Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entire state of PA is now shelter in place. A woman in the neighboring county was cited for violating this order after being pulled over for an unrelated traffic violation.

Unfortunately my wife is still in hospital rotations for the next few weeks. Hoping to come out on the other side without any excitement.

Here in Charleston everything, even rivers are tidal. For instance I’m approx. 20 miles as the crow flies from where the Ashley River empties into the harbor off the tip of Charleston and the river fluctuates between 5 and 12 feet daily here.

Because of this in the evenings there’s tons of sandbars and coves. So you pull your boat up, anchor it and hangout with your buddies. The tidal basin is almost like a playground out here

Ok, I'll say it. What sense does it make to shut down boat launches?
It may not make much sense in some inland areas where most boating is done on small lakes and reservoirs, but here in the PacNW where most boating is done on Puget Sound and adjacent waters or on the Pacific Ocean (where it can get nasty in a hurry) it makes total sense. And it makes sense elsewhere too, as I'll explain below.

A bit of background. Boating here is a year-round activity. An average day here (even in early spring) sees commercial marine emergency assistance firms and/or the Coast Guard responding to several "emergency assistance requests". If the weather is bad, responding to such assistance calls puts the responders at risk. The risks are further elevated when potential close personal contact may be involved during circumstances such as the coronavirus contagion. That is why you don't want people out on the water unnecessarily.

FWIW, I love boating - even more than golf. I've been handling my own boats for 67 years, fished commercially in Alaska, cruised and raced sailboats all over North America, the Caribbean, South Pacific, Japan, and New Zealand. Last summer we spent three months cruising from the San Juan Islands to Petersburg in Southeast Alaska and back. But I am totally willing to leave the boat tied to the dock if it reduces the potential demands on our emergency responders in the present circumstances. They have enough problems right now without having to deal with recreational boaters.

Apparently they're expecting a decision early next week. Hoping for the bare minimum at least. I'm not confident that they'll allow golf. But I hope they'll at least not completely let the courses go.
Originally Cuomo was going to shut down the courses and not even allow maintenance then apparently the PGA and Golf lobby got the State to not only allow maintenance but courses are open with strict social distance rules in effect. Im not knowledgable about course maintenance but talking to our head greenskeeper he said no maintenace this time of year in the Northeast would destroy the course. I understand regulations but think it is over reaching by the government to forbid someone from maintaining their property resulting in extensive damage. Crews work alone, a single worker on a mower cuts. The only person who would forbid that is someone who gets their check as a politician no matter how long they shut down businesses and either dont understand or dont care about people that actually work for a living, own businesses and employ others who depend on their job to take care of their family. These politicians probably have no concept of running a business and trying to survive. As far as playing at my course social distancing is being carefully followed and im glad we are able to play. The course can keep employed at least a portion of their staff and collect dues from the members to at least try to get through this without having to lay off everyone and watch their business be destroyed. There is enough suffering and harm to businesses and their employees without destroying businesses and putting people out of work when there is no legitimate reason.

Last edited:
Cloth masks is a wide term. People will be wearing bandanas and skull face masks its going to get weird.
You rang?

Pelon.jpg

Here in Charleston everything, even rivers are tidal. For instance I’m approx. 20 miles as the crow flies from where the Ashley River empties into the harbor off the tip of Charleston and the river fluctuates between 5 and 12 feet daily here.

Because of this in the evenings there’s tons of sandbars and coves. So you pull your boat up, anchor it and hangout with your buddies. The tidal basin is almost like a playground out here
Gotcha...

Still?

What's wrong with a family going out on their boat together?

And when something goes wrong, and a skeleton crew only in place, who is going to help them?

People need to stop thinking about this from “me and my” and start thinking about it from the surrounding assistance and others

Not talking from same household. I said Social distancing and partying on boat issues. I assumed the rule was to prevent abuse that may have been or is perceived to be an issue.

Also what JB thoughtfully imput just as I was posting my reply.

And when something goes wrong, and a skeleton crew only in place, who is going to help them?

People need to stop thinking about this from “me and my” and start thinking about it from the surrounding assistance and others
That's a decision they need to make before going out. Not hard to put out there is no emergency response available.

Nothing at all. But how do you tell the pack of twenty something year olds that they can’t booze cruise the day away, but a family can boat to their hearts content?

My dad lives on the Colorado River near Lake Havasu. All the launch ramps on the CA side are closed and the AZ side is open. It’s creating an influx of dumb Californians pulling their boat across the bridge and likely bringing their SoCal sickness with them. He said it looks like a normal Spring Break on the water.

Nothing at all. But how do you tell the pack of twenty something year olds that they can’t booze cruise the day away, but a family can boat to their hearts content?

My dad lives on the Colorado River near Lake Havasu. All the launch ramps on the CA side are closed and the AZ side is open. It’s creating an influx of dumb Californians pulling their boat across the bridge and likely bringing their SoCal sickness with them. He said it looks like a normal Spring Break on the water.
And while in Arizona they can play a round beforehand, get a haircut and even get their nails done before or after the party cruise. Gotta love the "essential services" still in play in Arizona to protect citizens (not).

We went out in the wifeyvan tonight, and once again all the local places are packed with people. We never got out, of course, but continued to be baffled by the decisions of others.

And while in Arizona they can play a round beforehand, get a haircut and even get their nails done before or after the party cruise. Gotta love the "essential services" still in play in Arizona to protect citizens (not).
Nails and haircuts are out as of 5pm yesterday. Golf courses open. All social distancing precautions are in place.

I see and understand both sides on shelter in place, just like everyone else I just want to get thru this and over as fast as possible. Complete shelter in place is probably the fastest, so while I may or may not agree I know nothing is getting lifted or changing until medically possible. So, I will go full shelter in place and doing my part as best as possible. Even if that means not enjoying being outside/golf/whatever activity alone or not.

^ True story. And that's the biggest thing the locals are griping about. A lot of Californians own summer "lake homes" in Havasu, and they're coming in droves to escape the lockdown over there. There's a big divide amongst locals - closing down all the ramps hurts people who live there, who want to be able to use the lake, but if everything was closed the Californians wouldn't be invading either.

The virus spread in Havasu/Mohave county is pretty minimal so far, but it won't stay that way with people coming from areas of much higher infection rates (SoCal) and bringing their crud along with them.

Last edited:
We went out in the wifeyvan tonight, and once again all the local places are packed with people. We never got out, of course, but continued to be baffled by the decisions of others.

Most of the decisions I make are solely to baffle others.

^ True story. And that's the biggest thing the locals are griping about. A lot of Californians own summer "lake homes" in Havasu, and they're coming in droves to escape the lockdown over there. There's a big divide amongst locals - closing down all the ramps hurts people who live there, who want to be able to use the lake, but if everything was closed the Californians wouldn't be invading either.

The virus spread in Havasu/Mohave county is pretty minimal so far, but it won't stay that way with people coming from areas of much higher infection rates (SoCal) and bringing their crud along with them.

According to my dad the only two cases in his county (La Paz) were two ladies from LA that had come out. It’s unfortunate that AZ is facilitating the circumventing of mandates set by a neighboring state. And now I understand the frustration others have spoken of on the east coast. Being a coastal Californian, I rarely have to deal with another state causing any BS near me.

I do worry about my dad. He’s 67 and he waterskis with his old person crew every day. If it were to get into their community a lot of folks would have serious issues.

I see and understand both sides on shelter in place, just like everyone else I just want to get thru this and over as fast as possible. Complete shelter in place is probably the fastest, so while I may or may not agree I know nothing is getting lifted or changing until medically possible. So, I will go full shelter in place and doing my part as best as possible. Even if that means not enjoying being outside/golf/whatever activity alone or not.

I understand and respect your choice. I’m in upstate NY. (150 miles north of NYC). I’ve been home since March 19. I only go out for groceries, takeout and for a daily walk. I have given up any hope of playing golf until who knows when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back