Combo Sets: Where do you split?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Today Ben Hogan golf added the option of combo sets with the PTX Pro, Icon Irons, Hybrids, and Utility irons. Just for example, I'm going to use the PTX Pro/Icon combo here which gives us a split at the 8 iron(PTx Pro 4-7/Icon 8-PW). Srixon combo sets split at the 7 iron. Callaway follows the same pattern as Hogan with the 8 iron being the different style club.

So you are in charge of your combo set, whether you are going from an SGI to GI, GI to PD, PD to Blade, whatever you are dreaming of. Where are you starting the change and why?

My set is broken out at the 4 & 5 iron .... T300's. Since the long irons are the harder irons to hit, so I put the more forgiving irons at the top end of the bag.

• Staff
My set is broken out at the 4 & 5 iron .... T300's. Since the long irons are the harder irons to hit, so I put the more forgiving irons at the top end of the bag.

my first ever combo set I did was a Ping G10/i10 and I did the same thing. I went g10 4&5, and i10 6-PW.

Interesting thread. I’m thinking either the 7 or 8 is a good spot for me.

I actually like the change at the 8 iron. For whatever reason the combo sets I've played have always split at the 7 but the 6 always seems to be my favorite club, if the 7 were the same as the 6 maybe that could change my mind.

I use the 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons 6-PW and Callaway X-20 for the 4 and 5-irons; that works very well for me.

I never have had one, but If I did get one, I would think 8 iron would be the place to switch to the blade, or less forgiving, irons.

I think the 6 iron is where I start to lose a little bit of confidence. I would feel pretty good about 7-P being the less forgiving of the two models.

my gut tells me to go player's iron through the 7, then the more forgiving option starting at 6. but reality is I should probably start the forgiving iron at 7. but the truth is, I should never bother to convo and always go more forgiving lol

Depends on what you are switching between. For example, I have MP18 MMCs in 6-PW and Fli-Hi irons in 3-5.

If you had hybrids and cavity backs, you'd probably split in a similar place.

If you go CB long irons to MB short, then it's split at the 7 or 8 depending on how much of a butter knife the 7 is in MB.

I think it depends on the golfer and their comfort with longer irons. I would probably go at the 7 or 8 iron.

6&7 cavity back forgiving, then 7-PW players iron.

Depends on what you are switching between. For example, I have MP18 MMCs in 6-PW and Fli-Hi irons in 3-5.

If you had hybrids and cavity backs, you'd probably split in a similar place.

If you go CB long irons to MB short, then it's split at the 7 or 8 depending on how much of a butter knife the 7 is in MB.

I had that combo as well. Although I think I had the Fli-Hi in only 3-4.

Current set is split at 6/7 6 iron is Rogue 7 - PW are Rogue Pro with that I would say 26 - 27* mark (so around 155 yards I am comfortable with better player irons)

7/8 split is perfection.

I have a 4h, then move to Z585 for the 5-7, then to Z785 8-GW.

For my Mizuno JPX900, 4-5 Hot Metal; 6-PW Forged. I considered a 6i for Hot Metal, but the fitter talked me out of it.

My favorite combo set ever was the original TaylorMade TP Combos and they split at the 6/7. Loved those irons!

I need all the help I can get, so GI through the set for me. But if I was going to choose a break point, it would be 7/8.

For my Mizuno JPX900, 4-5 Hot Metal; 6-PW Forged. I considered a 6i for Hot Metal, but the fitter talked me out of it.

lol surprisingly I've done this combo too. Only I went with the Hot Metal for the 6 irons.

lol surprisingly I've done this combo too. Only I went with the Hot Metal for the 6 irons.
I have since replaced the 4i with a hybrid. The lone Hot Metal 5i looks out of place in the bag, but it’s a very reliable club.

those hot metals were fast.

At either the 6 iron or 7 iron is the perfect spot to split it.

I went 4,5,6 with Tour Edge ironwoods, then SGI 7-GW, then I have a 52* AW and 56* SW. Love the ironwoods and could have gone all the way with those, but I prefer the irons in the shorter clubs.

Ideally I could hit irons in both sets and make a switch built on data and preference. Without that, I would just go by my experience. I never really feel any issue up through 7i. 6i is pretty strong but a potential split point. 5i and 4i are clubs I don't hit the center of the face as consistently. So I would probably go PW-7 for the more players side of a combo and then 6,5,4 for more forgiveness.

Back