Could You Go Side Saddle?

Nope wouldn't have a clue. It is definitely not like rolling a bowling ball

Maybe I could get one of those happy Gilmore Odyssey hockey stick putters....

Sure, will I? not anytime soon.

Honestly, I think some physical limitations would keep me from any sort of consistency so it would be a hard no for me. Same goes for the Rick Sheils video that is more akin to shuffleboard

Not sure that I could go side-saddle, but I follow Randy Haag's blog and he is deadly with the technique. For those who don't know that name, Haag is a nationally ranked (and legendary) senior amateur player from CA.

Couldn't do it. It would require a lot for me to result to side saddling with my putter.

Sure, why not? Putting side saddle wouldn't be my first choice on stroking a ball, but I can do it. Actually I have tried it, back in the day.

I've even tried stroking the ball croquet style, from between my legs. I'm just not sure of the legality of this type of putting stroke. I think the anchor rule might interfere with it.

I don't know as that's the only reason, but, if Moe Norman and Bryson DeChambeau have shown us anything it's been that tradition doesn't necessarily equate to best ;)
Byrson tried this and abandoned it. So if he’s not willing to use it there must have been no measurable benefit for him.

And it’s a no for me.

nope. not a chance

Byrson tried this and abandoned it. So if he’s not willing to use it there must have been no measurable benefit for him.

And it’s a no for me.
He didn't abandon it because of a lack of benefit - the tour gave him an extremely hard time for it even though it is rule conforming and he figured out a way around it. They continue to give him **** and he eventually gave up on fighting them instead of giving up on the tech itself as stated. He has stated he truly loves it and that it is a better way. All of this being said, I am personally not a side-saddler myself.

A friend of mine has a cool company called Bomar Putting Co. that is DEFINITELY worth checking out though if you're interested in it.

No, I really dont think i could.

Lining up consistently would be an issue for me!

He didn't abandon it because of a lack of benefit - the tour gave him an extremely hard time for it even though it is rule conforming and he figured out a way around it, he gave up on fighting them instead of the tech itself. He has stated he truly loves it and that it is a better way. All of this being said, I am personally not a side-saddler myself.

A friend of mine has a cool company called Bomar Putting Co. that is DEFINITELY worth checking out though if you're interested in it.

This is correct.
And that first post is a Bomar putter.

This is correct.
And that first post is a Bomar putter.
They are super cool! And approachable/willing to talk to curious folks. I encourage anyone on this thread to send them a message on Instagram if you want to know more.

He didn't abandon it because of a lack of benefit - the tour gave him an extremely hard time for it even though it is rule conforming and he figured out a way around it. They continue to give him **** and he eventually gave up on fighting them instead of giving up on the tech itself as stated. He has stated he truly loves it and that it is a better way. All of this being said, I am personally not a side-saddler myself.

I know what happened and what he said at the time. Given what we know about his personality, if he thought it was the best way I think he’d continue pursuing it.

As for the stats, the 2017 season he attempted to use it he was 145 in strokes gained putting. The switch to arm lock has been much better and the tweaks he’s made along the way to head and shaft really made a big difference.

BDC SGP:
2018 - 32nd
2019 - 28th
2020 - 10th

Don’t hate, when it’s going that bad you’ll try anything. :LOL:

I was going to say that I didn’t recall you putting this way when we played?

@Hamfist shares my love of Imperial Stouts so it’s entirely possible you did putt that way though, but I THINK I would have noticed, lol.

I do remember @ntanygd760 expanding my vocabulary so I think I’d remember.

Good seeing you active on here!

I am not sure I could but if I tried it and started sinking more putts I don't see why not, its like changing up you swing on other clubs right.

For those who say yes or no, and never tried it, how can you be so sure? I could probably get the job done, it would just take some practice. Although, I wouldn't go that route unless it started to catch on and was proven to be a better method for some people. I don't know why they put that obnoxious music on that Instagram video, it makes it hard to watch. :poop:

Yep, doesn't bother me at all. It actually feels quite natural to me since it's very similar positioning to when I'm shooting the puck in hockey. I actually putt this way on shorter rolls where I'm just looking to tap the ball in.

I tested going side saddle during an entire round this year and had decent success but not quite as good as traditional stance, and since my putting was actually quite good this year, I didn't see any reason to continue on with that experiment. Maybe I'll look at playing this winter on my PuttOut mat.

As I mentioned in a previous post I played in a competitive event with an accomplished golfer (qualified for a few USGA events) who putted side saddle. Not as bad as it looks.

could I? sure.
would I? eff no

Back