Could or would you armlock?

Waiting for hype and prices to come down, then I'm all about trying an armlock putter!

The armlock putter is a total game changer for me. I have rolled several different models in stores and have had one in the bag for a few rounds now. My putts per round are down about 2, all other things being equal. Each round has featured a long putt (25 feet or longer) going in the hole. My last round, I sunk a 75 foot putt for an eagle. Sure, it was luck, but this style of putting is allowing me to hit my lines like maybe I never have before. I remain super stoked about it.

I am tempted to go back to the armlock. I used one the end of last year. It was awesome for short and mid range putts. I struggled, however, with longer putts and couldn't quite get comfortable. I bought it on a whim and had no idea what to pick with specs. Back with a standard putter, I find myself missing the stability and consistency and can't say my distance control is any better or worse.. If I do go this way again, I want to get fitted. I will travel to Colorado the first couple of weeks of July. I might just set up a fitting at a PGATSS. That would be easy. I could also go to CC. One or both are likely to happen. I need a change. I have developed my game to the point where my ball striking is pretty darn consistent. My putting, on the other hand, is pure crap. I could use the help.

I'm diving in head first. Bought one from @KEV. Going to get it regripped with a bit wider grip and then straight into play later this week. Having played around with it, I can already see the potential benefits.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but it feels like I have to extend my arm outside my normal body range to get it against my forearm to lock it in. Feels so unnatural.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but it feels like I have to extend my arm outside my normal body range to get it against my forearm to lock it in. Feels so unnatural.

Bad fitting putter for you. I think the putter needs to be properly fit for your stroke and how you set up.

My set up is similar to your description. I adjusted super quick, though. I hit a practice green for 15 minutes, messed with it at home on my putting matt and then took it out for a round. I putted great the first round and now it feels normal.

The other thing could be to move the ball back in your stance. The armlock putters have a ton of loft on them so ball position farther back can make sense.

I took an armlock out to the practice green today during lunch. The main issue that concerned me in going armlock was that I would struggle mightily with distance control. The concern was completely baseless. In addition, I still seem to sink a few very long putts that I never did with such regularity with a normal putter. I come ever closer to selling off my collection of traditional putters.

It’s a point of contention for many in the rules, I know, but could you or would you armlock for an extended timeframe? Or have you before? Love it? Leave it? No difference?
Im sure that I could but I wont because I personally feel that its anchoring and anchoring is cheating.

Im sure that I could but I wont because I personally feel that its anchoring and anchoring is cheating.
I am not sure how you can say that it’s cheating, if the rules permit it. “Cheating” means committing an unfair or dishonest act to gain an advantage. If the rules permit it, how can it be unfair or dishonest? Now, if you are saying the rules makers are creating inconsistency in the rules, I think it is a fair debate.

I am not sure how you can say that it’s cheating, if the rules permit it. “Cheating” means committing an unfair or dishonest act to gain an advantage. If the rules permit it, how can it be unfair or dishonest? Now, if you are saying the rules makers are creating inconsistency in the rules, I think it is a fair debate.
Anchoring itself was legal at one point in time, that didnt make it right.

You’d have to put me in an armlock to try that.

You are making blanket moral judgments. It seems like you are saying that every person who uses an armlock is a cheater. I can understand any person saying it isn’t for him or her, but when you throw out a word like “cheating,” for doing something permitted by the rules, you are substituting your views for the actual rules.

Of course anchoring was morally fine until it was outlawed. One person’s view of what the rules should be does not make it so. By your logic, Jack Nicklaus has every right to call every Tour player a cheater because he thinks the ball should be dialed back and they are using balls that should be illegal.

Spent some time at the putting green today and really liked what I saw. It absolutely takes your wrists out of the stroke, and is much easier to go straight back and straight through when its only your shoulders doing the motion. I noticed a slight tendency to hit it harder than I intended to at first, but quickly got used to it. I actually felt more confident with it so far on longer putts than shorter ones. I was making a lot of mid range putts in that 15 foot range. Very excited to get it on the course tomorrow or Thursday.

There is a difference between I think it is wrong or not in "the spirit of the game" and cheating. I think if anchoring long and belly putters are banned arm lock should be banned but it isn't so it isn't cheating.

Spent some time at the putting green today and really liked what I saw. It absolutely takes your wrists out of the stroke, and is much easier to go straight back and straight through when its only your shoulders doing the motion. I noticed a slight tendency to hit it harder than I intended to at first, but quickly got used to it. I actually felt more confident with it so far on longer putts than shorter ones. I was making a lot of mid range putts in that 15 foot range. Very excited to get it on the course tomorrow or Thursday.
You are describing my experience. Good luck.

Round 1 is in the books. While I didn’t make many putts I definitely consider it a promising start. Was around the hole a lot with good pace. Stroke felt good and was hitting my lines. Think I had 1 3 putt but it was a very likely one from very long distance. Next round is on greens I know very well. Think some putts will be dropping.

Man after 2 rounds I am absolutely loving it. Has really helped my putting. Played some tricky greens today and had no 3 putts and made quite a few of those 5-8 footers. Wish I had done this sooner.

After about 4 times out with the SIK arm lock I'm kind of smitten. My biggest challenge is lag putting but admittedly I haven't spent much time practicing that so it will be a focus coming up.

The most impressive thing is how much confidence I have 10 feet and in now. The stroke seems so simple and repeatable and I feel like I've made more putts in that range than I did the rest of the season combined.

I think one of the biggest factors for success though is the grip. The Jumbomax feels so much better than some of the other, smaller or skinnier grips I had tried. The flat area locks against the arm so well and I'm not sure I'd be as successful with a different grip.

Tomorrow is a round in a course with pretty tricky greens so it will be a real test but I'm really looking forward to it.

Followed this thread closely and I think we should try a forum testing for AC members next week.

Maybe pick a handful of guys that want to try the Super Stroke Armlock and have them report back how that grip and style is working for them.

Stay tuned for signups.

Followed this thread closely and I think we should try a forum testing for AC members next week.

Maybe pick a handful of guys that want to try the Super Stroke Armlock and have them report back how that grip and style is working for them.

Stay tuned for signups.
FORUM TESTING!

Stay tuned for signups.

That would be a cool opportunity for some THPer's.

I'm still super early in to the experiment but I've been impressed with how much better my putting has been from 10 feet and under. My big issue was face control, in particular leaving the face open. That seems to be gone and if I have a miss now it's more of a left miss where I pull my shoulders through instead of a simple rock back and forth. Overall though I've seen a significant improvement.

There is a struggle though. Lag putting, which was a strength for me with a regular putter, has been tough to adjust to. Now that I'm feeling confident on shorter putts I need to spend some major time on the practice green working on it.

Stay tuned for signups.

I think guys will be pleasantly surprised if they really give it a chance. I don't see myself going back unless it gets banned. Really hope it doesnt.

If it would help me become a better and more consistent putter then of course I could.

Back