Contest: Engagement - The All Expenses Paid Trip of a Lifetime - The 2018 Grandaddy

Short and sweet...I would engage both physically and electronically. I would engage with my teammates. Getting the chance to meet fellow THPers who love golf and the opportunity to be fitted with the best gear in the business is a dream come true. I would engage with our hosts, the Zoo Crew. While the competition during the Grandaddy is awesome, I think we lose sight of the bigger picture. This is truly a year end celebration for Callaway and THP that encapsulates th the two brands and their hard work. I would engage through THP, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to allow others the chance to get a glimpse of the Hideaway, go through my fitting process, witness and be a part of the Grandaddy celebration, provide my honest feedback and reviews of any equipment and the experience as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Simple yet tough contest... Hard to be original hahaha. Here's my entry (not anything original lol)

To me engagement means doing my part to bring the event and the reviews to potential new eyes. Not just drive by posting (that will happen some while in the event, hard to post while simultaneously picking up your jaw from the floor) but trying to capture moments and emotions and relaying to to those that will see it sooner or later. Talking about the gear and providing deep and thorough feedback is important. I would even post pictures and videos to my social media outlets so TENS of people can see (lol).

Pre-event is all about driving excitement in multiple threads on forum. Appropriate gear threads, event thread, and of course game prepping (everyone wants to play good even though it's the least important aspect of the event).

During event is all about live updating, bringing the event to living rooms, bedrooms, and work desks everywhere.

Post event we relive unforgettable memories and talk about the golf equipment we were graciously given (which we love to do anyway)

Being involved with THP has motivated me to "break out of my shell" on social media, so to speak. I have not been one to promote or post much on the main social sites because I have always been fairly private about my life, but getting back into golf last year and being involved with THP has given me something I am truly excited about and that is sharing the journey of golf and focusing attention on the equipment, courses, friendships, and various adventures. With that said, I will not only continue to be involved with the THP community and provide an honest and unbiased review of equipment, but will also branch out to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to broaden the excitement and help deepen the community. With that said, I also want to thank THP and the sponsors for creating excitement and a community for a bunch of Hackers like me. Good luck all!

Official entry:

It's really hard to say that I'm going to review the heck out of any gear I get, though I can tell you I'll say my piece about what I like and what I don't like about gear that ends up in my bag, and it's hard to dislike gear I get fitted for that I have confidence will compliment my game. I know, I've tried. I don't live online like I sometimes did, so I don't necessarily end up telling everyone on Twitter about every round of golf, or Instagram a bunch of things. I love golf, I try my best to embody what it's all about, but it's one facet of a very busy life for me. I can sit here and say I like this or that club or I like this ball better than that ball. Hopefully people know I put as much effort as I'm able into my game, and that I'm not prone to shining anyone on about how this or that club performs or how good or bad my swing can be to override anything those clubs bring to the table.

So how would I engage with THP before during and after the Grandaddy, aside from, "Play lots of golf and review my gear?" I think it really comes down to building relationships. I plan to play as much golf with THPers as I can. I'm trying to take advantage of living in the host city of Golf's Annual Super Bowl to get together with as many THPers as I'm able and play some golf and talk to people, and host something around Masters week. I try my best to play golf with people I don't know and talk to them about why I love this game and why I love the THP community. That's the engagement I'm aiming for, and I'll aim for it whether I get into the Grandaddy or not. The Grandaddy would just be a really cool cherry on top of the time I've spent, and hope to spend, with the THP community.

Lots of great entries. Can't wait to see who gets the call.

My engagement will be on both the forum and social media. My goal is to bring the forum along for the ride from the moment of selection thru the prep, during the event and after wards with reviews and answering any questions members may have about the experience or the way the equipment is performing for me. Will use social media to bring more eyes to the event and Callaway and to try and draw them into reading and participating in the forum with the hope that they will be intrigued and ready to join and participate and enjoy the forum.

Engagement isn't about post count or fluff posts but to be informative and inclusive. I think my engagement and bringing the forum along for the ride during the DMV vs Carolinas Regional Rivalry in the event announcement thread, live event thread and on social media is the perfect example for how I would approach the engagement for this event

My Entry:

Before I talk about how I'll engage with the community, let's talk about how Callaway has engaged with me recently, so I am more than happy to provide feedback to the community about them and their products.

Callaway brought the fitting van experience last week to my neck of the woods and I wanted to check it out. Not having the option to go solo I went with kid in tow. Sure enough they fell asleep on the way there and were none too pleased when they awoke shortly after arriving on a 90+ degree day to boot.

I get to the event and they have the full setup outside with hitting bays, a little putting setup, some nice chairs and the like. It was pretty empty when I arrived and for whatever reason the trackman was broken and they were attempting to recalibrate. By this time the little one was about done and had no interest in sitting out waiting in the heat. One of the fitters noticing this, walked over and handed the little one a token for the giant gum ball machine they had setup full of Truvis balls. Immediately a smile breaks through, happily walks over to the machine, drops the token in and what pops out, an elusive blue checker Truvis. Then they got to use the mini putting green they had setup. Now I didn't even get a chance to swing a club due to the Trackman being down and they could have easily said come back later, but chose to simply take 5 seconds to make the little ones day. And 4 days later still talking about the awesome ball they got and using it daily on the indoor mat we setup. THAT is customer engagement at its finest, and you can bet the next time I go into a store for balls I'll be walking out with a box of Callaway Truvis.

So how will I engage with the community, simple honest feedback right here on THP. Shortly after joining I was amazed at all the interaction here on the forum and how great it is across the board. After joining albatross I got the opportunity to review the Attas Coool and gave some in depth feedback on my experience and how it compared to my previous gamer both on the course and numbers on the indoor tracker. I am often an over analyzer on little details but I think that is a good fit when it comes to these type of reviews and feedback. I'm your average golfer that can provide more than average feedback to the community. I'm completely brand agnostic, data driven, and open to making changes based on that data. If I get picked and fit for new sticks I'll trust the data and provide detailed data back to the community throughout my experience with a bit of humor as well. Whether the data shows I fit into a set of rogue irons with x-flex or a pink set of solitaires covered in unicorns and glitter, you can be sure I'll engage the community with the best damn unicorn and glittered feedback I can give.

1st would have to permission from the wife to get engaged again.
From there, just as Callaway has changed the landscape of how they take the brand to market, I would have to be open to the fluidity of social media world.
While THP may still be a similar platform as to what it is now, where I would be able to review the entire experience here from door to door. Gear, new friends, the Callaway experience, the whole shooting match. May have to split into several threads.

Social media as it exists right now. I would post on all platforms possible and any new ones that may exist at the time. Promoting both Callaway and THP who without the generosity of either this event would not be possible.

The whole engagement process would be a long term commitment to both organizations and the GD Alumni!

Official Entry:

My favorite part of the Grandaddy (from the outside looking in) has always been the pictures, the post, and the videos that participants are sharing with all of THP. In some small way it makes me feel like I'm part of it all. And I know that all THP events are like that, but the Grandaddy has that extra energy that can be felt through following along in the live update threads. If I were lucky enough to be chosen I'd try to share all of that (pictures, videos, posts) and more. Reviewing equipment is a given, but I'd want to try and share the emotions and the energy that I would feel by being lucky enough to get the call. I'd follow up with a post similar to a Reddit AMA and make sure that all of THP can get any question they have about the Grandaddy answered. And if I didn't know the answer, I'd reach out to Zoo Crew to find out. I'd rack my brain between now and December to find new and creative ways to share my good fortune with everyone. Would I wear a GoPro for a day? Heck yeah. Would I bring a drone and fly it over Finleys head as he tries to swing? Yeah that too. And I'm sure I'd do my best to max out my credit card and load up on Hideaway swag to share with the masses. :D More than anything I would just want to do everything and anything possible to make sure that all of THP could in some small way share in the excitement that I would feel as a participant.

the thing that hooked me on THP was the way it was inclusive and all members, regardless of seniority or post count was welcomed. This is what I try to do when I am here, consider everyone in here for what they are, an important part of what makes THP what it is. It is so fun when new members post and become active, it is everyone's responsibility to make them feel as a part of the family.

I remember sitting at a table with 3 event rookies before the Game Changer event and it was fun seeing the excitement and try to answer all the questions they had about what they should expect.

I have to submit an entry for this. I thought my last two entries were pretty strong but I am drawing a blank for this one. Hail Mary time.

I’ll be so engaged in this trip that Callaway will think I work for them. I’ll ask all the hard questions that nobody will want to ask. I’ll post none stop on twitter and instagram during and after the trip. I’ll also post on THP with so many pictures you’ll think your looking at a picture book.

I’ve been very fortunate in the past on THP to have the opportunity to review multiple products and I’m very thankful that. I have a passion for learning about and comparing different equipment and I really enjoy sharing my experiences with the equipment on the forum. I feel like I’ve done my due diligence on every product I’ve been tasked with reviewing and it’s been something I truly enjoy doing. To have the opportunity to do that with a full bag of Callaway gear from the Grandaddy over an entire season and beyond would be a dream come true I and very much appreciate even having the opportunity to do so.

Below are a handful of examples of the products I’ve done more long term reviews on with a link to the thread and then a screenshot of my post count for each thread (so-illhacker) for a quick overview. My posts are generally more than just a couple sentences and I’ve also answered a lot of questions about the products that I’ve used across multiple threads outside of the ones I’ve posted below. If I don’t know the answer I always seek it out for my own personal knowledge and to help others down the road.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...rome-Soft-and-Chrome-Soft-X-Golf-Balls/page26

05ed55246e99a60c9e6ada04144ce029.png

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...765-Irons-Review/page34?highlight=Srixon+Z765

e7488f377d3996cf5b5a3e501bf24568.png

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/41818-UST-Recoil-Shafts-Review-Thread/page85

9b1b159dc5d7c40f25d3ae1d689ec486.png

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...5-Cleveland-RTX-3-Wedges-Review-Thread/page84

bc1dbf1cade5350696efe880af595867.png

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...80344-UST-Mamiya-Recoil-Wedge-Prototype/page6

58262452ebffb9a29dc525b585c9c2d8.png

You can also check out my Instagram page for more examples of my product engagement with the link below my user profile to the left, if you’re viewing from the web page.

I feel like my engagement in the past has been tried and true. Given the opportunity to put the work in for something like the Grandaddy and the full bag of clubs that come with it, I would no doubt step up my game to another level on the reviews and engagement side of the event and do more than my fair share of the work. If you could call it that...

Thanks THP and Callaway!!!

Tomorrow is the last day.

When thinking about the best ways to engage on the forum here and those playing golf outside this forum, first I should introduce myself a bit. See, I am one of those golfers that was tired of hitting inconsistently and seeing my score continue to rise. Golf was starting to lose its’ enjoyment and making excuses as to why I couldn’t play was becoming more the norm. Back in February of this year, I made the determination I was going to improve not only my golf game but regain the love of Golf I had previously lost. I did the normal searches and decided I needed to get some coaching for my inconsistencies, as well as, find a way to speak to other golfers on equipment, thoughts about playing, and ideas of areas to help improve my golf game. In one of those searches back in March, I came across The Hackers Paradise.

Being a newbie to the site, I thought best to ask questions and offer some reviews of my new equipment I recently had purchased. What I have found, to nobody’s surprise, is a very engaging community of golfers that are very welcoming and willing to offer their help and offer advice. Some of the posters on the site have been here for years and years. Those that have been lucky enough to meet many THPers and others that have been lucky enough to attend some of the great sounding events thrown by THP. Many would be included in both categories. Two threads that I found very helpful have been the “2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls” and the “Callaway Rogue Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero and Draw”. There are many other threads on other companies’ products that I enjoy reading, but these two I have found the most interesting on the product side. The data and personal posts on using the golf balls and equipment have helped me considerably in choosing better products for my game. Plus, I have been able to offer my personal feelings and reviews on these two threads to hopefully help the higher handicappers like myself.

This brings me to “How I plan to engage” our community AND those attending if given the greatest opportunity of being selected to represent THP in the Grandaddy event. As I have said, I was one of those golfers that had seen his scoring increase over time and become more inconsistent. The event of the Grandaddy would offer the opportunity for me to fully give back to not only the THP community, but also to those in my home club, friends, family, and all of my fantasy football community. I am one of those individuals that not only like to enjoy himself but also enjoys when others are having fun. Probably why I have so many people asking me to help schedule their Disney trips and help in fantasy football. With the Grandaddy, I would be that person not only enjoying each and every aspect of the trip myself but hopefully offering great laughs for all others in attendance. I think it’s important to not only engage those of the THP community following at home but also to find time to enjoy the event ourselves and experience the amazing time spent with other THPers.

To me, the fun begins from day one of being selected to join the THP team. I think to fully engage our community, as we have seen from others already selected, is to bring everything from the joy of being selected to my practice sessions, to traveling, to the event, and then finally continue as we discuss the products with reviews and personal feelings all spring and summer long next year. I can’t wait to answer each and every question from our THPers and to those in my outside community about the Callaway products and the event as a whole. I can’t wait to offer the different perspective of a golfer that might not be a low handicap player launching a drive over 275 yards. Attention will be given to the details of the Callaway products, the overall experience, and most importantly the enjoyment of all who attended. Be it the data from using the GC Quad during my sessions with my swing coach, the general rounds of golf using my Arcoss 360 sensors, or just my personal feelings on each and every product, I will be offering the feedback here at the forum, in my local league, with my group coaching sessions, my fantasy football crew, and my fellow golfers that I play personally with.

If we’re talking about engagement, I guess you’d need a proposal first. “THP, you’ve been part of my life for 7 years now and I think it’s time we take it to the next level. So THP will you…….” This is getting weird - Sorry JB.

Engagement up to and at the event The biggest thing here is just sharing the experience with the community. Pictures can provide a lot, words can describe your emotions, video can do both. It’s always fun to see the reaction videos and the raw emotion displayed in those. If selected I’d try to make those happen at least daily during the event.

Reviewing the equipment post event This is where the meat of it is. Providing feedback to the THP community and beyond. I would create short 4-5 minute video reviews of each product. Once the embargo is lifted those would be uploaded and you’d hear my likes and dislikes for the product. Then I’d embarrass myself with a few swings so you could decide if what I’m saying has any merit. Maybe even a YouTube live session could happen from the driving range.

So, let me jump in with no cold feet and make the Grandaddy the ultimate honeymoon.

Engagement

Engagement

en·gage·ment
inˈɡājmənt,enˈɡājmənt/

An arrangement to do something or go somewhere at a fixed time.

When and Where
Early December
Carlsbad, CA and More

We have the time frame and location set but that leaves the "to do something" to talk about. Something... The Grandaddy… How can you use the written word to describe the Grandaddy to someone who does not frequent THP? The trip of a lifetime is a good description but it requires so much more to properly explain. I will break it down for the forum just like I explained it to my dad.

What's Included
Airfare
Hotels

This part is amazing to me and to people I tell about THP and the events. How does this even exist? The prize package of clubs, swag and golf is beyond amazing but you mean to tell me Callaway and THP will pay my airfare and put me up in a swanky hotel? I know that ultimately Callaway will get returns from this investment but the paid travel takes this up a couple levels.

Club Fitting at ECPC

This is near the top of the list of awesomeness. I have always played off the rack clubs and guessed at what shaft I should use. Being fit for a set of clubs will be an eye opener for me and I will immerse myself in the experience. I have never even measured my swing speed. I have worked hard grooving my swing and am now consistent enough to take full advantage of a fitting.

Full bag of clubs

You know how we obsess about what wedges to use. Which putter? Game improvement irons? Which driver is right for me? It is hard enough to choose these items one at a time when we are paying for them. I will let the experts at Callaway tell me what clubs fit me best.

Tour Callaway

This would be a first for me. I have never been to any golf manufacturing facility. I am a mechanic by trade so I will geek out on the machinery used to make these clubs for us. I dabbled in machining as a younger man so that part of the process is interesting to me.

Meet R&D

The bright minds at Callaway will be a joy to meet and get to know. Getting some insight into how these products go from an idea to a finished product will be cool. I am an Odyssey mallet fan so learning about the different models will be of particular interest to me.

Play Golf against the Zoo Crew (Callaway Marketing team)
Play at one of the finest courses you will ever step foot on

Playing golf at a killer course with fun outgoing people is the icing on the cake. At this point the lucky contestants will have the finest clubs available custom fitted for them. Now its time to put them to use against the people who make them possible.

And so much more its ridiculous

That leaves the interaction and comradery between me and my teammates. With all of the free gear and wonderful perks of this trip its hard to imagine there can be even more to this experience. But what I see written time and time again about the Grandaddy and other THP events is that long after the reviews are written and the clubs have been replaced the memories and friendships will be fresh in your mind. I truly believe this is the best part of the Grandaddy.

There are a lot of great entries in this contest. I feel outgunned by some of my hopeful fellow THP'rs. I nearly decided to skip this contest but with only a precious few entries left I had to at least try. How do I fully express my desire to join the Grandaddy fraternity? The written word cannot fully convey my feelings about THP and the Grandaddy. I will let Captain Picard close this out.

hqdefault[1].jpg

1pdzhy[1].jpg

picardwin[1].jpg

Lastly I simply beg you oh kind and wise judges, PLEASE send this lowly commoner to the ultimate golf trip THE GRANDADDY!!

Last day for entries everyone.

For me The Grandaddy is what allowed me to find THP. I remember seeing it on Twitter last year and clicked, followed, and watched videos of the event on twitter and immediately signed up after seeing the teams having such a good time.
The engagement part for such a grand event helps make others feel like they are part of the event being so accessible to everyone not only on the forum but on social media as well. My pre round engagement would include more videos to help express the trials and tribulations of getting ready for an experience unlike any other, what part of my game I am working on and allowing everyone to get to know a bit more of me before the event as words don’t always translate the best for me well because English is hard. :)
Learning from others events posts and having fun with everyone is huge for me. Asking the Callaway team as many questions as possible to gain more knowledge of their R&D, fitting, equipment, and how they have created such a great culture as a company and try to convey that to everyone not only on the forum but on the golf course and throughout my travels while building a friendship with fellow THP’ers and the Callaway team.
As we all know getting caught up in an event is easy to do and posting is a challenge, I want to show more videos, streams of everything possible so that others can see, cheer, and most importantly laugh at the good and the bad shots and moments that will come.
By no means am I a real “technical” poster of data and stats due to an attention span of a goldfish at times but I love to share experiences,moments, knowledge of the things I do know, how my game feels, trends, and lot’s of laughs.

Just a handful or so more hours.

Equipment review and engagement...

I’ve reviewed equipment before on THP, so I think I would follow my standard method, but try to kick it up another notch. For equipment reviews, I’d start by trying to emulate the typical review of one of the THP staffers. James, Dean and Dan have it down to a science. I’d try to get some great pics and mold the initial thoughts around looks, feel, tech, my initial thoughts, etc. Then, of course I’d have to take each piece of equipment out for some practice or rounds to keep the thoughts coming. All of the equipment would stay in the bag long term, and I’d provide feedback as long as I used it. I still give feedback on clubs i got 3 years ago. So, since this is the Grandaddy of em all, I’ve been thinking, how could I kick the reviews up a notch. First, I would be getting the equipment in December, and outside golf for me in Ohio starts in April. That’s over 3 months, so I’d want to provide some feedback on them outside of just 2 days at The Hideaway. My dad and I built a simulator, so I think on the winter months I’d have to go to his SkyTrak on the weekends to get some inside thoughts on the clubs. Perhaps even club wars putting them up against my current set to see the differences. And for the putter, I’d have to setup an indoor course in my basement, or some contest on my birdieball green, and report back my scores, thoughts, etc. This would all just be warmup until April, but would keep me actively talking about and reviewing everything in the cold months of winter. Then when the season starts, I’d keep the feedback coming. Maybe still have outside comparisons between my old set and new set.

Keeping people engaged on THP.... Goes without saying posting everything above in the forum. I’d try to knock it up a notch though, maybe some things I haven’t done before. Perhaps mailing my new driver to someone in a warm climate for a 2 week mini review, if it’s hot where they are and winter where I’m at... Maybe if we got a new ball, I’d also buy a few dozen (when available) and have some free contests on THP, only stipulation being winners give an honest review in the forum. Definitely keep up on my 11 other teammates to push them to stay engaged on the forum after the event is over. For those of them in warm climates, hopefully my cold weather review plans would inspire them to keep their feedback coming as well. As far as any other THPer goes, I’d be an open book for any of their questions, and if happened to go to any event or outing with any of them, my bag would be theirs to demo if they wished. I think it would be fun to follow a THPer for a round with them using my Grandaddy stuff and giving play by play (what clubs they use from what distance m, results, etc) Mike Dean style, pics and commentary included.

Biggest thing I guess for me would be the commitment to do the things above long term (a full season), and hold myself to that commitment.

I'm sure a few folks are still putting the finishing touches on, but I won't be up before the deadline - Best of luck to everyone!

If chosen my plans for engaging the forum is by posting as much as possible during the event not only comments but pictures (of allowable things) at the time and as any are allowed I will continue posting. I have also been using Twitter and Instagram much more to get more efficient with those formats in preparation in case I get a ticket to the Grandaddy.

In regards to reviewing I would plan to give several updates after the initial thoughts review with how the equipment feels and is or isn't helping my game and give specifics as to why or why not, also on wear over time. I like to give equipment a chance by using it for quite some time before making a final judgment so my updates would continue for a period of time longer than many are willing to continue with. And of course with any pictures that are allowable would be included as well throughout the review time.

I was without internet this weekend due to living in the sticks and the one 4g tower going out of service. I should have planned better but best of luck to all and I'll jump in the next one early!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In for review, providing THPers with a glimpse of what it is like to be at the Grandaddy. Living vicariously though our updates and post club reviews. In the past I have been apart of THP events where some reviews were needed. But feel my efforts were not quite up there. Plan to provide a more in depth review. Along with comparison to comparable models and also recent models by Callaway. Been thinking how best to approach this in the most effective manner. As THPers enjoy a mixture of forum and social media why not do a little of both. Detailed information and photos and videos on the forum. Maybe a live video from Instagram and Facebook as I have a fair amount of members on my list. I am very straight forward with my answers telling how it is. Clear and precise information to our members to inform them of my finding in said equipment. Full send of information to our fellow members and guest readers.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back