Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

I've been carrying both the F9 4i and the King Black 4U around this whole season so far and its official the F9 4i has replaced the 4U in the bag for the remainder of season. Nothing against the 4u but the F9 gives me about anther 20 yds of distance and an absolute weapon off the tee. I have been able to work it both directions when I've wanted (for the most part) and even on miss hits I get plenty of yardage with a mostly straight ball flight.

It leaves a little gap in my bag around 200-210 but I'm ok with that for now

When you say it leaves a gap, does that mean you now use the 4 iron as an approach club, in addition to off the tee? If so, what is your yardage with it for approach shots?

The guys at Edwin Watts bent mine a degree flat no problem

Here is where I find to be a challenge, the OL irons get more upright as the get longer so I would need to figure out where to draw the line on each club. the 4i is really upright while the wedges are actually flatter than the standard F9. I guess ideally I need to go through each club and find out which ones start hooking as I move up the set. However they say that this helps with launch so if I flatten it will I have a harder time getting the longer irons to flight correctly?

This makes my brain want to hurt.

When you say it leaves a gap, does that mean you now use the 4 iron as an approach club, in addition to off the tee? If so, what is your yardage with it for approach shots?

I have never hit anywhere except off the tee so I’m not sure. I guess I just assume the gap will be there maybe I shouldn’t I’ll have to give it a try and see next time out.

I actually enjoy the 4u quite a bit as well and it gaps perfectly with my current setup but one of them has to go for my bag to be legal

I have never hit anywhere except off the tee so I’m not sure. I guess I just assume the gap will be there maybe I shouldn’t I’ll have to give it a try and see next time out.

I actually enjoy the 4u quite a bit as well and it gaps perfectly with my current setup but one of them has to go for my bag to be legal

You might be very surprised when you actually begin using it as something other than a tee club. This, too, was my concern. I didn’t think I would be able to give up a hybrid for that 210 - 215 yardage on long approaches, but the F9 4 iron is so easy to elevate it has been no worry. For me, it does not go quite as far from the fairway, because I think my strike covers the ball a bit more and imparts more spin than from a tee, when I actually tee it up a little and hit a shot that clearly has very low spin and rolls out quite a bit.

Yes I know what you mean. I started with f8 OL irons and had an issue with all the different lie angles throughout the set. I even had the wedges, yes they were flat but it helped with that over draw I get on a full swing with them. I would just get them all bent one degree and start from there. The progressive lie angles are weird, I tried the forged tours in one length and they didn't have that issue. Wasn't a big fan of the progressive lie angles

Yes I know what you mean. I started with f8 OL irons and had an issue with all the different lie angles throughout the set. I even had the wedges, yes they were flat but it helped with that over draw I get on a full swing with them. I would just get them all bent one degree and start from there. The progressive lie angles are weird, I tried the forged tours in one length and they didn't have that issue. Wasn't a big fan of the progressive lie angles

I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing issues with the varying lie angles. It certainly makes it harder to have a single swing with the lie angles differing. I feel like I have to swing differently now in order to try not to hook the longer clubs. I took a chance with the experiment since I’m a lefty and never got to demo them. The final nail in the coffin might have been my experience at the range tonight hitting a Ping G700 7i. Once I got loose I was hitting high towering blasts with that club that were easily beating my distance on my OL 6i. My distances have been really suffering with these OL and getting to see how they perform against other clubs makes me realize it’s not just me and my swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did it for me was the five iron. One length five iron was carrying about 160 and rolling out another 25 yard's off the back of the green. Or 160 carry on the fairway with only another ten yards of roll. Variable length five iron was carrying 180 yards and could hold a green. It wasn't any harder to swing because the one length five iron is oddly upright and the head is heavier and the shaft is lighter.

Had some up and downs with these, but committed to them for the rest of the season.

reshafting the 4i with a Catalyst shaft this week (thanks @Big Dill)

Here are my irons stats since I’ve put them in play at the beginning of the year

Smart Distance

b22b0cb5ed99b386faf4f1326f4e2524.jpg

Smart Range

b5a1d9ae7ee8084ba1799f2b3415bad7.jpg

Longest

835df2923952ea6da88030aa8e42c111.jpg

GIR%

43c1db3348f302c1b7ad89fd37386a0a.jpg

Usage

824e77fdc186b1017797c22f092f4dc7.jpg

Had some up and downs with these, but committed to them for the rest of the season.

reshafting the 4i with a Catalyst shaft this week (thanks @Big Dill)

Here are my irons stats since I’ve put them in play at the beginning of the year

Looking forward to the progress. Wait until you get the Catalyst in the 4i. I used mine the last two rounds and after the random 2g weight was removed from the tip, my 4i driving iron is back to hitting bombs. Put one 230 today with a bit of wind assist.

Last edited:
What's the typical turnaround time for sending your clubs in to get new shafts in them from Cobra?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I am still hitting 77.8% of my fairways with the F9 4 iron, according to Arccos Caddie. And who can complain about the distance?

Attachments

• 0032860B-0617-4645-BE13-C489F5EE6F8B.jpeg
    0032860B-0617-4645-BE13-C489F5EE6F8B.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 2
I am still hitting 77.8% of my fairways with the F9 4 iron, according to Arccos Caddie. And who can complain about the distance?
Can I borrow some of that distance?? You are killing it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can I borrow some of that distance?? You are killing it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What he said!!!

I have the Catalyst curing now, hopefully ready to go for the three weekend rounds.

What he said!!!

I have the Catalyst curing now, hopefully ready to go for the three weekend rounds.

What length and tipping did you end up building it to?

What length and tipping did you end up building it to?

I just tipped trimmed the 1.5" (per the PX guide), I think I'll need to take 1/2 or inch off to account for the CC grip. Once it's done curing I'll measure it out

I just tipped trimmed the 1.5" (per the PX guide), I think I'll need to take 1/2 or inch off to account for the CC grip. Once it's done curing I'll measure it out

Interesting. I had mine tipped only about 1/2 an inch.

This is going to be so fun.

Catalyst is in the 4i

My one good shot yesterday

f9292c0a0432515ef1ccd1ee73d0a3b6.jpg

The F9s have been the main reason my handicap dropped this year, without a doubt. If I can get to 150 or in off the tee, I’m hitting a 9 iron or less. And over the entire year, my GIR has been solid 9 and down - huge for confidence.

2019 GIR after 23 rounds:

5d53a183126fbdb4dc49fed5321b9dfc.jpg

The F9s have been the main reason my handicap dropped this year, without a doubt. If I can get to 150 or in off the tee, I’m hitting a 9 iron or less. And over the entire year, my GIR has been solid 9 and down - huge for confidence.

I’m really jealous of those GIR numbers dude, keep
Up the good work and congrats on handicap drop

That is freaking awesome!! I still say a 5 to 7 index is right around the corner.

Yeah those are some numbers I’m extremely jealous of. That’s fantastic man!!

That is freaking awesome!! I still say a 5 to 7 index is right around the corner.

I haven’t shared my driving accuracy numbers for a reason. That’s the rate limiting step

Back