I will be challenging them to beat my Cobra with their AI Smoke driver. Should be interesting!
Following up on my own post:

Before I went to my Callaway driver fitting today at Sedona Golf Resort, I wrote on a piece of paper "AI Smoke Max D 12* head, 12* draw setting, Project X HZRDUS RED RDX 50 A flex" and put it in my pocket. After the fitter was done, I handed him the paper and that was the exact setup he had just recommended for me after all the setups he came up with.

The bonus was that he said that the AI Smoke driver he recommended could not beat my Cobra Darkspeed Max 12* set to 12* draw, with a Project X HZRDUS Red CB 50 A flex shaft. The AI Smoke was close, the DS was a bit straighter (and I thought it sounded and felt better and didn't have the ugly graphics on the sole). I felt good about that and this free fitting might have potentially saved me $600. I love my DS!

Last edited:
I'm getting more and more comfortable with the DS X. Today was a good striking day. First two swings were both 250 carry, 265 total and baby draws straight down the centreline. Tomorrow is the day I finally get to take it to the course.

Got my Darkspeed X in yesterday, but haven't had a chance to hit it. I was surprised how similar it is to the TSR2. Slightly longer front to back, shallower face by a smidge, and a bit more bulge in center of the crown, but overall a very similar footprint.

20240331_171116.jpg
20240331_171158.jpg

I drove the ball pretty well in my round on Friday. I wasn’t hitting the Cobra driver. I was trying to decide whether to sell the other driver or hang onto it for a bit. I followed up the round with a TrackMan session over the weekend and once again, The DarkSpeed LS gave me two or three more mph ball speed and was every bit as accurate. I don’t see anything that is better day in and day out than the DarkSpeed LS with the heavy weight back.

First round of the year in the books with the DS X. When I was hitting it even decently, it was good! And it let me get away with some appalling attempts to hook the balls. It was definitely the wizard, not the wand. Love the sound and feel of it and feel like I can really step on it without loosing control.

Here's the best shot of the round. You need to get to the bend if you want any chance to go for the green or even hit the second shot without it being a blind shot.
That's all carry since the course was so wet. It's 244 yds in your native units.
1712143903993.jpeg

Thorough testing last five days. Think it’s definitely going in the bag!

Attachments

• IMG_4566.mov
    14 MB
Have you played around with any other weight configurations? Like 6-6-6 or anything aside from the 3 stock weights?
I’ve bought one weight for my X and have a 12, 8, and 3. I’ve messed around some. I’m waiting for some knockoff weights to show up on Amazon to tinker more. Cobra direct are like $30 each.

Got my Darkspeed X in yesterday, but haven't had a chance to hit it. I was surprised how similar it is to the TSR2. Slightly longer front to back, shallower face by a smidge, and a bit more bulge in center of the crown, but overall a very similar footprint.

View attachment 9253029
View attachment 9253030
I’m curious to follow. Same shaft I feel the DSX is a bit lower flight and probably lower spinning (never been on a launch monitor).

I’m curious to follow. Same shaft I feel the DSX is a bit lower flight and probably lower spinning (never been on a launch monitor).
I have a Ventus Blue TR 6S in the TSR and a Tensei White 1k 50X currently in the Darkspeed. I'm interested to see if there's a difference in launch or spin. I believe the Tensei is a lower launching shaft than the Ventus on paper. I have a couple other shafts I can play with as well, but I'll have to order some Cobra adapters.

I have a Ventus Blue TR 6S in the TSR and a Tensei White 1k 50X currently in the Darkspeed. I'm interested to see if there's a difference in launch or spin. I believe the Tensei is a lower launching shaft than the Ventus on paper. I have a couple other shafts I can play with as well, but I'll have to order some Cobra adapters.
I have the tensei 1k 60x and the ad di 7x that ive been alternating

The tensei definitely lower flighted by a good amount. I actually found on the course i hit the tensei farther by 10-20 yard but towards the end of the round ill hit a couple squirlly because i get a little tired.

I think the last i want to try it is put a heavier weight w the tensei to see if i can get the shaft to load just a little more but currently happy w the di.

Whats also interesting is club with the tensei at 6x feels heavier than the di at 7x

A low spin driver should NOT be allowed to be as forgiving and playable as the DS LS is with the heavy weight back.

I’m at the point, it’s worth the little speed loss.

A low spin driver should NOT be allowed to be as forgiving and playable as the DS LS is with the heavy weight back.

That is the conclusion I came to, but I don’t have anywhere near your swing speed, either.

Last edited:
That is the conclusion I came too, but I don’t have anywhere near your swing speed, either.
I’m still so freaking leaky right now. It’s frustrating, but man, weight back just makes me worry about missing way less haha

I’m still so freaking leaky right now. It’s frustrating, but man, weight back just makes me worry about missing way less haha
It’s early. The season is in its infancy.

Darkspeed X with some sort of LIN-Q shaft would be so fun to try. I think one of our local courses has demos. :unsure:

On a low strike, which usually spins up...

15.0, 2865, 160 ball, 37 yard peak

Yeah, weight back and the LIN-Q Red 7F5 make me happy.

I am getting more and more comfortable with this club. I also play the weight in the back. Its definitely better in the forgiveness department than the aerojet i think and i loved that club. My one thing right now is if i should switch out my shaft from ad di 7x to tensei 1k white 6x. I hit the tensei further on the best hits but it feels a little less intuitive to time up.

I am getting more and more comfortable with this club. I also play the weight in the back. Its definitely better in the forgiveness department than the aerojet i think and i loved that club. My one thing right now is if i should switch out my shaft from ad di 7x to tensei 1k white 6x. I hit the tensei further on the best hits but it feels a little less intuitive to time up.
The head still stands firm in my testing of being the fastest this year.

Talking to many local fitters, it’s the DS LS and the Smoke TD that are doing the most, by a notable amount.

The #'s these guys getting in the Shaft Up thread from this driver are insane!

Darkspeed X with some sort of LIN-Q shaft would be so fun to try. I think one of our local courses has demos. :unsure:
It is and I can't wait until mine arrives. My fitter only ordered it Monday night and I'm just dying waiting for it already.

Had a pretty good day with this driver yesterday.

Can't wait to get my LinQ Red 7F4 to test out with the DS X.

Back