Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to stats, does it matter?

We have nanny states (overly safe) and every man for himself states (we'd like to be safe, but if not, we have capacity).

If you live in a nanny state, the faster you do what governors say, the curve goes down and you get out like many of us, um, let's get back to business States.

If you live in a every man for himself, then it's your choice. As long as they have capacity, people will do all sorts of things, safe and unsafe.

Go at it... that seems to be the theme from reading people's accounts. Some people look down at you for wearing a mask; others look down at you for not wearing a mask. Depends on the flavor of the State.

Whatever you do, the virus is still there ... watching you.

Sunseeker Resort in Port Charlotte, FL is on indefinite hold. Allegiant Air owns the development. They also bought a nearby golf course and started renovating it on April 1. This decision affects hundreds of construction workers.

WINK News coverage

Let’s do this... Who wants to talk to my wife and sell her on a trip to Vegas?

As to stats, does it matter?

We have nanny states (overly safe) and every man for himself states (we'd like to be safe, but if not, we have capacity).

If you live in a nanny state, the faster you do what governors say, the curve goes down and you get out like many of us, um, let's get back to business States.

If you live in a every man for himself, then it's your choice. As long as they have capacity, people will do all sorts of things, safe and unsafe.

Go at it... that seems to be the theme from reading people's accounts. Some people look down at you for wearing a mask; others look down at you for not wearing a mask. Depends on the flavor of the State.

Whatever you do, the virus is still there ... watching you.

It matters from the aspect of what is coming. We have nearly 50 million people unemployed and trillions added to the debt with a lot more coming.

We started with something that closed the economy to not overwhelm hospitals. THere are a ton of places that are still very much locked down and if the stats are correct (I have no idea), there was essentially no reason to do it, other than protect those must susceptible.

We said travel bans were racist, then got mad they werent done soon enough. We demanded ventilators and then learned nobody has not received one that needed it. We demanded more testing, when it turns out that while very important, if half or more are all in the same class, it might not be as necessary. We had/have shortages of goods, millions more losing jobs and thousands of companies closing or closed.

It seems like if we are supposed to listen to the data and close, we should listen to the data and analyze what we could have done better.

In the meantime, Ben Roethlisberger draws fire from the governor of PA for getting a haircut and beard trim. :rolleyes:

It matters from the aspect of what is coming. We have nearly 50 million people unemployed and trillions added to the debt with a lot more coming.

We started with something that closed the economy to not overwhelm hospitals. THere are a ton of places that are still very much locked down and if the stats are correct (I have no idea), there was essentially no reason to do it, other than protect those must susceptible.

We said travel bans were racist, then got mad they werent done soon enough. We demanded ventilators and then learned nobody has not received one that needed it. We demanded more testing, when it turns out that while very important, if half or more are all in the same class, it might not be as necessary. We had/have shortages of goods, millions more losing jobs and thousands of companies closing or closed.

It seems like if we are supposed to listen to the data and close, we should listen to the data and analyze what we could have done better.

It's been said there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Most anything can be framed to support a particular narrative. Some "studies" have been known to look for data that supports the narrative, instead of simply relying on factual data, which may not support the narrative.

I don't have the conclusive evidence that SIP orders were not necessary, but am a little behind the times. What are the age breakdowns then on the 90K that have passed despite all these restrictive measures? I know locally there have been deaths in their 30s and 40s, but that speaks to the quality of our health system compared to stateside.

Now, I will say that in my opinion, the idea of the SIP should never be seen as a 2 month situation; it should have been shorter term and I've always thought the uncertainty due to lack of testing & data drove the sip order longer than it should have gone on. Just my opinion of course.

I understand - this virus began with a lot of unknowns and people learned as they went. Distancing and SIP worked so well that not as many ventilators were needed, new techniques, drugs, and equipment were used to keep people off ventilators (because ventilators usually meant death) .... events evolved and guberment is usually the last to catch up.

My point is none of it matters now except capacity. Nanny States will learn to release the people sooner than later - people are returning to work and all States are opening more or less at various times. but not quick enough for some. Meanwhile, polls state that a majority of the public wants safe openings.

You have 50 States with various laws, the Feds kind of said, Governors, you handle it. So you're gonna have some variances. It's sad, really. Everyone has a different view of safe, etc. when you have 50 decisionmakers. People want to work, at least the ones making less if they were to go back to work. Chaotic as a whole but moving forward.

I don't have the conclusive evidence that SIP orders were not necessary, but am a little behind the times. What are the age breakdowns then on the 90K that have passed despite all these restrictive measures? I know locally there have been deaths in their 30s and 40s, but that speaks to the quality of our health system compared to stateside.
I just looked at my state's stats. 704 total deaths, almost 80% are 65+ years old, broken down by age as follows:

COVID D.jpg

Anyone that looked at the data made available from other countries (especially Italy) could see that this virus preyed on the old and the weak (especially those with co-morbidities).

If you couldn’t draw that conclusion from the Italy data, then that is on you and a reflection or lack there of, of your ability to critically think.

No one ever advocated shuttering assisted living homes, all that was advocated for was the quarantining of the Old & the Weak like we had done from every other pandemic in the history of Western Civilization.
Yep, there were reports 3 or 4 weeks ago that some states in the US were seeing 1/2 their deaths in nursing homes and the like.

Let’s do this... Who wants to talk to my wife and sell her on a trip to Vegas?

Oh baby! I can’t convince my wife, so I don’t think I’ll be of much help, but looks like it’s time to start watching flight prices...
In the meantime, Ben Roethlisberger draws fire from the governor of PA for getting a haircut and beard trim. :rolleyes:

Rightly so. The less of Ben’s face you can see, the better!

I just looked at my state's stats. 704 total deaths, almost 80% are 65+ years old, broken down by age as follows:

View attachment 8944242
Add to that this piece of the data. Note, I don't know what "other" designates but you can rule out everything that has a specific category from "other". The numbers shown are the number of "congregate facilities" where a defined "outbreak" occurred.
1589926078949.png

I’m not sure if this was posted in here or not but I just read that Pier 1 is going out of business and closing all their stores due to COVID.

View attachment 8944242

Here's the question, though, and I mean this as apolitically as possible since I really don't care at all which of the 2 main parties in the US wins - where should the line have been drawn? I mean, how can we tell how many lives strict social distancing saved vs the harm to the economy. Each is difficult to simulate. In hindsight, the line was definitely moved too far towards protecting people from Covid in certain areas. Don't think anyone can argue that. And perhaps some things should have been done earlier in the NE as well to save lives instead. I struggle with hindsight here, because I don't think the side arguing for having left the economy much more open can say with certainty what that would have done to total case numbers, hospital capacity and ultimately death. Likewise, people arguing for remaining closed don't have appropriate data to model the harm that's happening to the economy.

It was said from the beginning, this is not a moving goal post, that the idea behind strict social distancing was so that hospital capacity could not be overrun and thus only the most vulnerable would pass. Well, that's what happened. At too steep a cost, with too drastic of measures... I won't disagree, in hindsight. But those %s were the goal for those that wanted to enforce strict social distancing. I don't see how they can be used to argue against the measures.

I’m not sure if this was posted in here or not but I just read that Pier 1 is going out of business and closing all their stores due to COVID.

Nearly 15,000 more employees out of work.

It seems like if we are supposed to listen to the data and close, we should listen to the data and analyze should we have done it.
See this is your problem right here. You not supposed to worry about everything the "experts" said all the way back in April that turned out completely wrong or that they flipflopped on, or dwell on crazy, old fashioned concepts like data, you're only supposed to focus on the current narrative that your party backs and go with it 100% while assigning a pejorative label to anyone who disagrees. Get with the times bro.

Hospitalization stats for Arizona. 1746 cases hospitalized (12% of total COVID-19 cases), 790 of them 65 and older. 45% of all hospitalized cases:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.25.11 PM.png

Have anyone from other states heard much from their schools for fall plans? Had a meeting with my superintendent and our Department of Education is first proposing to open schools with social distancing. I was saying our school buildings are not made for social distancing. You have limited amount of classroom with 20-30 students, you have hallways to get to classes in older grades, lunchrooms, and on and on.

We are starting to plan for an option of having in person classes as normal (maybe masks required), and an option for students that have grandparents at home or have other concerns to grow our cyber school to include them. We also think putting certain teachers most vulnerable on long term disability or to cover cyber classrooms.

We want our students in classes because distant learning isn’t an option for most schools long term. Of course our Governor could have different ideas, but I expect the department of education got approval for them to start the process of planning.
I've heard two rumors, but nothing concrete as for plans in my district. One is to have secondary stay on distance learning so elementary can take over the space temporarily and spread out for more social distancing. The other is to have kids on an every other day schedule, alternating between in school and distance learning, so with half the kids they can spread out more.

Are we sure it's not because they sold overpriced crap in big stores with few customers?

Now if you can break that down into deaths in nursing homes ...
I can't find the stats to parse it that way, but @MagicSpell posted the graphic from the same website showing what type of congregate facilities had the greatest breakouts. That's about the closest I see to that kind of info.

Dovetailing on @JB’s comments. MN recorded 750 Covid-19 deaths and ~82% lived in extended care facilities with an average age of 83 or 84. Those 615 souls are a tragic for each family. Today we learned Senator John Glenn’s wife died of Covid-19. Remember him? Senator from OH, war vet, astronaut, etc. The media was slow to report her age. 100 glorious years and she was at a nursing home.
135 of the 750 people didn’t live at a nursing home. It would be interesting to see a health synopsis of each person. Willing to bet the vast majority had a serious co-morbidity issues. PSA: take care of yourself!

In the meantime, the state went from a $1.5B surplus to a $2.5B, and growing, deficit. This happened in 2 months! https://mn.gov/mmb/forecast/forecast/

State unemployment peaked around 20%.
On a personal level, two family members are healthcare providers and both were furloughed. One since March and the other on a temp basis. My gal owns a flooring store with 15 employees. They’re planning to reduce headcount to 10 people and outsource accounting. Some sales people will be offered employment as contractors. They currently have a nice healthcare package.

@JDax asked how history will record this event and it’s affects. If the Chinese wanted to split the nation, then they hit a home run. Ugh!

I've heard two rumors, but nothing concrete as for plans in my district. One is to have secondary stay on distance learning so elementary can take over the space temporarily and spread out for more social distancing. The other is to have kids on an every other day schedule, alternating between in school and distance learning, so with half the kids they can spread out more.
This an interesting idea. I may fly this by some on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back