Could or would you armlock?

There is a struggle though. Lag putting, which was a strength for me with a regular putter, has been tough to adjust to. Now that I'm feeling confident on shorter putts I need to spend some major time on the practice green working on it.

This was my challenge with armlock, although unlike you I can’t say lag putting was ever a strength. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: KEV
My new Arm Lock Bettinardi is arriving today at Club Champion and I am on vacation in another state. Going to be fun to grab it and go play, but now the anticipation is killing me.

I've ordered one but it still hasn't shipped.

I really really want to try it

I think guys will be pleasantly surprised if they really give it a chance. I don't see myself going back unless it gets banned. Really hope it doesnt.
It’s an interesting thought but not sure after the last go round and explanation, they could.

I think guys will be pleasantly surprised if they really give it a chance. I don't see myself going back unless it gets banned. Really hope it doesnt.

If it gets banned I'll continue to use mine unless I no longer choose to use it. If the governing bodies decide to ban it AND buy my putter back at full pop I would happily comply.

BTW I don't play in any tournaments and just keep a handicap for amusement sake. I quit playing in tournament decades ago... all of the sandbaggers were winning most of the time and giving the same acceptance speech. Besides... it's also not fun playing 5.5+ hour rounds. :mad:

I’ve rolled a few putts with an armlock putter in the past. I would definitely give it a shot at that spot in my bag. My strikes were all really consistent.

I spent a good chunk of time over lunch trying to dial in distance control on lag putts. Toward the end I was seeing really good progress but it's something I'll have to Kerri working on. I'm guessing it's because I can't use my wrists too help create that little extra oomph but I tend to leave long putts really short. Hopefully my work today will continue on to the actual course.

Looking forward to getting this beauty out on the course later this week.

7E96BC02-8E05-48D7-851E-3BB7116AC96A.jpegB09B9160-BFAE-4F94-A66E-91FD6F93D24E.jpeg333D26A2-680D-4EF5-8F6B-527289229E90.jpeg042E1DC0-2372-4E67-9662-1D2D428A12F6.jpeg5FB977FA-E509-4023-B063-0671262D3DB9.jpegB8281CE2-277C-406F-B225-6533BA643099.jpeg

Alright, need some help. Took a pin 18 year break from the game and just returning. The break was partly due to putting struggles ( the “y” word) that I only got past with a broomstick putter. Now back, I tried a short putter and had the affliction back immediately. Picked up an Odyssey arm lock and giving it a go. Better than the short putter but I still seem to have the right hand jerking at impact quite often and cannot trust the stroke.

I can grab the armlock in my old broomstick grip and no yips at all but the club’s lie doesn’t allow me to get close enough to the ball with the sole flat on the ground. I’ve tried the “Bryson” pretty stiff and rigid, shoulders only approach and it might be better. Is that what I should focus on doing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alright, need some help. Took a pin 18 year break from the game and just returning. The break was partly due to putting struggles ( the “y” word) that I only got past with a broomstick putter. Now back, I tried a short putter and had the affliction back immediately. Picked up an Odyssey arm lock and giving it a go. Better than the short putter but I still seem to have the right hand jerking at impact quite often and cannot trust the stroke.

I can grab the armlock in my old broomstick grip and no yips at all but the club’s lie doesn’t allow me to get close enough to the ball with the sole flat on the ground. I’ve tried the “Bryson” pretty stiff and rigid, shoulders only approach and it might be better. Is that what I should focus on doing?

Here's a video from tonight of my stroke. There's a very, very good chance I'm doing it wrong so take it with a grain of salt. I can tell you that the JumboMax grip is a must on an arm lock putter IMO. It makes "locking" it to my arm so much easier with that flat surface.

Anyway here is my stroke on about a 15-20 foot putt.

View attachment trim.C5566342-FF0F-403B-8E6E-C95E7FF445DD.MOV

Here's a video from tonight of my stroke. There's a very, very good chance I'm doing it wrong so take it with a grain of salt. I can tell you that the JumboMax grip is a must on an arm lock putter IMO. It makes "locking" it to my arm so much easier with that flat surface.

View attachment 9016660

KEV, I’d kill for that stroke. Very helpful for me to see. I’ll go to work on mimicking your position. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 9016660
That stroke looks really good to me. I like how still your head is. FWIW, I don’t think that I like the JumboMax quite as well as something a bit smaller, such as what comes stock on either the Cobra armlocks or the Ping armlocks. Different strokes (literally).

• Appreciation
Played today and hit some really good lag putts, which has been a big benefit vs the standard putter. Still not making much, but also not 3 putting much. So I'd say we are stuck in neutral still a bit.

KEV, I’d kill for that stroke. Very helpful for me to see. I’ll go to work on mimicking your position. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, lucky for me you can't see the result :ROFLMAO:.

That stroke looks really good to me. I like how still your head is. FWIW, I don’t think that I like the JumboMax quite as well as something a bit smaller, such as what comes stock on either the Cobra armlocks or the Ping armlocks. Different strokes (literally).

Absolutely. I think Jumbomax works well for me because of my scrawny little bird arms :ROFLMAO:.

UPDATE: so I worked a bit on KEV’s stroke via the video. Felt good at home but started yipping again pretty quickly. Wondering if a fatter grip than the Odyssey might help.

At the putting green today I went to the “short broomstick” approach and drilled three straight 20 foot putts. Maybe I ought to quit fighting it and just roll with that approach!

I may have figured something out with lag putting and arm lock. It seems like of I stand a little further away from the ball I'm freed up a little bit and I make much better contact and get it much closer. I had one lag in league tonight that was pretty bad but a couple others that turned out really good.

At least I'm seeing progress.

I would try but I would want it with an odyssey tank style , heavy grip.

Ive putted left hand low the last 5 years so Im hit opposed to unconventional

Today was by far my best putting round with the arm lock and one of the best putting rounds in general that I've had in awhile. The greens were running really fast which was really the first test like that I've had at those speeds.

It seems like standing away from the ball a bit more helps with my lag putting quite a bit. On closer putts I'm sneaking just a bit closer to the ball.

One thing I really noticed today was that the arm lock has helped with my tempo. If I get too quick the butt wants to come off my forearm a little so I'm required to have a smooth tempo to prevent that. That was another huge part of my consistency with lag putting today and it's not something I thought of as being a potential benefit.

Bumping an old post on Armlock putters. Saw a post from TM Instagram on a new Armlock putter and it got me thinking about one again.

Does anyone here use an Armlock putter? Have you found that your putting accuracy has improved with it?

I use the Evnroll Midlock putter. Mine is the ER11vx. I find that I can set up much more normally with it yet it keeps me really locked in with my stroke. For the first time in a long time I am not constantly looking at putters. I have had several arm locks including Callaway and a Sik Bryson style putter and this one I am really comfortable with. It is definitely worth a look if you are at a golf shop and they have them.

FWIW, the so called Anchoring Ban rule was misnamed. It should have been called the Some Anchoring Ban rule, because that is what they did. They even included the arm lock method as a permitted method in the graphics that accompanied this rule. As any mechanical engineer will tell you the arm lock method is anchoring with the anchor point being your shoulder socket.

After watching a Bryson video he talks about using Armlock to make sure he is launching the ball the same way every time. Spending time in a putter fitting where I ended up with a Sik putter I can tell you I have never thought about that before. It is important and I can tell you my consistency has improved and if an Armlock would help it more I would use it. I just would never buy one off the rack though. :ROFLMAO:

After watching a Bryson video he talks about using Armlock to make sure he is launching the ball the same way every time. Spending time in a putter fitting where I ended up with a Sik putter I can tell you I have never thought about that before. It is important and I can tell you my consistency has improved and if an Armlock would help it more I would use it. I just would never buy one off the rack though. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah it’s crazy how much the Sik face helps with consistency. I’ve thought about armlock in the past but agree that I’d have to work with a pro to get the right one. Every time I’ve messed with it at the store it feels very unnatural to me.

Back