Cuater by TravisMathew: The Legend and The Moneymaker

as part of the gifts bestowed to the participants in the 2019 grandaddy with callaway golf, i received a pair of cuater “the legend” golf shoes in white.

View attachment 8918079

the shoes look so clean. there is classic design but with a modern feel. everything about the shoe screams quality.

we were treated to a product overview. the presentation discussed cuater’s focus on comfort, stability, durability and waterproofing. so what better time to test these claims than a round of golf in cold rainy conditions?!

wednesday at the grandaddy we played in such conditions. a steady drizzle that sometimes freshened to a steady rain (never quite a downpour with puddles though). i was wearing balega no show socks, and pants.

during the round, i never once slipped. and my foot felt extremely stable in the shoe. i found the fit to be a bit looser than some other shoes, though that could be attributable the extreme comfort designed into the shoe.

when i took the shoes off, i had three observations:

1- feet are bone dry. waterproofing is legit.

2- shoes stayed pretty clean given conditions. not completely unscathed, but for a white shoe it was impressive. i will try to snag another pic before i clean them up.

3- the tongue and upper construction was waterproofed very well. i wonder whether the construction of the tongue is a bit more firm and sturdy to achieve this, because the edge fell above my no show sock line and rubbed a pretty good bit of skin off. that said, i do have pretty sensitive skin, because @j_sizzle9 wore the same type of socks and had no irritation.

my feeling is that the shoes are worthy of the price tag. extremely high quality. good fit and comfort as advertised. waterproofing was better than any shoe i’ve tried, which is huge for my area of the country.

That's one of the best looking pair of shoes in the market IMO. I really wish they weren't at that price point though. Something sub $200 would be so much easier to swallow.

I received the Moneymaker for my shoes. I wore them on day two and a couple observations:
Comfort, I was very pleased in how comfortable they where. The cushioning is great, even though we where carting around the course I did a good bit of walking also and my feet felt great after finishing the round. I didn't notice any "rub spots" from wearing them the first time.
Traction, this is a spikeless shoe and provides plenty of traction. I had one shot from a sever slope and thought I would slip into the bunker but the small nubs held the ground just fine.
I will get another round in today and will report back with more thoughts.

Are the MoneyMakers designed to be waterproof?

During the presentation did they indicate if they’d have a casual design in leather coming in the future?

My favorite shoe is from another OEM who I’ve been quite loyal to. But my favorite model isn’t made any longer. The MoneyMaker is stylistically similar. I like the darkest and lightest options because the upper(?) is closest in color to the rest of the shoe...don’t care for the two tone effect in the blue and dark grey. And $159 is a much more palatable price point. I am also giving some thought to TM’s Daily shoe. I’m a big fan of TM and like where they hone with these shoe options.

Another thing I like about these shoes is that the logo / branding is modest. With several models - my regular OEM included - you are a walking bilboard for the company. Here, the shoe is allowed to be a shoe, which is refreshing.

Appreciate the reviews from GD participants. Sizing feedback is perfect. Legend appeals to my eyes, and Moneymaker sounds cozy to my feet. Price point is tough. But the appeal will keep me looking at these. I also like saying the brand name out loud. Everything about my golf game is on track to change, feet up. Maybe room to try cuater. ?

Love the looks of the Classic and could easily add a white pair if they fit.

Are the MoneyMakers designed to be waterproof?

During the presentation did they indicate if they’d have a casual design in leather coming in the future?

yes. they have a treatment to assist with this. and most of the guys came away very impressed with the waterproofing and ability to stay clean.

based on the website, no widths?

Loving the feedback from the GD guys......waterproofing sounds legit......hard ponder but would need a lower price point to pull the trigger.....or just more time lol

Loving the feedback from the GD guys......waterproofing sounds legit......hard ponder but would need a lower price point to pull the trigger.....or just more time lol

it’s out of my price range too. but now that i have them i wouldn’t talk someone out of it. they’re really solid, highest quality shoe i’ve ever owned.

I'm hoping Santa delivers a pair of Moneymakers in Blue under my tree!

They look awesome.
4mr216-4hmi-4_2_1.jpg
4mr216-4hmi-7_1.jpg

That spike pattern looks perfect, I love a spineless model with a bit more aggressive pattern on the sole.

I'm hoping Santa delivers a pair of Moneymakers in Blue under my tree!

They look awesome.
4mr216-4hmi-4_2_1.jpg
4mr216-4hmi-7_1.jpg

That spike pattern looks perfect, I love a spineless model with a bit more aggressive pattern on the sole.
The grip on these is REALLY good. I think I need Navy.

I genuinely do not know. I will check for you.

They will be online at Budget in the Spring. They are direct and B&M only (just a few stores) until then.

I got mine cleaned up this morning and after the 3 rounds in them they cleaned up quite well. Took a bit of warm soapy water and a toothbrush and they cleaned up good. Little bit more work than I care to do to keep a pair of shoes clean but they are worth it considering the comfort level while playing.

they’re really solid, highest quality shoe i’ve ever owned.

How does the comfort stack up against others you've had?

Another thing I like about these shoes is that the logo / branding is modest. With several models - my regular OEM included - you are a walking bilboard for the company. Here, the shoe is allowed to be a shoe, which is refreshing.

This is a great observation and it was a deliberate decision on their part. They emphasized that they wanted the branding to be minimal so as not to impact the overall look of the shoe.

fantastic comfort, other than needing to break in the hardness of the tongue. i’ve owned ecco, puma, adidas, ua, footjoy, blah blah blah. these are very comfortable and stable. one of the things i always look for in a golf shoe is the support in the toe box. these held up perfectly, no pain at all in the toes of my trailing foot.

I found the comfort out of the box to be the best for any golf shoe I have ever worn.

I got the Moneymaker in light gray and I was really impressed. Here are some initial thoughts:

1. There was nothing unusual about sizing. I usually wear a 10.5 and 10.5 was perfect.

2. These are very comfortable, right out of the box. I have really narrow feet and can tend to get blisters, especially with shoes that are not broken in. I didn't have any problems with anything like that.

3. The traction is great. The spikeless tread is aggressive and it seems to work. Our round on Wed. was really wet. To the point that I figured I would probably really regret not wearing spikes. But I didn't slip even a little bit.

4. The waterproofing works. I wore these both days at the Grandaddy. The Wednesday round had a pretty steady rain for about the first 14 holes and my feet stayed dry. After a day like that, I thought the shoes might need some time to really dry out, but mine were good to go the next morning and they seemed as good as new when I wore them again on Thursday.

Really like the look of the Moneymaker, but they are at the top of what I would spend. Based on the feedback so far though it appears as though they are worth it. Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

Back