Counterbalanced putter trend ... thoughts ?

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I've always had trouble with a smooth takeaway with my putter swing. I gravitate towards slightly heavier putters. I finally messed around with a few 38" counterbalanced models - really like the feel of them. I put some time on all the current offerings from Odyssey, Taylormade and Ping, and yesterday, traded in a bunch of clubs & bought the Ping Anser 2 Cadence - it really feels good. Haven't tried it yet on the course, so update to follow.

Just curious if anybody else has experience with these counterbalance putters & your impressions ?

I've tried them, I don't like them. I find them difficult to judge speed with. I know others who have used them and they absolutely love them. It's a personal thing, but just not my cup of tea.

I've gone back and forth between CB and standard over the years...

Right now I'm rolling what I'll call a hybrid model which is a very heavy head at over 500 grabs then a 15" counterbalanced Garsen grip at just over 100 grams.

Probably looking at 37-38" overall but haven't measured yet.

Played 2 different CB putters and lost all feel for putting. It was an amazing honeymoon period followed by up and down performance. When I was having a good day, I made a lot of putts. When I was off though, it was really ugly.

I switched to a Ping Anser 2 about a month ago and my putting is now becoming a strong point again

I finally found one I liked (Tank Cruiser #7 36"). Not ridiculously long, but I prefer to grip down a bit anyways, and the longer grip on this model just feels right for me.

Best putting I have ever done is with that putter, so I would say this one worked for me.

First one I rolled was #1w tank at 35". Until I grabbed a cure it was some of the best putting I have had.

I had one and liked it. It helped. But ultimately the smoothness of my stroke is more about me than the club. Maybe think of it like a driver head that can be adjusted - it helps but doesn't fix swing flaws.

I've played either the Daddy Long Legs or it's cousin, the Ghost Si for over a year now. I still have a little problem with lagging long putts. When I try to hit a putt hard, I tend to yip it. Putts 10 feet and in, though, I feel like I have an advantage with the counterbalanced putter. That being said, I'm experimenting now with a few non-counterbalanced putters.

I spent 5 hours today at Golfsmith in Indy. I had a new putter fitting to be sure I was using the correct style of putter and I putted with just about every Odyssey counter balanced and regular putter in the store and did not go with the counter balanced. Just could not get a feel for the weight and added length. I think they are a good thing for some, but not for everyone. The weight will make your stroke smoother if you have that issue I think.

As others in this thread, I have really liked it on most putts (helps smooth out my take away) but have struggled with distance control on longer putts.

I think this fall I might practice more with the X3 I have that isn't counterbalanced but has a pretty heavy head (feels that way when I roll it) in hopes of getting the best of both worlds so to speak.

I think the counter balanced putter feels great in the store.. Every time I go into Golf Galaxy I putt with one but I have a basement full of putters that felt great in the store only to let me down on the course..

Many years back I took Ping center shafted broomstick it was called "LIL" something [ I can't remember right now ] and cut it down to 32 inches and it transformed my putting...I'm always around the hole now with good distance control and have a lot of confidence in my putts...

My putter is heavy not quite as heavy as the counter balanced but it seems to be about the same idea except the heavier grip end...

I found another Ping LIL and purchased it in case something happened to the original and it is interchangeable I may buy a third...Ya I'm a bit paranoid about this putter...

For me it's a trade off between making shorter putts or hitting better lag putts. I haven't completely made up my mind on how I feel about them.

Initially I didn't care for them. But it's like anything else, eventually I find something that feels good. I have two now, and both can and will be switched in and out of the bag. Along with my standard weighted putters.

Counter Balancing gives me a shaky take away which I know is opposite of what it's designed to do. Must just be how I roll the ball, but Counter Balancing and me do not get along

I recently picked up a CB Scotty Newport and I love it. I usually agree with the above statement that CBs are tough to judge speed with but that one isn't. Its the smoothest putter I've rolled and a perfect fit for me.

I've been back and forth with a CB putter for the past 8 years or so. Currently I've settled on a slightly heavier head, 385 grams, with about 40 grams of counterweight on the grip end.

I enjoy a more sophisticated approach to counterbalancing putters.

First, I like the overall increase in weight of the club.

Second, instead of the weight at the top of the grip, I prefer a cb design that goes the length of the grip where the weight is 3 inches or so down the grip where your hands are located on the grip.

With the weight in the hands, I feel the clubhead without it getting heavy - 340-352g at 34.5 inches is fine at the club head with the CB in this position.

With too many systems, one see a lot of CB weight at the top, and a lot of headweight at the bottom -- the clubhead. It's evident that it works for a lot of golfers. But a too heavy club head feels numb to me, and I am uncomfortable with it.

For me the extra weight really quiets my hands down and smooths out my stroke. The new Cleveland TFI 2135 8.0 is a counterbalanced model. It has a sizeable grip that has the weight throughout the grip. One of the best feeling counterbalanced putters I have rolled. I really think Cleveland will struggle to keep that putter in stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

For me the extra weight really quiets my hands down and smooths out my stroke. The new Cleveland TFI 2135 8.0 is a counterbalanced model. It has a sizeable grip that has the weight throughout the grip. One of the best feeling counterbalanced putters I have rolled. I really think Cleveland will struggle to keep that putter in stock.

This is great to hear. I'm intend to go with that model because I like the shape of the head but have wished it came as a non-CB. This feedback has me more open/excited to go back to a CB.

This is great to hear. I'm intend to go with that model because I like the shape of the head but have wished it came as a non-CB. This feedback has me more open/excited to go back to a CB.
Well the 1.0 is a standard putter and while it's is not as thick in the back it is a very nice looking putter. Rolling either will have you leaving with the thought of why isnt every putter built with that sight aid

I tried one for a little while early this summer and I just could not get used to it. Putted terribly with it.

Like others have said I struggle with the speed of putts with counterbalance putters. I have a 35" and 38" and just can't get the right feel with either.

Back