Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter was just told her study abroad is over in Florence Italy. She is flying home later this week.

Lets try not to take a thread like this political.
Thank you.

Exactly. Stick to corona man. Speaking of which.

631e70220288f1ea7e27029d0ca453fc.jpg
I thought he was a victim of Lyme Diseas

My daughter was just told her study abroad is over in Florence Italy. She is flying home later this week.

Are they letting her come back to school, or does she also have to stay away from school for a couple of weeks?

Are they letting her come back to school, or does she also have to stay away from school for a couple of weeks?

Couple of the schools who had kids in Italy have them out for a week or so here. I think they were coming from Milan though, which is the source of a lot of the cases.

My niece is in Italy right now and staying there. This virus has been blown totally out of proportion. The virus attacks those with weak lungs. Older guys mostly. It is not as bad as numerous other outbreaks that have taken place....Buy media loves to blow things up.

My niece is in Italy right now and staying there. This virus has been blown totally out of proportion. The virus attacks those with weak lungs. Older guys mostly. It is not as bad as numerous other outbreaks that have taken place....Buy media loves to blow things up.

Not strictly true. In a small number of cases, the immune system can go into overdrive and cause death in people that are fit and healthy. The problem is, although the mortality rate isn’t as high as something like SARS, this virus is far more contagious.

Not strictly true. In a small number of cases, the immune system can go into overdrive and cause death in people that are fit and healthy. The problem is, although the mortality rate isn’t as high as something like SARS, this virus is far more contagious.
Corona mortality rate 2%....Bird Flu 39%, MERS 34%, H1N1 was 17% and very contagious....SARS was 10%. I will hold true to the …..Media blowing this way out of proportion. My Brother-in -law and wife are from a medical family...Their daughter has been traveling around visiting several countries the past month as part of her study abroad. They have chosen to let her stay there. She is in Rome now, but has visited 6 countries in the area.

Hadn’t thought of that GG but yea eventually it will be limited to essential public workers like healthcare. Same thing happened when we had a gas shortage awhile back. Sorry to hear that man. Just means let’s open some factories in your country! In the meantime maybe u want to look into dating a healthcare worker :)
My wife’s practice is already dealing with it.

I guess you could say I’m “dating a healthcare worker”

Corona mortality rate 2%....Bird Flu 39%, MERS 34%, H1N1 was 17% and very contagious....SARS was 10%. I will hold true to the …..Media blowing this way out of proportion. My Brother-in -law and wife are from a medical family...Their daughter has been traveling around visiting several countries the past month as part of her study abroad. They have chosen to let her stay there. She is in Rome now, but has visited 6 countries in the area.

This has already killed more people than SARS, so the rate doesn't tell the whole story. I agree that I would still travel (outside of a few areas) - but it's still something that's worth paying attention to. My wife works with a lot of folks with family in Iran - I would not tell them it's being "blown way out of proportion". It's a novel, emerging, disease that is not completely understood yet. It's worth being cautious. And frankly, I haven't seen much in the way of people being overly apocalyptic in their reporting.

My wife’s practice is already dealing with it.

I guess you could say I’m “dating a healthcare worker”

I am connected to healthcare about as much as anyone and these masks are not really used medically. They are more for workers exposed to dust and particles. Healthcare tends to use surgical masks which as already stated are not designed against this type of spreading. That being said the correct masks are being ordered through supply chain as they are typically ordered for facilities or plant operations as some call theses departments. Them and environmental (cleaning dept).
But yea healthcare, police, fire, etc govt public facing employees and dept I’m sure r purchasing to stockpile at this point if not already. Wouldn’t need to so much if manufacturing was local...

I am connected to healthcare about as much as anyone and these masks are not really used medically. They are more for workers exposed to dust and particles. Healthcare tends to use surgical masks which as already stated are not designed against this type of spreading. That being said the correct masks are being ordered through supply chain as they are typically ordered for facilities or plant operations as some call theses departments. Them and environmental (cleaning dept).
But yea healthcare, police, fire, etc govt public facing employees and dept I’m sure r purchasing to stockpile at this point if not already. Wouldn’t need to so much if manufacturing was local...

It’s not about if they actually work or not. Unfortunately it’s what’s perceived by the public. Companies are already restricting the quantities that people can order so they can manage their own stock.

This has already killed more people than SARS, so the rate doesn't tell the whole story. I agree that I would still travel (outside of a few areas) - but it's still something that's worth paying attention to. My wife works with a lot of folks with family in Iran - I would not tell them it's being "blown way out of proportion". It's a novel, emerging, disease that is not completely understood yet. It's worth being cautious. And frankly, I haven't seen much in the way of people being overly apocalyptic in their reporting.

Not apocalyptic per se. Just running it through the spin cycle and pushing it all day and night long. Zerohedge for instance which is traditionally a financially based website has probably every other article on each the last week or so. Every news channel I turn to is talking about it. LinkedIn is constantly showing me feeds of hospitals and employees having a conference on it. Even Trump is going to HIMMS first time in US history to discuss in a measured way like he did with the conference the other day. Gotta calm the cattle. :)
Yes it is real. Yes it is spreading around the world. Yes it needs to be treated seriously. No it’s not the virus to end all life in the world. We will push through this man made thing just like we push through all of the man made things that are thrown upon us. More importantly who is creating all of these designer viruses and how do we stop them from doing again. I mean this one seems to target a specific set of sequences like it’s a targeted virus. If that’s the case then this is very scary. Whatever group doing them before will now be less cautious because they can exclude themselves comfortably from the next release. That’s the real scary thought here.

Our company has halted all travel to/from China, South Korea, and Italy, all significant business centers for us. We are seeing materials move and likely have sufficient buffers to absorb the immediate disruptions. The unknown challenge is what's going to happen to global supply chains when much of the world's fleet of cargo ships are going to be in the wrong places at the wrong time - second quarter, perhaps.

It's being blown out of proportion because it has been politicized by the left. They want it to be a tragedy to hang on Trump like Katrina. The media is following the script and creating hysteria when calm and informed commentary is needed. Sad how low the mainstream media news has sunk. So where do people go for "insight"? Sadly the internet with even less of a filter and fact checking. LESS PEOPLE WILL DIE FROM THIS THAN THE FLU! Everyone is freaked out because it is new and can be transmitted like the flu. The CDC estimates that 12,469 died in the US from H1N1 (swine flu). That was on Obama's watch but who remembers that?

I disagree.....So far this year...33 million Americans have had the Flu. 18,000 have died...Why isn't there a post for Flu on THP...Why is there a post for this....This post is a microcosm in the manner by which it has been blown out of proportion.

Annnnnddddd here comes the politics.

Good god.

One of the largest 3M manufacturing plants for respirators is in South Dakota and they are now running 3 shifts and hiring more workers every day to ramp up production. 3M has 41 manufacturing plants in the U.S. but the idea that they can make everything in the U.S. when we are only 5% of the worlds population is naive at best.

I disagree.....So far this year...33 million Americans have had the Flu. 18,000 have died...Why isn't there a post for Flu on THP...Why is there a post for this....This post is a microcosm in the manner by which it has been blown out of proportion.
I don’t want to fan a flame here, but there was a Flu thread this year. I posted the thread when my family came down with Flu-A pretty bad before flu shots were even available. I believe it was @Nate’s favorite thread of 2019.

And....my kids’ school district just cancelled all domestic travel to the lower 48. My son was on a college team and was heading out for a FIRST Robotics Competition. Ugh.

Good god.

My apologies if you don't hear this in the Great White North but it is very real down here. And to ignore the underlying narrative if you are an American is naive.

My apologies if you don't hear this in the Great White North but it is very real down here. And to ignore the underlying narrative if you are an American is naive.

People are more than welcome to voice their opinions. Just hope it doesn’t lead to the rabbit hole that has shut down threads before. That’s all.

Good god.

With people taking it this direction, I’m out of here. If anyone wants to discuss with someone who’s working on this stuff, I’m always available by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back