Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those big wire dog kennels with a hamster bottle full of water for them to drink is a godsend.

I joke of course. That's never crossed my mind 😳.

You are a brilliant brilliant man.
Dont let @SquirrelyDave or the artist formerly known as @Big SoIL tell you otherwise.

Going to Costco looks like Soviet Era bread/TP lines.
c8ffbc915524b7645dd77d38487f056c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just got back from there. They have weird corrals setup to get in... But no line at the moment. They wouldn't say what it's for exactly, but I'm guessing it's something too do with the new senior hours... And also having the carts wiped down with Clorox and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SC Governor closed schools all the way through April. May as well close them for the remainder of the year.

SC Governor closed schools all the way through April. May as well close them for the remainder of the year.
Its coming.

Okay all... I've been writing legal letters to the various counties in Texas on lockdown, which state based on yada yada yada, this employee works for us and we are conducting essential business ... and this is what we do yada, yada, and how it conforms to an exemption from lockdown... yada, yada. Yes, it is a pain.
Who are the letters to and why do they need them? Do businesses have to justify to the government why they're open or something? I live and work in one of those Texas counties and nobody ever said anything to me about needing a letter so I'm guessing these aren't for employees?

Some stats on mortality rates from Worldmeter. Having a preexisting condition which 60% of adults in the U.S. do, greatly increases your chances at having a serious or critical reaction to the virus. For those under age 40 mortality rates are closer to season flu rates.

1A4F275F-432F-4A91-91F3-225F055AB8E9.jpeg388F82E2-B42B-4C1A-BFE1-443D2F14F1C9.jpeg

My wife is a hoarder. Our cart at Costco last night.
IMG_20200323_200938_01.jpg
Goes along with the Saturday purchases:
3 Bougainvillea, 2 flowering cherry trees, dwarf Fuji, 4 Rhododendrons, 2 Camellias and assorted ground cover. Plus various veggies for the garden.

She's working from home plus adding to the honey do list nonstop. :banghead:

ETA: Posted in an effort to add some humor to an otherwise bad situation.

Last edited:
Massachusetts number of confirmed cases up to 1159, total number of people tested up to 13749. So 382 new cases diagnosed in the past 24 hours with almost 5000 new test results back in that time period.

Overall rate of infection is still 8-9% and that’s with fairly strict testing criteria.

Sheltered in?

It can get quite complicated. Texas says no. Dallas County says yes. Collin and Denton county say yes but....... If you live in Dallas County but work in Collin County, you abide by Dallas County guidance. If you live in Collin or Denton County, you can go to work in Collin or Denton Counties but must maintain 6 ft social distancing and not have meetings with more than 10 people. If you live in Collin County but work in Dallas, stay home. Of course, essential business in Dallas override all stay at home directives. Did you get all that?

Last edited:
Who are the letters to and why do they need them? Do businesses have to justify to the government why they're open or something? I live and work in one of those Texas counties and nobody ever said anything to me about needing a letter so I'm guessing these aren't for employees?
They are stopping and fining people who are working outside of home in non-essential businesses where the County/City is in Stay Safe at Home Mode. Letters are for employees to carry and show police that their work complies with the County and/or City Orders -Dallas, Denton, Bexar County. Collin County says every business is essential so no letter needed.

going to guess you meant Collin and Denton counties say no shelter in place currently, similar to the state?

lol. It's a little less complicated here. The entire state is shelter in place unless you're an essential worker.

going to guess you meant Collin and Denton counties say no shelter in place currently, similar to the state?
No, actually, Collin and Denton Counties say shelter in place but, if you do go to work, then you must maintain social distancing and meeting sizes.

I live in a golf resort community. The golf course is still open but the food is takeout only.

Massachusetts number of confirmed cases up to 1159, total number of people tested up to 13749. So 382 new cases diagnosed in the past 24 hours with almost 5000 new test results back in that time period.

Overall rate of infection is still 8-9% and that’s with fairly strict testing criteria.
@arydolphin Any educated guesses as to why NYC is at @25%? NYC obviously has the urban density but it isn’t like Boston is rural.

They are stopping and fining people who are working outside of home in non-essential businesses where the County/City is in Stay Safe at Home Mode. Letters are for employees to carry and show police that their work complies with the County and/or City Orders -Dallas, Denton, Bexar County. Collin County says every business is essential so no letter needed.

Are they setting up road blocks or what? I need to go to Dallas to get an injection.

"Safer at Home" now starts at 8am tomorrow.

According to the governor: ""You will still be able to walk the dogs, but please do not take any unnecessary travel. Limit your travel needs to essential travel like going to the doctor's office, grabbing groceries and getting medication."

I live in a golf resort community. The golf course is still open but the food is takeout only.

As do I. Until there is a confirmed case they plan to stay open. My brother is a high risk person. So as much as it pains me. I'm staying inside. Luckily we shopped for food before this all started.

I have been noticing more couples are golfing by themselves. We overlook the 6th green and I would say it's about 80% full compared to what it is normally. Single carts per person except married couples.

Both grocery stores are doing curbside pickups

@arydolphin Any educated guesses as to why NYC is at @25%? NYC obviously has the urban density but it isn’t like Boston is rural.

This is STRICTLY a guess on my part, but they may be even more stringent on who they are testing because just doing a test involves the testers having to wear PPE and that stuff is more important to be used in hospitals right now. So if tests are really limited to very ill people or high risk groups, there won’t be as many negative tests.

All of that said, the ERs in NYC are seeing many cases where the symptoms all fit the progression of disease and the actual test result wouldn’t matter much in the acute phase of treatment.

Pitkin County here in CO just shut down ALL construction sites until April 17th, even the the Governor said construction is an "essential" business. :banghead: This is a county of 1 of my salesman & we had rentals scheduled for that area.

I don't think they got the memo. I was out running errands in one of those counties earlier today and the local full service car wash was absolutely packed, people are out and about like it was Sunday afternoon. Saw a lot of yard service trucks out making their rounds too. Had to go to a couple different grocery stores to get what we needed and people are still buying up all the bottled water and TP for reasons I still don't understand. Maybe they think corona virus works like a hurricane or something. Saw people out on the golf course as I drove by too. Made me wish I was one of them.

A number of companies are on a hiring blitz right now.

DOW. up 11% - best day since 1933.

I agree with closing schools and what not. I don't agree with shutting off the economy in The US and Canada. Put all the precautions and mitigations in place and keep the economy afloat.

Here is today's national refresh from the COVID tracking site. The site cuts off data for each day at 4 pm ET. I also included state testing data for NY (most cases), NJ (highest density), and Mass (as a check against arydolphin's report to see how good THESE data are. They seem to be pretty good.)

Testing is continuing at a rate of 450-500k/week

% positives are running around 14% nationally, and hospitalizations are running around 9% of positive

Probably significant - to a degree - that the most densely populated state and the high density of NYC are in the states seeing very high % positives.

COVID TRACKING 200324.png

MN governor stated that a shelter-in-place order isn't off the table. Also said something about it not lasting weeks, but months. I understand the need for precaution. But, I don't see my employer being able to afford to pay us for months with no money coming in, let alone keep the business afloat at all. An older small business owner who could very well decide to just cut his losses after that point. Also, my wife just started a new job about a month ago. Hardly any PTO accrued, no short term disability.

I would much rather see it handled on a county by county basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back