Coronavirus and the Masters

When I started this thread, I didn't realize how prescient Mrs SAM was about the Wuhan Virus. She is a germ freak, and I pretty much thought this was way overblown. How wrong was I???

Now we get to consider if there will be a Masters this year. Putting aside that it would have to take dates away from another venue, if the Masters tried to go with summer dates, it would be a hugely different look and playing conditions. The course has a Bermuda grass base for all but the bentgrass greens. Can you imagine the Masters with thick Bermuda rough? Also, the bent is not heat tolerant and would likely not be shaved to the extent it is in April. Also, spectator safety might be threatened more by the heat and summer thunderstorms than by the Wuhan Virus.

The scuttlebutt around here is that October would be the time frame, with the displaced event possibly moving a few weeks to the end of the season. Rye overseed in this area is usually starting in late September and takes about 3 weeks to establish, so I would look to latter October/November before the time change. Also, the concessions/gift shops are mostly manned by local high schoolers (who are on spring break Masters week in April), so local school systems would have to accommodate that. The volunteers that man the ropes and information booths and so much more are largely former military and come from all over the country. Just saying all this to show that logistically it would be pretty involved to move the dates.

I think I would have to put my money on no Masters in 2020.

Have to take this with a grain of salt, but this is interesting

9CE83040-5490-4710-9E87-72B80D40CEA4.jpeg

Back