Contest & Live Update Thread: Win the New UST Mamiya The ATTAS Shaft

It really is a great time. Lots of good folks here, and lots of friendships forged at THP events.

I see that. Been to one Norcal get together and had a blast with a great bunch of dudes. As my kids get older my time becomes a little more free and should give me the opportunity to throw my name in the hat of some awesome events.

What a close finish and it sounds like everyone was a giant winner either way. Sad to see the finale go but excited to see what comes next!

Yes it is! You know how long I’ve wanted that hat.
You and meet both! Glad you snagged one dude.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got back from a trip out of town and got caught up. Excellent updates and great golf played by all!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A morning of golf then family stuff only allows me to catch up now. Looks like a hell of a weekend, and fun had by all. Congrats to tokyo drift, well earned!

The updates and the pictures are awesome!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing the updates and fun with us, guys!

Tokyo Drift!!!!!!!!! (Insert Danny thumbs up gif here) :D

So who’s ready to enter the fun in 2019??!!

You’re crazy if your hand is not sky high right now.

Congrats Tokyo Drift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have to say but i knew it lol congrats to all you guys this was a very fun follow, now when do i get my attas shaft 6 s? hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Easily one of my favorite moments from this weekend's updates. This marks the end of something special and you guys did it justice on the way out. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

Easily one of my favorite moments from this weekend's updates. This marks the end of something special and you guys did it justice on the way out. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

I love that Danny does that in the first place, but most of all, love seeing the smiles, knowing the fun they're having.

Just wanted to express my gratitude again to THP, UST and all the guys who took part in this past weekend. @2BFast, @Big SoIL @JB @Lions81 @DannyLe

It was a blast fellas!

So far behind because I was out of town but I’m making my way through. JB almost with an ace? Great freaking front 9 dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate those things. So loud and annoying. It's almost like they know they're protected and you can't hit them with your car so they just stand in the road like a bunch of schmucks.

This is truth. Played with my wife’s uncle one time in Melbourne and I had no idea what the hell those things were and he told me that they are such a big nuisance because they’re loud and protected. Funny looking things though.

What a great folllow albeit a day or two late haha. Way to play everyone and what a great event. Hope they come back next year.

Just wanted to express my gratitude again to THP, UST and all the guys who took part in this past weekend. @2BFast, @Big SoIL @JB @Lions81 @DannyLe

It was a blast fellas!

It was an absolute blast hanging out with you man, especially Sunday when we got some 90’s hip hop going in the cart and just started to focus on coming in #1stInFun ! You locked that up with the tee box shotgunned beer, very veteran move there, LOL!

Awesome follow! Congrats to everyone really, I think you all came out pretty well!

Wow, what a trip!!!!! I can say I have had a very fortunate year on the forum and was VERY lucky and again fortunate to be chosen for not one but two SHAFT UP events. Here is my recap for the event...

As we seen coming into this event it was going to be special and it BEYOND topped that as that was the going trend during the 2018 year and really every year on THP for that matter.

When the pairings came out I knew it was going to be a good time. The team names were off the chart and on point. We had a lot of fun with those. When Jeremy and I boarded the plain in STL he turned to me and goes “bro, check out the live thread”......it was now Big SoIL! Yeah! It was coming and he did it just at the right time.

We got to Charlotte and met up with Jkray then off to Orlando we went. Landed in Orlando and met up with Lions and then Danny and the famous “Man Van”. Some good interesting conversations take place in that van....only a Shaft Upper can experience lol We piled up all our sh*t in the van and made a bee line to the resort. Once we got there we met up with JB, got our golf bags out of the Man Van, then met with JB and Danny for the swag!!!!

Danny and JB had the clubs laid out and then handed out the new Srixon F85 3 woods with the new THE ATTAS shafts that had our names on them. I was given the 7S shaft of course with Danny’s recommendation from previous events and playing. What a KILLER way to kick this off. More on the club later in the appropriate review thread...

6bf398779125a1c7a07a6f78ac0a6b5f.jpg
25ea540c915bc8b3353580d3ca44cbf6.jpg
33d04a2f01de5de279db299977041a9b.jpg
c9d69e34c7539396803dfa803d34337b.jpg

Then as we were gushing over the clubs Danny and JB started to dish out 2 doz UST logo’d Bridgestone balls to each participant. Damn it boy the excitement was real!!
We had a quick lunch and then Danny handed out SWEET wood engraved UST SHAFT UP ball markers to each. I LOVED this. To me, they were clean and classy.
1bb78db058b5c592095a6be5b644a751.jpg

At that point it was time to pack up the carts and head to the first tee for 9 on the El Campeon course. We decided since we didn’t get any range time everyone got a breakfast ball off the first tee...and most of us needed it! Once we got settled in after the first hole it was good times from then on out. That first tee on El Campeon was no joke. The landing area and margin for error was tight. Unless you can blast it 300+ and accurate it was tough. More on the course review later....

We finished the front 9 and headed to our rooms to “get all our crevices cleaned up” as JB would say to SoIL and I before dinner. We had some cocktails in JBs room and had more great conversations and industry tid bits. After that it was time for dinner and drinks after. SoIL and I hung out in the room drinkin beer shootin the Midwest sh*t till it was time to call it a night

I’m about to board the plane for Arizona so more to come......

Last edited:

See below for more...

Last edited:
Great thoughts 2B.
For thoughts on the club and shaft, please use those threads independently. Thanks guys.

Great recap there 2B. Brought back some fun memories. Yeah, that first tee is intimidating as heck.

Great recap so far 2B!

The next morning, it was up and ready to go and get after it. First was the breakfast buffet and let me tell you....it didn’t suck. The sausage gravy was bomb and the cheesy grits were outstanding. They had an omelet station that looked top notch and most of the group had. If anyone goes to a future THP event at Mission Inn you will not be disappointed. #fatkid

e2ba665d536c70a0cdde7d25080dc868.jpg

Off to the range we went. After hitting 10 or so balls, I headed to the short game area to work on chipping. During the 9 hole practice round the day before, I had a relatively easy short chip up to the green to a short sided pin. Being in Florida, naturally the fairways and greens are Bermuda grass. To some it’s not a big deal, but to me I’m used to playing on bent and / or blue rye grasses. Once you stick the leading edge in Bermuda it’s over. So on that hole, I had a three chip that both times the ball came back to my feat for a double that REALLY pissed me off. That is not like me at all to do that. JB turned to SoIL after the second chunk and thought the club was going airborne. But I kept my cool and moved on. After my tee shot on the next hole I told myself I need a new strategy around the greens if I’m going to score decent over the weekend and I’ll figure it out in the morning.

With my new RTX-4s (thank you courtesy of Cleveland golf!) the leading edge on those sit closer to the ground. I also opted for the “low” bounce option on my 58 which I’m still not sure that’s the right bounce for me but that’s for another discussion. Any way not trying to get into talking specific club talk rather than strategy I told myself when I went to the chipping green the next morning to leave the 54 and 58 RTX-4s in the bag for the rest of the weekend around the greens other than bunkers and use my 48* CBX wedge for those shots. With its slightly thicker leading edge and much bigger sole and bounce I had the hang of it in about 10 balls off that stringy ass Bermuda grass. Plus I was gaming new Recoil shafts for the first time and they also felt phenomenal pitching and chipping. More on those in the respected review thread. For low checking shots I would put the ball back slightly and for higher needed shots I put the ball about by my front big toe and opened the face slightly using the bounce getting through it and it popped right up coming in soft with spin. Boom, got it.

Also, during the 9 hole practice round the day prior...JB gave a little pro tip on how to read the grain on Bermuda greens. He said to look for the “shaggy” part around the cup and whatever side that is, is the way the grain is going. Big time tip that came in handy quite a bit not only putting but chipping also.

Time to roll...off to the first tee par 5 to start first round at the SHAFT up challenge on the El Campeon course. To the participants and previous THP eventers at Mission Inn, all can attest the first tee shot is no joke. It can set up you well or it can start you off two strokes down in a hurry. Water left (with gators) and trees right (with snakes...I seen three) along with two palm trees right in the middle of the fairway about 230-240 it makes you rethink club selection more than once before you hit.

95d3521cf6047cc344878533625d2551.jpg

Once we got to #2 tee par 3 water surrounding tee box we had a friend looking on. That was fun but he was just hanging out. He was good sized from what I could tell.

4a8fb6ad7ed271ee3f23d9c87af7bca8.jpg

After getting through the front which was already familiar it was off to the back. That back was fun, and 16-18 was no joke. 16 is one of two signature holes with a short tee shot coming into an island green surrounded by sand all the away around that was literally as soft as powder. Then it was time for the Devils Delight the other signature hole. Club selection off the tee is key, and your second shot is key too depending on what your first shot gave you. There is a big Spanish Oak tree right in the middle of the fairway guarding the approach to the green. Then, once you get to the green or a shot at the green that green is no joke. It is over water, severally slopes back to front, bunkers and tall rough long, and tight mown Bermuda leading down to the wall down to the water below the front of the green. PRO-TIP....it plays a little longer than one would think. If you hit a wedge to the very front part of the green and have any spin on it your done. My second shot on the hole led me to a very tight packed fairway bunker and a very crappy lie. I layed up right by the tree and had about 100-110 yards into the middle which is where the pin was. I hit my SW thinking I didn’t want to go long and I hit it well and hit the front of the green, spun back and down she went. FML. JB said if he could count how many he has heard that they hit a well struck shot into that green only to get penalized he would be rich. I unfortunately added that list. I dropped, hit again over the water, put it 5-6ft and came out with a 7. #18 was completely over water and if you don’t hit a solid one your wet. Yup, wet on that one too.

Here is the approach on the 17 Devils Delight. This was the pin on Sunday as Saturday was middle.

e2bd56d23a45bc4f2ba0b6bfb07428ba.jpg

Another great lunch at the clubhouse then we headed back out to play Los Colinas. I very much enjoyed the Colinas course. Completely different course than Campeon but it was still a challenge yet still fair. It was much tighter and ball placement was key here but again still fair. #14 hole location was completely un called for. It was right on the side of a hill with the grain running down. Danny and I both hit our approaches close to the pin but we seen they trickled down some. No big deal we thought. We got up there and Danny was just out on our approx 8 footer. He rolled it up just missing it, came right back down. Rolled it back up, back down it came, rolled it up again back down it came. Then he finally holes it. At that point I was like WTF. So I rolled mine, lipped it and back down it came, rolled it again past the hole and almost thought it was going to roll down into the cup but lipped the edge and came back down. Then back up it went, back down it came. 4th is a charm for both. Sitting in our carts we both looked at each other like WTF just happened....we just four putted after putting our approaches very close to the pin. Craziness. Needless to say after day 1 Tokyo Drift had a decent pad on the points for the race for the SHAFT UP challenge.

Back in to “clean the crevices” and off we went for the infamous Seafood Buffet. If you thought my praise for the breakfast buffet was good....guys this buffet is off the wall. EVERYTHING you would want they had. The sushi was fresh and melt in your mouth, oysters Rockefeller were bomb, steamed clams were on point, fried fish, salmon, cab legs, prime rib, ham, it goes on and on. PRO TIP- scan the entire buffet...you can easily fill your plate first round only seeing half. But make sure you go for seconds either way you go. SO GOOD. And it was rightfully so packed. The staff was just bringing stuff out right and left. It was a great experience.

80611d976e4a13fe24e7148ef9a404be.jpg

694aee9bcb6a7692c0676ed27e1901f1.jpg
e0b4e1f6acc923a387c30b3be43d2c37.jpg

Next day, we were all pretty tired from 36 the day before. I think we all struggled in some ways on the final 18 at Campeon because of this. But, it was still interesting and a hole lot of fun. I think Jkray set the tone for the day when he shot gunned a beer early in the round. After that it was just enjoying the rest of the event and competing until the end.

@JB, Iv said it before and I’ll say it again can’t thank you enough for the awesome events and things you do for the forum community. I Know I know ....that’s “what you do” but it’s always something special every time we turn the corner. Always first class from you and GG. Enjoyed the three days playing with you again And you still can’t convince me to like Bermuda.

@USTMamyia....Thanks Danny Le for hosting the SHAFT UP events for the past few years. Not only have they been been epic to be apart of but it’s epic to get to know you and become friends. Also thanks for helping guide us into some really awesome equipment. I LOVE them. I look forward to seeing what you guys have cooked up for next year in the Graphite Challenge. I know the small tid bits you guys did let out really got us excited.

@Big SoIL...what can I say bro. Had a blast to finally get to know you after much banter on the forum. You are one hell of a THP ambassador, respectable, down to earth, midwestern cat I expected. Hopefully we can meet up in STL next year or maybe at another event in 2019!

@Jkray25....talk about one calm cool true dude. He’s all about just having a good time and enjoying what’s in front of him. We got to know each other more the second and third day and I’m so glad we did. Had fun man...Go Skins! I go to North Carolina often so hopefully we can make something work sometime !

@Lions81....another great dude and another THP veteran and ambassador. When the Granddady stories started coming out Friday night I was all ears. Loved that and thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry I didn’t catch you at the airport....I was all mixed up there. Hope to see you soon and I know I’ll be back up to Detroit in the future hopefully in the summer and we’ll have to get together. No questions.

What a great group to share this special event with and end it right. Couldn’t of asked for a better group and added to the THP friendship that keeps growing. If your reading this and your a newbie...you have no idea what your missing if you don’t enter events like these and network with THPers. I’m tellin ya...your missing out on a whole hell of a lot of fun.

c7b56fd90eb3b11a5d76e415ee567372.jpg

d1c9f694182fb8d4c10bf09ba91e511d.jpg

bf97ca56db9530817394f4f507b27c91.jpg

d26fbeeecbb68aafd2d7b61902012abf.jpg

Last edited:
The next morning, it was up and ready to go and get after it. First was the breakfast buffet and let me tell you....it didn’t suck. The sausage gravy was bomb and the cheesy grits were outstanding. They had an omelet station that looked top notch and most of the group had. If anyone goes to a future THP event at Mission Inn you will not be disappointed. #fatkid

Off to the range we went. After hitting 10 or so balls, I headed to the short game area to work on chipping. During the 9 hole practice round the day before, I had a relatively easy short chip up to the green to a short sided pin. Being in Florida, naturally the fairways and greens are Bermuda grass. To some it’s not a big deal, but to me I’m used to playing on bent and / or blue rye grasses. Once you stick the leading edge in Bermuda it’s over. So on that hole, I had a three chip that both times the ball came back to my feat for a double that REALLY pissed me off. That is not like me at all to do that. JB turned to SoIL after the second chunk and thought the club was going airborne. But I kept my cool and moved on. After my tee shot on the next hole I told myself I need a new strategy around the greens if I’m going to score decent over the weekend and I’ll figure it out in the morning.

With my new RTX-4s (thank you courtesy of Cleveland golf!) the leading edge on those sit closer to the ground. I also opted for the “low” bounce option on my 58 which I’m still not sure that’s the right bounce for me but that’s for another discussion. Any way not trying to get into talking specific club talk rather than strategy I told myself when I went to the chipping green the next morning to leave the 54 and 58 RTX-4s in the bag for the rest of the weekend around the greens other than bunkers and use my 48* CBX wedge for those shots. With its slightly thicker leading edge and much bigger sole and bounce I had the hang of it in about 10 balls off that stringy ass Bermuda grass. Plus I was gaming new Recoil shafts for the first time and they also felt phenomenal pitching and chipping. More on those in the respected review thread. For low checking shots I would put the ball back slightly and for higher needed shots I put the ball about by my front big toe and opened the face slightly using the bounce getting through it and it popped right up coming in soft with spin. Boom, got it.

Also, during the 9 hole practice round the day prior...JB gave a little pro tip on how to read the grain on Bermuda greens. He said to look for the “shaggy” part around the cup and whatever side that is, is the way the grain is going. Big time tip that came in handy quite a bit not only putting but chipping also.

Time to roll...off to the first tee par 5 to start first round at the SHAFT up challenge on the El Campeon course. To the participants and previous THP eventers at Mission Inn, all can attest the first tee shot is no joke. It can set up you well or it can start you off two strokes down in a hurry. Water left (with gators) and trees right (with snakes...I seen three) along with two palm trees right in the middle of the fairway about 230-240 it makes you rethink club selection more than once before you hit.

95d3521cf6047cc344878533625d2551.jpg

Once we got to #2 tee par 3 water surrounding tee box we had a friend looking on. That was fun but he was just hanging out. He was good sized from what I could tell.

4a8fb6ad7ed271ee3f23d9c87af7bca8.jpg

After getting through the front which was already familiar it was off to the back. That back was fun, and 16-18 was no joke. 16 is one of two signature holes with a short tee shot coming into an island green surrounded by sand all the away around that was literally as soft as powder. Then it was time for the Devils Delight the other signature hole. Club selection off the tee is key, and your second shot is key too depending on what your first shot gave you. There is a big Spanish Oak tree right in the middle of the fairway guarding the approach to the green. Then, once you get to the green or a shot at the green that green is no joke. It is over water, severally slopes back to front, bunkers and tall rough long, and tight mown Bermuda leading down to the wall down to the water below the front of the green. PRO-TIP....it plays a little longer than one would think. If you hit a wedge to the very front part of the green and have any spin on it your done. My second shot on the hole led me to a very tight packed fairway bunker and a very crappy lie. I layed up right by the tree and had about 100-110 yards into the middle which is where the pin was. I hit my SW thinking I didn’t want to go long and I hit it well and hit the front of the green, spun back and down she went. FML. JB said if he could count how many he has heard that they hit a well struck shot into that green only to get penalized he would be rich. I unfortunately added that list. I dropped, hit again over the water, put it 5-6ft and came out with a 7. #18 was completely over water and if you don’t hit a solid one your wet. Yup, wet on that one too.

Here is the approach on the 17 Devils Delight. This was the pin on Sunday as Saturday was middle.

e2bd56d23a45bc4f2ba0b6bfb07428ba.jpg

Another great lunch at the clubhouse then we headed back out to play Los Colinas. I very much enjoyed the Colinas course. Completely different course than Campeon but it was still a challenge yet still fair. It was much tighter and ball placement was key here but again still fair. #14 hole location was completely un called for. It was right on the side of a hill with the grain running down. Danny and I both hit our approaches close to the pin but we seen they trickled down some. No big deal we thought. We got up there and Danny was just out on our approx 8 footer. He rolled it up just missing it, came right back down. Rolled it back up, back down it came, rolled it up again back down it came. Then he finally holes it. At that point I was like WTF. So I rolled mine, lipped it and back down it came, rolled it again past the hole and almost thought it was going to roll down into the cup but lipped the edge and came back down. Then back up it went, back down it came. 4th is a charm for both. Sitting in our carts we both looked at each other like WTF just happened....we just four putted after putting our approaches very close to the pin. Craziness. Needless to say after day 1 Tokyo Drift had a decent pad on the points for the race for the SHAFT UP challenge.

Back in to “clean the crevices” and off we went for the infamous Seafood Buffet. If you thought my praise for the breakfast buffet was good....guys this buffet is off the wall. EVERYTHING you would want they had. The sushi was fresh and melt in your mouth, oysters Rockefeller were bomb, steamed clams were on point, fried fish, salmon, cab legs, prime rib, ham, it goes on and on. PRO TIP- scan the entire buffet...you can easily fill your plate first round only seeing half. But make sure you go for seconds either way you go. SO GOOD. And it was rightfully so packed. The staff was just bringing stuff out right and left. It was a great experience.

694aee9bcb6a7692c0676ed27e1901f1.jpg
e0b4e1f6acc923a387c30b3be43d2c37.jpg

Next day, we were all pretty tired from 36 the day before. I think we all struggled in some ways on the final 18 at Campeon because of this. But, it was still interesting and a hole lot of fun. I think Jkray set the tone for the day when he shot gunned a beer early in the round. After that it was just enjoying the rest of the event and competing until the end.

@JB, Iv said it before and I’ll say it again can’t thank you enough for the awesome events and things you do for the forum community. I Know I know ....that’s “what you do” but it’s always something special every time we turn the corner. Always first class from you and GG. Enjoyed the three days playing with you again And you still can’t convince me to like Bermuda.

@USTMamyia....Thanks Danny Le for hosting the SHAFT UP events for the past few years. Not only have they been been epic to be apart of but it’s epic to get to know you and become friends. Also thanks for helping guide us into some really awesome equipment. I LOVE them. I look forward to seeing what you guys have cooked up for next year in the Graphite Challenge. I know the small tid bits you guys did let out really got us excited.

@Big SoIL...what can I say bro. Had a blast to finally get to know you after much banter on the forum. You are one hell of a THP ambassador, respectable, down to earth, midwestern cat I expected. Hopefully we can meet up in STL next year or maybe at another event in 2019!

@Jkray25....talk about one calm cool true dude. He’s all about just having a good time and enjoying what’s in front of him. We got to know each other more the second and third day and I’m so glad we did. Had fun man...Go Skins! I go to North Carolina often so hopefully we can make something work sometime !

@Lions81....another great dude and another THP veteran and ambassador. When the Granddady stories started coming out Friday night I was all ears. Loved that and thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry I didn’t catch you at the airport....I was all mixed up there. Hope to see you soon and I know I’ll be back up to Detroit in the future hopefully in the summer and we’ll have to get together. No questions.

What a great group to share this special event with and end it right. Couldn’t of asked for a better group and added to the THP friendship that keeps growing. If your reading this and your a newbie...you have no idea what your missing if you don’t enter events like these and network with THPers. I’m tellin ya...your missing out on a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Killer write up dude

Back