CONTEST Contest: The Grandmama: A Full Bag of Callaway Equipment, a Trip and More!

My entry:

Control, meet distance and speed. That is the way I think of the Mavrik driver. I know my swing, and I know my results. The Mavrik, 10.5, compared to my F9, 8.0 is unexpectedly longer and as expected, has better dispersion. How can a club with higher loft get better distance, even with the same launch and swing speed? Jailbreak baby. The Mavrik may be ugly, but it performs. Back to back, swing to swing, on a monitor. Taking it to the course only confirms the testing. Bombs away, right down the pipe.

My current driver is the 9.5* Taylormade M1 (2017) with the KURO KAGE™ Silver Dual-Core TiNi Series Shaft. This driver with the T-Track System is perfect for me since I am currently going through a swing change. It allows me to optimize the launch and spin as needed. The adjustability allows it to fit any swing. It gives you everything that you need; distance, control and adjustability.

Playing the GBB Epic Sub Zero. I switched to this from an M2 and started hitting the best drives of my life. This driver is low spin designed for higher swing speeds (I'm 110mph) which has let me pick up big distance and is more forgiving to my slice. I am typically wild with the driver but have been much more accurate with this driver and off center hits still pick up decent distance. The feel is a bit clicky for some but I like the feedback as a newer player trying to recognize where I miss.

Let’s do this...

Tired Of the worm burner or that errant shot that has you yelling fore from the tee box? Yes we’ve all been there, however there are less of these since putting the TaylorMade M6 driver into the bag. Paired with the UST Mamiya LINQ Purple shaft, I’m finding myself standing in the short grass on most second shots. Dramatically sexy with both looks & sound, this piece of equipment will leave you smiling after a single look. The ball flies high and long with the roll out of a greyhound. Unlike the tranquil sounds of Kenny G your buddies will know you came to play once they here the ball come off the face. And for those off center strikes the Twist Face will reduce loss of ball speed & spin. If you don’t leave the tee box feeling confident I’ll buy you your driver of choice.

Last edited:
I "game" (and I use that term loosely) a Callaway Rogue driver 12.5* with a ProjectX Evenflow (Green) shaft 5.5G Reg. It is a love/hate relationship to say the least. There are times that I hit it straight and I love it. I am not a long ball hitter, but hit that sucker 275 once, just once (probably 100 yard longer than my normal). Its for that reason I think I keep going back to the club. I crave distance; I yearn for distance. But as soon as I gain any confidence, boom, the club puts me in my place, and produces one of the prettiest left-handed banana slices on the ball that you ever did see. Bottom line, I need help!!!

I currently play the Mavrik. The “fastest” version. Marketing team and engineering team got that right because I have hit some of the longest drives of my lift. This thing has a little deeper face and I can tell because my fades are going FOREVER. For somebody who fights a fade/slice, I am finding more fairways and if I do miss, I am not taking penalty strokes. I did have to dial down the loft 1°, I am still getting plenty of height and still all of the forgiveness. This driver is probably longer and straighter than your driver.

Thanks for the fantastic chance !
Official entry....

"My current driver is the Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*. After constantly missing the dime sized sweet spot of the SLDR, I searched for a new weapon. I hit a friends Epic and instantly fell in love. The sweet spot was so large, I felt I couldn’t miss it if I tried. The Jailbreak technology makes the face one of the fastest I’ve ever hit. The Triaxial Carbon crown results in lighter head weight and faster head speeds which leads to longer drives. Add the 17g of sliding sole weight and accuracy is easily fine-tuned. Get it, hit it, enjoy!"

My Epic Flash has been a fabulous gamer for me. The ball speeds from all over the face have left every other driver collecting dust, since none have been able to outperform it yet. One of my favorite aspects is how the backspin seems to stay right within a solid window regardless of where I make contact. It's been a point & shoot fairway finding machine for me over the last 1.5 years.
I've managed to influence many players at my club to buy one just by pounding it by them without mercy, and their tee games have improved since.

Last edited:
My Entry:

Right now i am rocking a TaylorMade M6 9.0 driver with a Fujikara ATMOS Orange Graphite stiff shaft. I have only had it for a few weeks and have only use it for 2 rounds plus 1 session on the range. I think i got it down now and was hitting it pretty solid the other day. I am keeping the ball in the fairway and hitting it dam far. I am a mid to high teen golfer and this seems to be the driver for guys like me. I would highly recommend giving this driver a shot.

Official entry

I'm "that" golfer that usually games drivers that are 1 or 2 generations behind. I have never found a driver that played lights out, they have all played the same distance for me, and accuracy was based on user. (me) I decided to pick up a Cobra F9 speedback, and its the first driver that gave me the :D face. For the first time ever I looked at bunkers 220 out to clear and actually had the confidence to do it. Mishits are less painful. Honestly I feel like this is a match combo of a great head, an amazing shaft (tensie blue) and playing the proper ball. (TM TP5)

Really good entries this far! I can’t wait to see member #2 of the Grandmama

For the Grandmamma:

I have used the same driver for the past 6 season. In that time I've tried a Titleist 917D, a Wilson D300 and a Tour Edge Exotics Xj1. None could knock out my Alpha C830.2. Here's why. The Alpha is a fairway finder for me, that's important. It is 10.5 loft, matched with a Kuro Kage 60 gram "R" flex at 44.5 with a d-3 swingweight. The pear shaped, deep faced (59 mm) head contributes to its accuracy. This head shaft combo gives me a mid-high launch with good roll out.

Official Entry:

Driver is the Taylormade SIM paired with a PX Evenflow Riptide CB. Before settling on this driver, I put it, the Speedzone and the Mavrik through the ringer on a simulator. Coming down to the Mavrik and the SIM, I couldn’t beat the feel, distance and dispersion of the SIM and that’s why it’s in my bag. Speaking on tech, the Inertia Generator truly helped me gain noticeable CHS. Speed Injected Twist Face does its job keeping me on line without much distance loss on mishits. The SIM is a rocket with one of the most beautiful crowns I’ve seen!

Best of luck everyone!

My Official Entry:

With all of the advances in driver technology, how can one driver stand out amongst the field of worthy competitors in 2020? Every new driver offers speed and forgiveness, so what sets a driver apart from the rest of the pack? I play the Callaway MAVRIK because it offers me the true advantage of the tee box, CONFIDENCE! Every hole starts on a tee box, and there is no substitute for being the most confident player on the tee! First Class Looks, Feel and Sound of my Callaway MAVRIK are what inspires my CONFIDENCE, and CONFIDENCE = VICTORY!

Ben Hogan GS53 10.5 degrees:

Looks and feel/sound: Beautiful pear shaped head with a glossy black finish and simple alignment aid. IRegarding sound, if you like dull thud of many heads with carbon fiber incorporated, look elsewhere. If you want to hear a solid crack at impact, read on.

Playability: While likely not as forgiving as other OEM Max drivers, this head is not lacking in forgiveness on off-center hits. Dispersion is amongst the best I have played and distance loss on heal and toe strikes is not overly penal.

Dstance: Yes, it generates plenty!

Thanks to THP & Callaway for this opportunity!

Official entry.
The big dog in my bag is a few years older, it's the Cobra F-max offset at 10.5 with reg flex stock shaft. Is she pretty, nope. Do other guys drool & want hit her, nope. Does she cure my slice, no but she has helped me tame it a lot. Does she send balls farther then the old dog I retired, as the Kool-aid man said "oh yeah!" Will I replace her, eventually, but for a hacker & slicer like me that's on a budget the Cobra F-max offset has a place in the bag for now....

Callaway Mavrik Max, Aldila Synergy 5.0 43.5”:

Mavrik Max.jpg

The Look of this head with the Bronze Pearl finish and Black Matte Carbon the build exudes a premium appearance.

The Sound produced from the Mavrik is so pleasant. It's just a smooth Thwack.

However, Performance is where the Max distinguishes itself from other drivers. After adjusting the weights, I am reaching areas with which I have not in the past.

Arccos Max Driver.JPG

With the Mavrik Max, I have been able to go more toward the bend to shorten the hole giving me a chance to use a short iron to the green.

Pure Exhilaration!

Some fun reviews in here so far. This will stay open for a bit longer, so get those entries in.

I’m currently playing a Ping G400 Max. It’s not the latest release, but a bunch of us play it at my club and here’s why. It’s long, forgiving, sounds great, and has a super trade-in value. The head is all metal so there’s no worries of any crown failure. The Max is just simple and elegant construction.

I love the turbulators on the head, to me it’s easy to frame the face down the fairway. Let’s face it, hitting a rocket down the fairway is one of the greatest feelings in golf, and the Ping G400 Max delivers.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with my driver. I would LOVE to hit it straight but would HATE when it wanted to go left and right! Currently I am using a Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 10.5 degree driver with a Fujikura Ventus shaft. The more I hit it the more confident I am on the tee and thats what you want with your Driver. You want the confidence to know that the Diamond Face on the Exotics Driver will propel the ball down the fairway with length and forgiveness. So remember Exotics = download (1).jpg not

There's gotta be a few more entries waiting out there! Now's your chance.

Good luck to everyone. Hope everyone is continuing to stay safe during the pandemic.

Official entry:

If you are like me you probably wonder, “will upgrading to newer equipment actually improve my game?”. Maybe you think that newer equipment is reserved for the low handicappers.

I purchased the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero this year and I couldn’t have been more wrong. I could talk about the flash face technology, the aerodynamic head made for higher swing speed, or the sleek look.

My main takeaway is this club provides a consistent ball flight for every swing and distance that will make you feel like you’re on tour. So yes. It is worth it to upgrade.

Last edited:
I’m about a 10.5 handicap who hits towards the toe. For some this generates snap hooks, but for me they generally generate blocks way right. My driver provides forgiveness towards the toe in a way that has straightened out that block and is now keeping the ball in play which equals better opportunities to score!

Better opportunities to score equates to lower scores. Which then equates to more birdies and birdies are a lot of fun! You should definitely try my driver!

Last edited:
Epic Flash for me.

The look of the bottom of the club doesn’t matter. The green and yellow is hideous. Don’t buy a driver based on color scheme.

The drive - At all costs, a drive must give you a chance to get to the green in regulation. That’s it. Distance-sure. Dispersion-tight please.

The Epic Flash is plenty forgiving, and plenty long. Adjustability and shaft choices allow players of all types to construct the perfect combination to suit their needs.

There is a sh!t-ton of tech in this club. It works. It’s worth the $. Get fit. Peace.

Back