Course Strategy: True Blue Edition

I played that hole pretty much how and where your have the lines.

Unfortunately I tin cupped it and was out of the hole. If you must go that route, take one extra club than you think you will need across the water.

I played that hole pretty much how and where your have the lines.

Unfortunately I tin cupped it and was out of the hole. If you must go that route, take one extra club than you think you will need across the water.
A 220 carry for me would be driver off the deck - I don't have an extra club to take! :LOL:

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
Played it probably 10 times. Went for it maybe 7 or 8.

Remember clearly that I only made it in two, twice. And that's with an asterisk because only one was on the green but the other cleared the water so, dammit... I MADE it.

It's a great hole because depending upon your leave off the tee, it just entices you to go for it.

...and I'm their patented amiable sucker.

There's a hole very similar to this one at the Primm Valley course.

I have always stayed on the fairway, not trying any long carry over the water.

A gir, and a two putt par would leave me quite happy heading for the next hole.

Unless I'm down in match play and I desperately need to win the hole, I'm going to hit 4 wood off the tee and a middle or short iron to 85ish yards so I have a full LW into the green.
That's definitely a good strategy for a sound ballstriker. For someone who has some length, but might be a little erratic directionally that layup shot isn't a super friendly 3rd shot. I have heard the greens are smallish and the water is still big time in play on the 3rd. This whole is a nightmare if your miss is a pull hook and much longer than it states for the fader. It's definitely an intriguing hole.

Played it probably 10 times. Went for it maybe 7 or 8.

Remember clearly that I only made it in two, twice. And that's with an asterisk because only one was on the green but the other cleared the water so, dammit... I MADE it.

It's a great hole because depending upon your leave off the tee, it just entices you to go for it.

...and I'm their patented amiable sucker.
We will play it once as a 2 man best ball and once as a 2 man scramble. The scramble round will definitely be a you hit it safe and I will go for it strategy if the tee shot presents that option.

I managed to get over in 2 during a practice round, but in competition I kept putting my tee shot through the fairway into those trees long/right. Lost this hole both times.

Couple thoughts on this hole from my memories. As a new golfer who had never played a course like this, I was demoralized after the first 3 holes. The sand hazards were eating me up. The par 3 right before this with the near-island green was a featured splash-down experience, 2 in a row. I tried to play this one safe. I aimed as far right as I could and ended up with a typical hook result. But right may have been as bad or worse.

Looking at it now, I would play aggressively off the tee. Tentative there is not a good mindset for me. Probably 3w or 3hy, but take a good line and swing away. And I would practice hitting full shots out of sand until my hands were bleeding. Recovery shot practice from trees would also be helpful. 👍

Tentative there is not a good mindset for me.
Confidence is so crucial in golf. The hard part for me is stepping up and being confident when the last several shots have given me no right to be.

Par 5s at TB are interesting in competition because (if memory serves) they are all stroke holes, if any pops are involved. Makes the lower capper feel like they NEED to go for it.

I've played it a few times. If conditions allow for it, I will be aggressive to myself the opportunity to have a shorter go for it in two. That strategy has both rewarded me and left me playing from the fairway of one on my second shot.

bay hill has a par 5 that reminds me of this, though there is more water to carry on your tee shot. john daly famously hit like 84 balls into the water trying to hit the green in 1.

with the right conditions, i might try to hit drive down the middle/left of the fairway, hoping to get about 270-280, then hit hybrid onto the green. but the smarter play would be fairway wood, then layup with 7i or 8i, and wedge onto the green.

There's a hole very similar to this one at the Primm Valley course.

I have always stayed on the fairway, not trying any long carry over the water.

A gir, and a two putt par would leave me quite happy heading for the next hole.
#2 on the Lakes course - par 5, 508 yards. I've always stayed on the fairway also, no chance I'm taking that carry on.

222 and stopping is not in my bag. So a hybrid out and a wedge in.

Well, I recall one of the days I played my second or third shot with my shoes and socks off, standing in the water.

I did not win that hole.

~Rock

How I would want to play it in blue, how it would most likely happen in Red.. lol..

1614352829509.png

May I suggest next time use both hands to count instead of just one..... I’m sure you lost your starting place while adding 😜
I'll take my shoes off next time ;)

Pretty generous drop there, after the second water ball. lol.

haha. Yeah, I saw that... haha. at that point you just got to keep things moving..

Confidence is so crucial in golf. The hard part for me is stepping up and being confident when the last several shots have given me no right to be.

BTW, thanks for this how would you play the hole. Brings back fun, fun, fun memories! I can't express enough how much I would love to play this course again and ideally in a THP competitive experience. It is as good as it gets. :love:

Back