Confused butter on the side

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I really need some help with a couple of things
1. I read a lot of posts about a ball having too much side spin and what ball is the straightest. For me if I slice a ball it's in a farmers field and hitting 3 before it has a chance to land probably hit a cow as well but that's tenderizing mu dinner. I have never found a ball that goes straight when you hit it bad. Polara is the exception. So how do people judge this without a traveling trackman?

2. I played cast irons they felt great when I hit them and now I have some forged irons while different they feel great as well but I don't understand the statement buttery soft am I missing something or can someone dumd it down for ol'Scrap Iron please

Certain ball designs help limit sidespin, like the e6. It won't stop a slice but can help a little. I can still slice the crap out of em when I come ott.

Buttery is just a silly term some use to describe feel, ie a club feels soft like butter.

--
Tapatalk2

Some golf balls are more prone to spin than others. A high spin ball may turn a 5-10 yard cut into a 20 yarder. Obviously if you put a bad swing on it, any ball will slice a lot. Some will more than others though.

The best way I can explain the ball+side spin= you're going to have a bad day. I used to play a tour ball, they are a lot harder then your "standard" ball. if you hit the ball without the club face being straight will cause side spin, thus a slice. a lower compression ball absorbs some of that slicing action by the club face reducing your slice. its not going to instantly fix a slice, but reduce it. hope this helps

1. That's why I have tried so many different balls. When I'm hitting them good, I say, "Yep, that's the ball for me." Then the next week I start putting them in the woods again and since it would be impolite to blame myself, I blame the ball and switch to something else.

2. I relate it to the old saying, "Like a hot knife through butter". If I hit one perfect with my R11's, it's like the ball wasn't even there.

The best way I can explain the ball+side spin= you're going to have a bad day. I used to play a tour ball, they are a lot harder then your "standard" ball. if you hit the ball without the club face being straight will cause side spin, thus a slice. a lower compression ball absorbs some of that slicing action by the club face reducing your slice. its not going to instantly fix a slice, but reduce it. hope this helps

Pretty good explanation there 200s

For me, somebody that plays a fade that can turn into a slice....I am also a high spin player...so a ball that produces alot of spin just over magnifies the side spin and creates a bigger fade or a slice.

If you find a ball that you compress well for your swing speed that tends to reduce the side spin...so that fade that landed in the right rough now finds the fairway.

I understand what side spin is. But if you give me five different balls I won't be able to tell you what has more or less side spin. How does every one know what are you guys seeing from a slice that I'm not? How can someone tell if it's the ball is being spinny or if its a bad swing?

I didn't understand all of the stated differences between balls either. But once I better understood my swing, I could tell when a swing is even just a little off.

So when a ball tracks true on a swing that I know to be less than stellar, that's a good ball for me. Of course there are many variables to a ball to fit one's game overall but off the tee, I'll know pretty quickly.

I understand what side spin is. But if you give me five different balls I won't be able to tell you what has more or less side spin. How does every one know what are you guys seeing from a slice that I'm not? How can someone tell if it's the ball is being spinny or if its a bad swing?

Play each one for a bunch of rounds. With some, my misses are less on average than others. On a given swing, no, I wouldn't be able to tell. But over the course of time, the averages show it.

I can usually tell by how drastic the slice is. If I dont rotate my hands and hit the ball with a open face, it damn near takes off right. If i hit with a slightly open club face the slice is over exaggerated by side spin. with that in mind, if i hit slightly open club face with a high compression ball, the ball usually travels right +/- 15 yards. if i hit slightly open club face with a low compression ball, it usually flies right +/- 5 yards. That's why a low compression ball is good for someone that slices the majority of their shots. When it comes down to it, I can tell just by the ball flight, and also how much it goes right on the decent.

Well, it's both. A slice is what we get from a poor swing. The more sidespin on a bad swing, the worse the results.
For me, it took a few rounds but I can see that the misses are not AS poor with, say, an e6 as they were with a Pro-V or such. Yes, I can still blow them OB, but it happens less often. Other than the Polara, it's an incremental thing, not a sudden cureall.

I haven't put all my rounds in OOB or another tracker, but if you track fairways hit or penalty strokes, try it. And give it 4 or 5 rounds at least to get a meaningful sample size.

If you strike a ball well you don't have to worry about it. It's those farmer shots that get exaggerated by a poorly struck slice shot. A more spinny ball will do just that, spin off the planet. But spin is your friend coming into a green that that you want to hold. I get those bad shots myself and so I went with a ball that gave me the best of both worlds, Srixon XV (comparable to a ProV1X) and those types of balls. Get a little more distance and don't give up a ton of control around the green. It's saved a few questionable tee shots.

If you hit a really bad shot though, there isn't a ball around that is going to save you.

Whoever thought of buttery soft, thank you, it's something that still makes me laugh. SW explained it perfectly. Again, a well struck shot with any club is going to feel that way.

Back