Converting belly putter to standard length.

SeeMore Golf

Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
If I were to buy a belly putter such as the Scotty Big Sur S and convert it to standard length (47" -> 35") how much would this affect swing weight. If I took out or put in the lightest possible weight plugs would it feel like a normal 350g mallet putter? Would I have to do a lot of backweighting?

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
That seems like an awful long belly putter. Sounds more like a long/broomstick putter. And I think the shaft angle in a long putter is more upright than a belly or standard length putter.

Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
I belive 47" is the shortest the big sur s comes in, so yea it is a broomstick. Probably best to just black out a Kombi.

giorgiokaan

Reaction score
Handicap
If I were to buy a belly putter such as the Scotty Big Sur S and convert it to standard length (47" -> 35") how much would this affect swing weight. If I took out or put in the lightest possible weight plugs would it feel like a normal 350g mallet putter? Would I have to do a lot of backweighting?
That, my friend, sounds pretty impossible good luck with that though.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I belive 47" is the shortest the big sur s comes in, so yea it is a broomstick. Probably best to just black out a Kombi.
I think Cookie had a belly for the Morgan Cup this year that was brought down to a standard size putter. I would think most of the weight is in the grip so you would have to take that into account.

blugold

Autobots, roll out!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 or so.
WessCook has a Metal-X #7 belly head on a standard putter. Reach out to him.

Custom Method

Reaction score
Handicap
Will do if I decide to go through with this! Thanks

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I think Cookie had a belly for the Morgan Cup this year that was brought down to a standard size putter. I would think most of the weight is in the grip so you would have to take that into account.
WessCook has a Metal-X #7 belly head on a standard putter. Reach out to him.
Don't forget that these two are belly heads made into standard length putters. The OP likely has a long putter head, which has a more upright lie angle.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Don't forget that these two are belly heads made into standard length putters. The OP likely has a long putter head, which has a more upright lie angle.
Don't see any reason why the lie couldn't be adjusted. I'm sure they fit different players with different lies.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in