Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't looked at the shelves for masks and such but one of our local hospitals accepted 5 infected patients because they are one of the few hospitals in the country that has a special air filtration isolation system.
Now I saw in the news that 2 people have died in the Seattle area. Luckily I live on the other side of the state and have a mountain range between us and Seattle. Until this dies down, I am not crossing the mountains. Am hoping and praying that my wife's brother in law that has leukemia, doesn't get infected over there.

I always wondered about the mask thing because it won't stop you from rubbing your hands across your eyes.

I've also read 2 different articles that say a healthy person gets no benefit from wearing a mask to prevent the virus. You still get it on your skin, eyes, etc...
The sick need to wear the masks so their coughs and sneezes don't get projected into the air.

I've also read 2 different articles that say a healthy person gets no benefit from wearing a mask to prevent the virus. You still get it on your skin, eyes, etc...
The sick need to wear the masks so their coughs and sneezes don't get projected into the air.

I've heard that, too. I still think I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You serious???

Eh, it was a bit tongue in cheek. I know what it is, but I'd rather not dry my skin out so much. I'll stick with soap and water.

The plant where I work issued a document for everyone with symptoms and all, and that's about it.

We figured we breathe in enough chemicals every day to kill any viruses. :oops:

The plant where I work issued a document for everyone with symptoms and all, and that's about it.

We figured we breathe in enough chemicals every day to kill any viruses. :oops:
Interesting, I was just reading where hand sanitizers are useless against chemicals that you are exposed to. Man, the world is messed up these days.

Interesting, I was just reading where hand sanitizers are useless against chemicals that you are exposed to. Man, the world is messed up these days.
We were just talking about it last week. We were really joking about breathing in the chemicals.

Yes, healthy people seem to be doing OK, but the symptoms are more severe than a cold, especially in the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions as compared to the common cold. And people with mild cases can spread it to others. And even those that are healthy can end up with pneumonia.

Is it apocalyptic? No, but even having what amounts to two different flus circulating at the same time, which is an outcome we could end up seeing, would severely stress healthcare systems.
I am not arguing over the severity of the impact. I am stating that young people aren't getting it and old people are dying from it. Also death in China was concentrated among the older male population. 47% of Chinese males smoke while only 8% of Chinese females smoke. That tells me lung health is a major factor in how severe the experience will be for someone contracting the virus. My bet is that just as many young people are getting it as old people, but for young healthy folks they just don't get as sick and maybe don't get sick at all so they don't even go to the Dr. Not only that, but they continue with their daily life and spread the disease. My hunch is that the number of cases of coronavirus in the US is several times larger than the number of confirmed cases. At least double and maybe 10X or more larger in magnitude.

Nothing happening in KS that we are aware of, no one wants to come here. ;)

I don't know...even being "just like the flu" didn't really go very well last time we didn't have medicine against it.

Nothing here yet, but we are flying out on the 18th to go to Disneyland & I will be stocking up on the hand sanitizer & wipes. From what I've heard mask do you no good & soap & water is more effective then sanitizer.

We'll be there on the 11th.

I heard a guy say that he tested bats (I think it was bats) and most of them had over 400 types of corona virus - not sure how true that is, but he was supposedly an expert that spent his life doing this type of research. He also said that he had warned people many years ago about this type of virus causing an outbreak, but apparently wasn't heard.

I am not arguing over the severity of the impact. I am stating that young people aren't getting it and old people are dying from it. Also death in China was concentrated among the older male population. 47% of Chinese males smoke while only 8% of Chinese females smoke. That tells me lung health is a major factor in how severe the experience will be for someone contracting the virus. My bet is that just as many young people are getting it as old people, but for young healthy folks they just don't get as sick and maybe don't get sick at all so they don't even go to the Dr. Not only that, but they continue with their daily life and spread the disease. My hunch is that the number of cases of coronavirus in the US is several times larger than the number of confirmed cases. At least double and maybe 10X or more larger in magnitude.

Some info suggests it’s targeting Ace2 receptors which are highest in Asian males over 50 who smoke.

And to the responses regarding just masks they r correct. So far it seams to travel through mouth nose and eyes so non ventilated goggles are a plus as well. Also n95 masks are min. If you can get 100 it’s better. For instance P100 from 3m are better than n95 as they filter a higher percentage.

Again more people dying from flu here than this but let’s see how it goes. Nothing wrong with prepping. End of world...not buying it. Would need to be much worse than this. Imo more important is who is releasing this and why. Obviously all of these current viruses are man made. SARS, Ebola, Zika, etc. what group of people r trying to take out populations and how to stop this group is very important imo.

My g/f is flying out of LAX today...she has a mask ready to go.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it "does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19," referring to the disease caused by the new coronavirus. Rather, experts caution that putting on a face mask without proper fitting and training could actually increase your risk.

I caught what I think is the flu and did not go play in a tournament yesterday partly because I felt like crap but also people are on edge around here with anyone who has a cough.

Any Chinese product is slow to get sold, in my business the entire china town market business has fallen off a cliff. I think it will get worse before it gets better.

Nothing going on up here at 7,600 feet, just hoping as Spring golf begins, we don't have to all go out as singles ;)

https://news.yahoo.com/stop-buying-masks-us-surgeon-205200075.html

• US Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Monday that wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting COVID-19, echoing remarks he made on Saturday that called for people to "stop buying masks."
  • In a similar stance, Vice President Mike Pence, the head of the US coronavirus task force, said on Saturday that the "average American" does not need to "go out and buy" a mask to protect themselves from coronavirus.
  • However, Pence also said the US is working with 3M and other manufacturers to produce at least 35 million more masks per month.
  • Photos and reports have shown masks and other supplies flying off the shelves as Americans grapple with the possibility of an outbreak in the US.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
US officials including Surgeon General Jerome Adams and Vice President Mike Pence have urged people against buying and wearing masks to protect themselves from the new coronavirus.

In an interview on Fox News' "Fox & Friends" on Monday, Adams said wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting the coronavirus.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said. "Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," he added.

Adams' comments Monday reiterate his blaring tweet from the weekend, urging people to "STOP BUYING MASKS." He said that they were "NOT effective" to the general public and noted that the increased demand in masks puts medical professionals at risk.

I was just in Vegas last week. Didn't wear a mask on the plane, but did wash my hands a lot. Didn't see very many in the airport with masks in Madison WI or Vegas.

I'm just curious since I've been on/off sick with colds from the kids if I'd even notice I had/have it? When you go to the doctors office the only thing they ask if I've traveled outside of the country. No questions about traveling at all or interacting with others who may have.

"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider," Adams said. "Folks who don't know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus," he added.

Adams' comments Monday reiterate his blaring tweet from the weekend, urging people to "STOP BUYING MASKS." He said that they were "NOT effective" to the general public and noted that the increased demand in masks puts medical professionals at risk.

So...masks do work. since medical professionals wear them. but, non medical people somehow don't know how to put a mask on? so it makes it worse?

right. what a joke.

Also - will be traveling to Disney World in May via air travel with my wife and 2 kids. My hope is that this won't be as widespread, but if we go, we'll definitely get masks and a big bottle of hand sanitizers. I made sure I book the seats in the first row of the plane (not first class) so that we can get in and out quick.

So...masks do work. since medical professionals wear them. but, non medical people somehow don't know how to put a mask on? so it makes it worse?

right. what a joke.

If he is talking about an N95 mask, then yes, there is a proper way to put it on so it's effective. I get tested every year on that.

If he is talking about the run of the mill masks that are much cheaper and more prevalent, that is a bit harder to believe.

I've gotten multiple emails in the past 2 days with our hospital updating our strategy on possible COVID infections. Long story short: unless a patient is sick enough to get admitted to the hospital with significant respiratory symptoms or has a concerning travel history, they are probably not going to get tested for it.

Thank God Punxsutawney Phil could not find his shadow. He may have saved the country without knowing it. Bring on the HEAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back