Cupping? Has Anyone Tried It?

golfinnut

Way too close to JohnSInVA!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
So I ran across this technique at my Acupuncturist & was considering trying it out & seeing if it helps with back pain.

I wanted to see if any THP'ers had tried it out before & what were your thoughts. I've seen some athletes that have used it as well.

Amazon has your very own cupping set you can use at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Cupping-Prof...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

cuppingset.jpg
  • The suction pressure of cupping set provided by vacuum cupping set can loosen muscles, encourage blood flow, and sedate the nervous system.
  • Cupping therapy sets are used to relieve back, neck and leg pains, stiff muscles,relieve anxiety, fatigue, migrane, rheumatism and even cellulite.
  • Professional cupping set is for cupping thereapy that is an ancient Chinese and Egyptian method of massage and it is the best deep tissue massage available.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
my wife has had it done and said it feels great. hard pass for me.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
golfinnut;n8892464 said:
So I ran across this technique at my Acupuncturist & was considering trying it out & seeing if it helps with back pain.

I wanted to see if any THP'ers had tried it out before & what were your thoughts. I've seen some athletes that have used it as well.

Amazon has your very own cupping set you can use at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Cupping-Prof...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• The suction pressure of cupping set provided by vacuum cupping set can loosen muscles, encourage blood flow, and sedate the nervous system.
  • Cupping therapy sets are used to relieve back, neck and leg pains, stiff muscles,relieve anxiety, fatigue, migrane, rheumatism and even cellulite.
  • Professional cupping set is for cupping thereapy that is an ancient Chinese and Egyptian method of massage and it is the best deep tissue massage available.
No, but it intrigues me. The bruising after is gross, but who cares if it takes care of the pain.

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Only seen it done on athletes and the bruising is enough for me to say Hard Pass.

Nappy

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
PBR
I know people who've done it and swear by it. I might be willing to try it - off to Amazon I go...

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I will just stick with the massage therapist and chiropractor.

bmongi1

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know a couple people that tried it and thought it was amazing. I have no personal experience but it's interesting.

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
Cupping is a farcical pseudoscience that started out as a form of bloodletting. The glass cup was put on the skin, incense was then burned on the cup to create the heat and vacuum.
Then the "technician" would pull the cup off and lance the skin to let the blood out. That is called "wet cupping".

"Dry cupping" is the same scam but without getting cut and bloodletting.
Just my opinion, but I think both are complete waste of time and money.

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Drumdog;n8892530 said:
Cupping is a farcical pseudoscience that started out as a form of bloodletting. The glass cup was put on the skin, incense was then burned on the cup to create the heat and vacuum.
Then the "technician" would pull the cup off and lance the skin to let the blood out. That is called "wet cupping".

"Dry cupping" is the same scam but without getting cut and bloodletting.
Just my opinion, but I think both are complete waste of time and money.
basically this is how I feel about it with me being in the sports medicine profession haha. I can see some type of benefit, but at the end of the day, i do not feel it is highly beneficial for healing/feeling good. Now if you do it and you think it works? by all means have at it.

I'm more into active release therapy or even dry needling techniques for a lot of muscle injuries/pain.

etakmit

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My wife is a massage therapist and she's had it done by others to see what it was like and something she wanted to learn/offer in her private practice. She chose not to.

Nicegy525

Reaction score
Handicap
I dont subscribe to most alternative medicine techniques. Massage therapy and chiropractic care can help with pain but physical therapy to strengthen underused muscles and increase flexibility will address most of the root problems.

If cupping has any medical benefit it might be the increased blood flow to the cupped area. increased blood flow brings increased nutrients to the area. but thats just my layman perspective. I am by no means an expert.

golfinnut

Way too close to JohnSInVA!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful

greekelite

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As a kid whenever I got sick my grandparents would do cupping (basically a shot glass and take a lighter to the back), in their village thinking it would draw out the toxins

For sports purposes, no but I definitely would

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
They just showed Derek Carr warming up and throwing some passes and he has a cut off shirt on and you can clearly see he had cupping done on his throwing shoulder. He has the giant cup marks/welts.

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Had it done about 2 months ago on my back, was Ok but never knew about bruising until my wife noticed, the bruising was pretty brutal.

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had it done once. I went in for a deep tissue massage and she did cupping. I didn't notice any benefit. Had I known it was the plan, I'd have passed on it.

sposey013168

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been getting it done once a week and it has worked great for me.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.9
I think I'll stick to my Theragun.

Chef23

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My son has had it done by the trainer at his college. He said it helps some but it certainly hasn’t healed him.

sposey013168

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My son has had it done by the trainer at his college. He said it helps some but it certainly hasn’t healed him.
Massage or massage guns do not heal you either. They are all reliefs. Cupping has helped with my inflammation in my scapulas.

MWard

My Name Is Fritters
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've had it done at a chiro appointment. I didn't notice a difference in pain relief. TENS unit on the other hand :love:

EnglishTurn

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Dry needling is 1000000x better! I've had back and shoulder problems for 15 years. Tried everything out there for pain relief.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in