Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons

Don't put ideas into my head!!! I have a net and skytrak I set up in my backyard and have been hitting a ton of balls lately and have been developing some soreness in my wrists from the sheer repetition. I do like the idea of graphite as being a very high handicap, mishits are not all that uncommon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just a thought that may not apply to you, I bought the F9's with the graphite shafts (atmos) thinking I could pick up some swing speed with the lighter shafts and I have had a bit of trouble adjusting. I have no doubt I'll get there but I actually put my F7's back in the bag today to test out again. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have the Bridgestone Championship coming up but if I'm still hitting these well I'll probably game them until after the Championship when I'll have the rest of the season to switch over properly.

All that to say I would try to swing them before I swap out, your mileage may vary but it's worth thinking about.

Good point. I tend to get super quick in my tempo at times and graphite could wreck me if I start that. I may see if I can go to dicks or golf Galaxy to see if they have any Atmos in stock to hit.

Good point. I tend to get super quick in my tempo at times and graphite could wreck me if I start that. I may see if I can go to dicks or golf Galaxy to see if they have any Atmos in stock to hit.

I'd say if it's not too much of a hassle you're better off doing that first. They may work awesome for you and I hope what ever you do does work. That is the problem, I think they are light enough that I'm trying to swing too hard causing an over the top move that is frustrating me. That's me though, you may have a different experience. I will say that when I connect with them they are about a club longer than the F7's are for me. I'll get along with them, I just need to adjust my swing a bit.

If you're not going over the top I'm not sure (read that as not qualified) to tell you a faster tempo will or won't work with the graphite shaft, my cap is too high to give swing advice, just sharing what I've seen. I think once I get used to them they will be awesome, I'm just not there yet.

Yeah as a bit of a cautionary tale for the steel to graphite...I love graphite, I love the fact that I can go to the range like every day and not feel like I have wrist strain. I just picked up the F9s with KBS tour 90s and I can feel a little bit of strain by having the same quantity of shots in practice.

That being said...

My graphite was hiding the real to relax that very slight bit more. I started last year gripping way tight, which caused the injuries, however according to my sc200, my graphite irons were going like 85-87 mph (which was better than my amt) but now my 7 iron with the kbs is 92-94 and the only difference is that I feel like I'm relaxing more.

So if you're hurting a little bit and are worried about being too quick/over the top/or anything, going to graphite will reduce the wear and tear on the joints when you do that, but they don't actually fit the problem. Fixing your swing + a good fitting shaft of any kind is better than just jumping to what is a good atmos shaft.

My ego keeps trying to convince me to play a different iron style, but the results with the F9 irons speak for themselves. I got in a quick 9 during a long lunch today. I have been using either the Cobra FTB/CB/MB Frankenset I assembled or another set of irons off and on. My play is steadily improving as we are finally seeing some good weather and I have recovered from some back issues that plagued me for the first several months of 2019. However, I cannot deny that the F9s are simply easier to use successfully.

I hit 7/9 greens today and one of the greens I missed was simply because I pulled a 6 iron to a 189 yard pin and just BARELY flew the green, when I hit a pure, towering, baby draw. Poor iron selection. The other green I missed was a flare right. user error. I had 6 legitimate birdie putts and did not convert (“legitimate” meaning 10 to 21 foot putts that were either right to left breaking or straight enough that they could be made. No kick ins.). I don’t think I could do any better with any other irons in my hands. This is simply a very simple iron to use.

Holy crap the part about the ego is dead on. I haven’t changed anything about my irons in the gamer bag all year and I have the itch to make a change based solely on ego. I keep saying no

Holy crap the part about the ego is dead on. I haven’t changed anything about my irons in the gamer bag all year and I have the itch to make a change based solely on ego. I keep saying no

I might need to change based on spin

I dunno golf is hard

After a long hiatus from golf (6 yrs) I decided to get back into it. After doing a ton of research and reading all the great comments on the forum here, I purchased a set of F9 OL 5-GW with Recoil 110 shafts. What a great set of Irons! Super easy to hit and the graphite (first time in Irons for me) feels super smooth.
When I fitted for them, I tried the stock Atmos and the SmacWrap shafts. I felt they were much to light. I was coming from older Hogan Apex Plus with Rifle 6.0 Shafts. The Cobra fitting cart I had access to did not have the Recoil shaft available so I tried the Taylormade P790 with the 110 Recoil. Very Nice!!! Both shaft and club head. Honestly , if i did not want OL , I would have went with that combo.
I've had a month with them now and I'm a believer in the OL. Still dialing in the yardages. I've never had a GI club like this, always used more "players" clubs. These Cobra F9's make the game easier!
Thanks for the great info posted on the forum here about the F9's

That’s awesome. So glad to hear you came back to the game and are enjoying the new gear.

After a long hiatus from golf (6 yrs) I decided to get back into it. After doing a ton of research and reading all the great comments on the forum here, I purchased a set of F9 OL 5-GW with Recoil 110 shafts. What a great set of Irons! Super easy to hit and the graphite (first time in Irons for me) feels super smooth.
When I fitted for them, I tried the stock Atmos and the SmacWrap shafts. I felt they were much to light. I was coming from older Hogan Apex Plus with Rifle 6.0 Shafts. The Cobra fitting cart I had access to did not have the Recoil shaft available so I tried the Taylormade P790 with the 110 Recoil. Very Nice!!! Both shaft and club head. Honestly , if i did not want OL , I would have went with that combo.
I've had a month with them now and I'm a believer in the OL. Still dialing in the yardages. I've never had a GI club like this, always used more "players" clubs. These Cobra F9's make the game easier!

Welcome to the forum. That’s so awesome that you have come back to the game and are enjoying your new irons. Keep us posted on your thoughts as you continue to use them.

Welcome to the forum and back to golf! Love that you are so excited, and let us know how you progress!

Well Jury is still out, but the first range session (with the Modus 105) was much better than the last first (with the Recoil 110s) only hit the Gap and 9 iron, didn't compare them side by side with my Srixon 565s, just devoted the 50 min i had in 95 degree heat to the speedbacks.

Shafts feel, well like Nippons, which i love, and they are smooth. This combo feels very soft , but i only got 5-6 shots i would call solid so not sure if i am really gaining any distance. I hope next 3-4 days i can get out early in the morning, and work through the whole set.

Had a great time with the F9 irons today. I didn’t have my “A” game by any means. However, these irons are so forgiving, the truly cover up mistakes. We are starting to see true summer conditions and I am having no issues with turf interaction. The ball stops extremely well on the greens.

The highlight with the F9 irons today was hole number 18 of the course I played. It is a par 5. I sort of missed my drive, but was still in the fairway, about 215 yards to the pin. The green is elevated and surrounded by water. It is a very dicey approach from over 200 yards. It is so cool to be able to pull a 4 iron and feel confident to make the necessary swing. We couldn’t see the ball hit, but I was just off the green and was able to get up and down for a birdie to end the round. This is not a shot I would even attempt with any other 4 iron I have tried to hit in the last 3 years.

Had a great time with the F9 irons today. I didn’t have my “A” game by any means. However, these irons are so forgiving, the truly cover up mistakes. We are starting to see true summer conditions and I am having no issues with turf interaction. The ball stops extremely well on the greens.

The highlight with the F9 irons today was hole number 18 of the course I played. It is a par 5. I sort of missed my drive, but was still in the fairway, about 215 yards to the pin. The green is elevated and surrounded by water. It is a very dicey approach from over 200 yards. It is so cool to be able to pull a 4 iron and feel confident to make the necessary swing. We couldn’t see the ball hit, but I was just off the green and was able to get up and down for a birdie to end the round. This is not a shot I would even attempt with any other 4 iron I have tried to hit in the last 3 years.

Are you seeing the mid irons stopping on the greens? I’m having a hard time with them - short irons are money and the long irons are so much fun. The 6 and 7 are killing me though.

Are you seeing the mid irons stopping on the greens? I’m having a hard time with them - short irons are money and the long irons are so much fun. The 6 and 7 are killing me though.

Yes, they are stopping within 5 to 10 feet at the most and I figure that I am not precise enough anyway to hit within a 10 foot radius, even if the spin causes the ball to stick all the time. I wonder if a higher launch ball would help you.

I will be interested to see if the Cut duel core ball we are reviewing will stop for you with the mid irons. That ball is pretty high spin and it may be why I didn’t see quite as much distance with it today (plus my swing was off). When you review the Cut ball, let us know if it stops better for you with the F9 mid irons.

Ok, today I had some very impressive shots with the One Length F9 irons.

These irons are built to fly high and travel far. I had a par three which called for my nine. Even though I hit a touch fat and off the toe the ball got considerable height and carried to the back of the green.

When my ball hit the green on any full shot the height for the F9 was perfect to bounce and stop. These are the easiest irons to hit with height that I have ever played with. Add to the fact that you have a very forgiving iron head on top.

Cobra has a winner as many have found with the F9 irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still enjoying these irons a lot. I have not had any issues with more spin-based stopping power from GW up through 7 iron. Once I get to the 6i up through 4i, there is a bit less spin, but still more than enough height and angle of descent to make up for it with my swing, anyway.

There have been a few times where I'm hitting the mid and long irons so well that I really go after one and the result is a wild hook or block-right. Obviously, that's on me.

I've played these primarily with ProV1X and TP5 balls. Good results with both - a bit more distance with the V1X and a bit more spin with the TP5.

Has anyone had their F9 irons bent by someone other than Cobra? I demo'd my F9 OL 6 i against the Cleveland CBX s I have been considering going back to variable length clubs. I will probably wait until the CBX replacements come out but in the meantime I'd like to see if I can get my current irons adjusted.

In my comparison, I was doing the CBX in the stock length and lie while my OL are +1/2" and 1* upright from the stock setting. I really struggle with being able to hit the OL straight and I hook almost everything. I had thought all along that this was mainly due to my swing flaws but after hitting the 6i side by side I think the lie angles are playing a big part. I was able to hit the CBX straight and consistent in the stock settings while my OL continues to want to hook.

The CBX is 62* lie angle and since
My OL 6i is 65* since it was ordered 1* upright. (that was my normal fitting specs from prior fittings)

Since I was able to hit the CBX straight and continually hook the OL I think I may need to have them bent back a couple of degrees to flatten them out. Cobra specs show that can do 2* up or flat, would a shop have issues trying to bend them back 2 degrees to 1* flat?

Has anyone had their F9 irons bent by someone other than Cobra? I demo'd my F9 OL 6 i against the Cleveland CBX s I have been considering going back to variable length clubs. I will probably wait until the CBX replacements come out but in the meantime I'd like to see if I can get my current irons adjusted.

In my comparison, I was doing the CBX in the stock length and lie while my OL are +1/2" and 1* upright from the stock setting. I really struggle with being able to hit the OL straight and I hook almost everything. I had thought all along that this was mainly due to my swing flaws but after hitting the 6i side by side I think the lie angles are playing a big part. I was able to hit the CBX straight and consistent in the stock settings while my OL continues to want to hook.

The CBX is 62* lie angle and since
My OL 6i is 65* since it was ordered 1* upright. (that was my normal fitting specs from prior fittings)

Since I was able to hit the CBX straight and continually hook the OL I think I may need to have them bent back a couple of degrees to flatten them out. Cobra specs show that can do 2* up or flat, would a shop have issues trying to bend them back 2 degrees to 1* flat?

I took mine into the local store to get them flattened a bit and the guy was really struggling to bend them at all, but he certainly was no highly qualified club guy.

Still enjoying these irons a lot. I have not had any issues with more spin-based stopping power from GW up through 7 iron. Once I get to the 6i up through 4i, there is a bit less spin, but still more than enough height and angle of descent to make up for it with my swing, anyway.

There have been a few times where I'm hitting the mid and long irons so well that I really go after one and the result is a wild hook or block-right. Obviously, that's on me.

I've played these primarily with ProV1X and TP5 balls. Good results with both - a bit more distance with the V1X and a bit more spin with the TP5.

Nice post. It reflects completely accurately my own experience.

I took mine into the local store to get them flattened a bit and the guy was really struggling to bend them at all, but he certainly was no highly qualified club guy.

OK, I'll ask one of my local shops here if they are willing to do it. It sounds like they might be tough to bend since they are cast. I'm sure their biggest fear will be mine as well that it will break.

The guys at Edwin Watts bent mine a degree flat no problem

I've been carrying both the F9 4i and the King Black 4U around this whole season so far and its official the F9 4i has replaced the 4U in the bag for the remainder of season. Nothing against the 4u but the F9 gives me about anther 20 yds of distance and an absolute weapon off the tee. I have been able to work it both directions when I've wanted (for the most part) and even on miss hits I get plenty of yardage with a mostly straight ball flight.

It leaves a little gap in my bag around 200-210 but I'm ok with that for now

Back