Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much nailed it. My wife getting laid off yesterday landed home like a ton of bricks... this went from 0-WTF really quick. One foot in front of the other time to do work as a society.
Similar boat for us. Hang in there. It’s a scary thing to have a job/income go away but it’s going to be okay. We are all in this together.

i don’t really see people saying it only hits the elderly as much as I see people saying the death rates are disproportionately affecting the elderly.

Agreed.

i don’t really see people saying it only hits the elderly as much as I see people saying the death rates are disproportionately affecting the elderly.

All of the spring breakers in Florida the past few days beg to differ.

Social media is the worst sometimes, trying to look at the facts and be reasonable and find a middle ground is met with such vitriol that most everything out there ends up with this with me or against me mindset.
Only sometimes? The news is just as bad with some pushing the worst case scenario as their model. Fueling the panic instead of keeping calm and informed.

I think people don't particularly understand the impact that it's having on younger people (20-45). People are looking at death rates, but there are a lot of people that are going into the ICU that I think a lot of folks would refer to as "not at risk".

Pretty much nailed it. My wife getting laid off yesterday landed home like a ton of bricks... this went from 0-WTF really quick. One foot in front of the other time to do work as a society.

Very sorry to hear that. Hang in there as best you can.

The Big 3 shut down their plants yesterday. This whole area is hugely driven by them and that will affect everything. Detroit had really just started to come back from the really tough times of the last recession. Scary that it could start all over again especially if this goes on for a while.

Even here, people are flocking to restaurants and bars right up until the ban goes into effect. I think attitudes are influenced (even subconsciously) by the message that it's no big deal for healthy people. People hear "this probably won't kill you" and think "I'm not at risk". There are a lot of illnesses that won't kill you, but are a huge problem for your health and the healthcare system. This is one of them...

The universities in the UNC system released a statement this morning, that they will more than likely have to cancel all graduation ceremonies in early May.

All Xi Jinping had to do was pick up the phone in December... One phone call.

Piece of :poop:

Last edited:
Doesn't our country have a massive issue with obesity and heart problems though? I would think those factors alone make the US one of the worst places for this to hit.
We do, however Italy's situation especially in that region of their country made it ripe to get over run.
Could it happen here? Maybe, but is it probable? I don't think so...

Fair point. But those were drunk teenagers. That’s a suspect sample group - I know how stupid I was at that age :)

Fair point. But those were drunk teenagers. That’s a suspect sample group - I know how stupid I was at that age :)

Yes, I don't think we should draw any conclusions about the population at large from 19-20 year olds :D

Sadly they are allowed to vote :D

Thank you ... I just think the Italy comparison to the US isn’t valid because of all of these various factors and variables that aren’t close to being the same.

Let me be clear , I’m not down playing the seriousness of this virus, my wife has Lupus (I’ve been working at home for over a week). I hope we are able to flatten the curve and beat this thing...
Agree, this is a nasty virus. However, you (and others) are using math and facts to process the situation. I’m certain you’re also thinking about the potential impacts on your wife and other family members.
IMHO, South Korea is a better reference point for the US. As you stated, there are significant differences when comparing Italy and US.

We do, however Italy's situation especially in that region of their country made it ripe to get over run.
Could it happen here? Maybe, but is it probable? I don't think so...
You don't think over 50% of the population being in an at risk category can overrun the system here?

I think the ones that are actually voting are the more mature intelligent ones of that age group. Probably not many of the ones out on the beach.

Spending the day at Mayo/St. Mary’s Hospital. Defensive practices are in action everywhere.

Literally got into it with a Twitter follower who was convinced COVID only "affects the elderly."

that is going to be a common theme unfortunately.

I guess those that think it only affects the elderly, don't have parents or grandparents to worry about. BTW: NY has over double the cases of WA (we're #2, hopefully, the number of infections are slowing down - social distancing is working?)

the city of Fresno issued SIP orders but not the entire county...

It's not just being elderly per se as it is also many elderly folks have pre-existing conditions that makes them more vulnerable. Of course, what exactly comprises the elderly? I am almost 65 and don't feel elderly. I exercise daily, walk when I play golf, etc. They say I am more vulnerable to the virus than younger folks.

Just heard that Chicago is implementing shelter in place starting tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back