Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work travel ban - in effect. So much for Atlanta golf at the end of the month.

we are in the same dilemma. We are expecting Disney to close doors if the spread does not slow down. Plane tickets have been purchased, holding off buying park passes until brighter days are in the forecast.

I was at Disney last week and thought the same thing. Closing the parks seems enviable.

I'm scheduled to attend a conference in Orlando at the end of March and surprised they haven't cancelled it yet. There's an orthopedic surgeon conference in Orlando next week and academia participants are cancelling en masse.

I really don't understand cancelling college classes or making them online only. If i was still in college then I would still have to go to my job serving tables and would still go to the bars. Heck probably more than if classes were going on.
Removes the liability from them. That’s all that is.

From what I’ve read, it’s at the request of the governor. If he hadn’t made that request, I’m not sure so many would be making the move this quick.

From what I’ve read, it’s at the request of the governor. If he hadn’t made that request, I’m not sure so many would be making the move this quick.

Ahh possibly. I still think it’s ultimately a liability issue. Will something happen? Probably not. If it for some reason would after this was all out there, would the schools be SOL in a lawsuit? Probably.

Ahh possibly. I still think it’s ultimately a liability issue. Will something happen? Probably not. If it for some reason would after this was all out there, would the schools be SOL in a lawsuit? Probably.

Well they are still allowing them to stay in the dorm rooms if they want. And also go to the library, dining halls, etc. But, encouraging social distancing. Not the Rec center though. Also canceling most events that would be large gatherings. The only time an employee would be sent home is if they are sick.

Id think having kids still living in the dorm rooms would be just as big a liability. At least in my day many years ago, if one person in our floor got sick, most everyone else would get it eventually too.

Another update from our area due to the virus.

Some businesses are telling employees to stay home, and in some cases even work from home. Our daughter, and another family member are now working from home till further notice.

Some of the buffets, and food courts are closing up shop.

Individuals, and groups of individuals are lawyering up to recover deposits. Our daughter, and another family member will most likely be a part of some suit to recover monies.

My wife and I took a short 90 (180 rt) mile road trip to go shopping where shelves are guaranteed to be stocked. Actually it was just a nice drive in the rain for us. .

So, things are begining to happen around here.

Unfortunately, Purdue just announced that as of March 23rd all classes will move to online-only for the remainder of the semester.

Well they are still allowing them to stay in the dorm rooms if they want. And also go to the library, dining halls, etc. But, encouraging social distancing. Not the Rec center though. Also canceling most events that would be large gatherings. The only time an employee would be sent home is if they are sick.

Id think having kids still living in the dorm rooms would be just as big a liability. At least in my day many years ago, if one person in our floor got sick, most everyone else would get it eventually too.
Ah yea true. Maybe they are thinking at that point they can just quarantine entire dorms? Haha

Ah yea true. Maybe they are thinking at that point they can just quarantine entire dorms? Haha

I would bet the colleges are thinking of money at this point. If my kid gets told that the dorm and all dining options have been closed, you can damn well bet I want a refund for the time not used. No way they want to refund as much money as would be needed. So, how is it protecting the students by just going online learning, but allowing all the students to still be around each other?

We have now got 1 confirmed case in my home town according to the local news

The company near London that my step-daughter works for told them all last week to take their laptops and anything else they need and work from home for the next few weeks

Seems a little bit ironic, but the UK Minister for Health has been diagnosed with it as well

Governor declares state of emergency after 2 reported cases. Now MSU has suspended face to face instruction until April 20 :oops: This is unbelievable

A lot of paranoia in NY at the moment. I work in NYC and live in Westchester. Out of the 173 cases in NY (last reported), 108 can be traced to a single location in New Rochelle, NY ( a suburb of NYC). That's less than 10 miles away from me and on the same train line as me. A lot of anxiety and stress all around. A single cough causes you to get a few dirty looks; and a couple coughs and people are quickly distancing themselves from you.

Governor declares state of emergency after 2 reported cases. Now MSU has suspended face to face instruction until April 20 :oops: This is unbelievable

At the GM Tech center today a few of us are waiting for an announcement that those who can should be working from home. It's just speculation at the moment though.

A lot of paranoia in NY at the moment. I work in NYC and live in Westchester. Out of the 173 cases in NY (last reported), 108 can be traced to a single location in New Rochelle, NY ( a suburb of NYC). That's less than 10 miles away from me and on the same train line as me. A lot of anxiety and stress all around. A single cough causes you to get a few dirty looks; and a couple coughs and people are quickly distancing themselves from you.

Someone from my office lives in New Rochelle and is now quarantined. We are now working remotely for now. Since I am in the service business an easy transition for me given the latest in technology. Don't know what you would do if you had to physically go to an office, or factory etc. to perform your job.

No cases of nCOVID-19 in our state but ALL the toilet paper is gone in the local Wal-Marts...

God bless my wife for putting up with me:
808A10FB-9032-4C74-AF7A-FEC7ABF919A8.jpeg

I meant to look at the stash of essentials at Meijer yesterday but forgot.

Facebook is hilarious right now.
Its comical isn't it? I was at Target yesterday and meant to do the same. Now that they are closing colleges its going to get even worse I think. Better go stock up on TP haha

I plan to stock up on barrel proof whiskey. For safety of course.

Last edited:
I don’t get the rush on toilet paper. Do your bowels go into overdrive if you contract the virus or is everyone planning to be quarantined?

I don’t get the rush on toilet paper. Do your bowels go into overdrive if you contract the virus or is everyone planning to be quarantined?
the hershey squirts, man. Scary stuff, big TP burn.

Its comical isn't it? I was at Target yesterday and meant to do the same. Now that they are closing colleges its going to get even worse I think. Better go stock up on TP haha
Colleges should already be all online lmao!

I'm not worried about any of this, honestly. With a kid in preschool, I'm undoubtedly getting exposed to everything. What happens from there isn't in my hands hahaha

Working at a university and with federal agencies on projects, I have seen several travel and associated logistical work impacts. I expect those will only increase over the next few weeks. Rumors flying that after spring break (next week) the university will close and run video classes or some alternative. Rumors, but seeing as that kind of dramatic change has happened at other campuses, I won't be surprised. At stores, we see the same things as others: Hand sanitizer and toilet paper sold out. I don't know of any confirmed cases yet in Montana, but it is just a matter of time. Testing is more limiting there than opportunity for spread.

/opinion Overall I see these things as minor inconveniences. I don't mind changes in the short term to help protect the most vulnerable among us. My opinion is that if we can't do that, we don't really deserve all the good things and opportunities we have. I would hate to travel or stay business as usual and contribute directly or indirectly as a virus vector that kills someone's elderly mom, grandfather, asthmatic daughter, sick partner, etc. I don't have any fear of personal impact. I do care about people overall. We are strongest when we work together through challenges. /opinion

USAF canceled graduation ceremony attendance for non mission essential personnel... Not a local effect but it affected us since we're in TX with nothing to do now :angry:

Working at a university and with federal agencies on projects, I have seen several travel and associated logistical work impacts. I expect those will only increase over the next few weeks. Rumors flying that after spring break (next week) the university will close and run video classes or some alternative. Rumors, but seeing as that kind of dramatic change has happened at other campuses, I won't be surprised. At stores, we see the same things as others: Hand sanitizer and toilet paper sold out. I don't know of any confirmed cases yet in Montana, but it is just a matter of time. Testing is more limiting there than opportunity for spread.

/opinion Overall I see these things as minor inconveniences. I don't mind changes in the short term to help protect the most vulnerable among us. My opinion is that if we can't do that, we don't really deserve all the good things and opportunities we have. I would hate to travel or stay business as usual and contribute directly or indirectly as a virus vector that kills someone's elderly mom, grandfather, asthmatic daughter, sick partner, etc. I don't have any fear of personal impact. I do care about people overall. We are strongest when we work together through challenges. /opinion
Like I am always told...you don't get the flu shot for you, it's for those that can't. Everyone is always worried about themselves and if they will be effected...which in this case most will not if you are healthy and under 60-70. But...you can certainly carry it and pass it on easily to someone who can't fight it. It's a very short sided view point.

The TP thing is still something that I don't understand haha. Also very evident that no one washed their hands previously...gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back