Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Took my shaft out to the range and holy Lord that thing performed. It's a range I haven't been to in years so I'm not sure of the distances but they just had that "WOW" factor tonight. They were launching long and high. Mostly high, penetrating draws with a few high push fades (that still looked like they'd be in play during a round) that didn't hurt my feelings at all. The person in the stall next to me said they'd like to make the same sound at impact as I do. I told them to get themselves a Project X shaft fool! Actually I did tell them the whole story and made sure they saw the "handcrafted for.....". Don you might be noticing that Project X is owning the Hacienda Heights market. You're welcome. ;-)

This shaft is here for the long haul fellas. If they do this event again next year do your utmost to be involved. But not at my expense. Now I wanna roll my own 3 wood shaft.

#HandCraftedExperience Shaft Pictures- Grip End

Wow, I really slacked off this week. Work just got crazy busy. Anyways, here are some pictures from the mid section part of my custom made shaft from the #HandCraftedExperience. In these pictures, I just love how the gold looks in the sun. The gold "X" on "Project X" is one of my favorite parts on the shaft, it just absolutely pops in the sun! The "Project X" is on the side of shaft facing up, while the "Created on 8-21-15 (THP logo)" in on the side facing down. Additionally, I just think it's so awesome seeing my name on a custom golf shaft.

Mid section of shaft pictures:

(Side note: that was water under the word "on," nothing to do with the paint)

* Up next, tip section of shaft. Coming soon...

How did I just now see this thread? I feel like I'm late to the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the range today and spent a lot of time with my driver. Wasn't finding the center of the face a lot today but one thing I was liking was the dispersion. Hit a couple that I thought were going to go way further right than it actually did. I really liked how even when I was finding the heel it didn't have a harsh feel and still felt pretty stable in my hands. Also noticed a little higher launch than I typically see, I would classify it as a mid-high flight. Will be getting out on the course Monday for 18, will give an update on how it goes.

Played a twilight round last night with the raw shaft and got in 13 holes before the sun went down. My first tee ball was no warm up right from work so I sliced it right but found it and laid up. Proceeded to hit every fairway from there on out and had a ton of confidence in every driver hole. I seeing just a perfect mid high trajectory when I connect and it just releases so well and it feels so smooth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Will be playing 2 rounds this coming week and hopefully a range session with the raw shaft in Virginia. Will report in! Been loving my results with this bad boy so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#HandCraftedExperience Shaft Pictures- Grip End

#HandCraftedExperience Shaft Pictures- Mid Section

Here are pictures of the tip end of my custom made shaft from the #HandCraftedExperience. I really liked how the Project X shafts from the Grandaddy had the different color specs written on the shaft so I decided to add that to my custom shaft. I went with black for the specs color and really like how it came out.

Specs:
64 grams
6.0 flex
3.9* torque
100% Awesome!

Tip Section Pictures:

* Up next, full shaft pictures. Coming soon...

So today I got out for 18 on my home course and all I can say is, WOW! I absolutely love this golf shaft with the the BB 815. I had one of the best driving days of my life. It was extremely windy, 20-25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph and the only club that wasn't affected by the wind was my driver. Here's a hole by hole breakdown. I didn't warm-up prior to to round.

Hole #1: Strong right to left wind, took it down the right side and wound up in a what I would consider average distance for me on the right side of the fairway. Ball had a mid ball flight.

Hole #2: Strong left to right wind. Hit it down the left side expecting the wind to take it but nope. Ball went dead straight down the left side of the fairway. In a spot I would consider a little short of average for me. Dogleg right so I had a little longer approach going down the left.

Hole #3: Playing right into the wind. Hit a mid ball flight bullet with a gentle fade that started down the left side and wound up in the middle of the fairway. I was in a spot I would consider average but since this was into about a 25 mph wind I would say it was a very good shot.

Hole #4: Another hole playing dead into the wind. I would say this is always the windiest hole on the course and today was no different. It was probably about 30-35 mph wind into our face. I absolutely crushed this ball down the left side of the fairway with a mid ball flight that wound up in a spot that was one of my longest ever on this hole! Probably one of the best struck drives of the entire year for me.

Hole #6: I never hit driver on this hole. It's so tight and punishing on both sides. Plus it just doesn't feel comfortable on the tee box with a driver. I decided why not and hit my worst drive of the day. Pushed it a little that would of been fine on any other hole. Unfortunately this is a turtle back fairway and the ball kicked into the woods. Found the ball but couldn't play it so had to take a penalty. Ball had a mid-high ball flight. Reminded me why I don't hit driver on this hole.

Hole #8: Hit a mid-low push that wasn't that well struck and wound up in the right rough. Hit slightly behind he ball which I think caused the face to open and definitely caused the distance loss. Had an unobstructed view though and wasn't a big deal. Was still able to knock it on and make par.

Hole #9: Strong wind (around 25 mph) at our backs. I absolutely crushed this ball and landed in an area 270 yards out then hit a rock and took off another 90 yards straight down the fairway. End result; 364 yard drive right in the middle of the fairway. Gotta love a wind at your back and a perfectly placed rock on a down slope, haha.

Hole #10: Absolutely crushed this ball with a mid-high trajectory down the left side. Had the wind at my back again and took full advantage. Probably one of the top 3 longest drives I've ever had on this hole in my life.

Hole #11: Cross wind going from right to left. Hit a perfect mid ball flight bomb down the left side of the fairway. Again, one of the top 3 drives I've ever had in my life on this hole.

Hole #14: Wind finally died down to about 10-15 mph so wind wasn't as much of a factor. Had the wind at my back and hit the furthest drive I've ever hit on this hole. Crushed a mid-high drive down the left side. Had only a wedge in on the #2 handicapped hole.

Hole #15: Another mid-high bomb down the left side of the fairway. Again, as far as I've ever been on this hole.

Hole #16: Crushed this ball into the wind and carried a bunker 240 yards out. Wound up on the left side of the fairway and was what I would consider an excellent drive for me on this hole.

Hole #17: Again into the wind. Hit a great mid flight drive with a little fade that started down the center and wound up on the right side of the fairway. Again, landed in an area that was very far out for me.

Overall: 11 of 13 fairway hit and once I got warmed up I was absolutely bombing the ball. One of my playing partners asked if I played in college. I never felt so comfortable with the driver in my hands and a huge reason why is because of this amazing custom golf shaft. It is absolutely perfect for me and couldn't be happier. I just want to hit driver on every hole because I love everything about it. I haven't had this shaft for a month yet and I'm seeing areas of the course I never saw with prior to putting this custom shaft in the 815 head. I didn't think it was possible for the 815 to be any better but this shaft has done it. It feels great, performs perfectly and looks awesome!!! I'm getting out again tomorrow for 18 but I can't tell you how happy I am with this shaft. Project X rocks!!!

Nice done STC. I'm so anxious to get back and play after my lesson. #BeastMode

Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Nice write up Tim.
I haven't played for more than a week but I have a few rounds scheduled before the course closes Monday 9/21. Will write up thoughts this week.

Nice done STC. I'm so anxious to get back and play after my lesson. #BeastMode

Nice write up Tim.
I haven't played for more than a week but I have a few rounds scheduled before the course closes Monday 9/21. Will write up thoughts this week.

I'm getting a lot of rounds in this month because school is closed for the Jewish holidays. It's so much easier to play in the middle of the week. I feel like I always have things to do on the weekends and the courses are always way more packed. But going out on a Monday or Tuesday in September is great. I'll have a write up on my round tomorrow.

Got out for 18 on my home course again today. Not as good as yesterday but still solid. I hit my driver 12 times today. Of my 12 drives...
- 8 I was happy with (on fairway or just off)
- 1 I was OK with (hit behind the ball but went dead straight, cost me about 30 yards)
- 3 bad ones (2 big push fades; 1 lost and the other found but in woods, and 1 nasty pull hook that was at least in the next fairway)

Overall; hit 7 of 12 fairways which is still solid for me. I was hitting the ball solidly all round and was seeing good distance. I do really love this golf shaft paired with the BB 815. I'm going to look at other drivers this offseason (GBB and M1 are both intriguing) but it's gonna be tough to knock out this combo. Regardless of what driver I'm playing next year I'm 100% sure this shaft will be in it.

Played 18 today.
Hit Driver more than I usually do.
Hole 1 - straight, mid-high flight (which was not good, as the hole was into the wind). Fairway.
Hole 2 - touch of a cut, left rough (I expected more cut).
Hole 4 - I lost 3 drives right on the 4th tee box.
Hole 5 - High, weak slice. Lucky to stay in play.
Hole 7 - High, weak slice. Lost ball.
Hole 10 - Mid flight. Long and straight, no movement whatsoever, led to my first GIR with PW in hand (hole played 395 yds).
Hole 11 - Mid flight, a little push.
Hole 13 - Dead center cut, mid-high flight, left me 180 out (445 yd par 4).
Hole 14 - Mid high slight cut, caught in the wind, right fairway. Shorter than usual, but still 250 yd drive (50 yd shot on 300 yd par 4).
Hole 15 - Thinned off the tee, right rough, left me 170 yd on a 370 yd hole.
Hole 18 - Mid high fade, right rough, 150 yd out on a 415 yd hole.

Overall, other than the 4th hole, not a bad driver outing. Will again say that dispersion is pretty tight with this shaft, I like the flight most of the time, and my color scheme is awesome!

Looks like I'm gonna be doing a new set of reviews

49BC213A-C76B-4166-8974-742EE4249241_zpswm818frc.jpg

I cannot wait to see the rest.

I cannot wait to see the rest.

Samsies :) I'm going to be the envy of all my coworkers at our company golf outing next month :bananadance:

Samsies :) I'm going to be the envy of all my coworkers at our company golf outing next month :bananadance:

I believe Don said yours will be ready sometime around March hehe

Looks like I'm gonna be doing a new set of reviews

You're going to be a beast with that DBD Paul. I've been practicing and I think I'm about to the point I can hit my ball past your drive...with my second shot....with my 3 wood.

I'm hoping that I'll have mine in hand shortly! Been out of town a week, fingers crossed a package from Project X arrived while I was gone!

I love the looks of that shaft.... So awesome!

So I got my shaft put onto the FlyZ head.
First impression - it is a damn good looking club - but honestly, because the colors are a little dark, the pics do not do this shaft justice. The metallic blue and candy green (both have metallic sheen to them) candy cane style set up looks awesome! The white tip really makes the black head stand out.
The ProjectX logo, hand crafted logo, and THP logo are up by the grip -
Colors and style - I wanted to represent Tulane University, where I earned my graduate degrees. Blue and green are the official colors, but the olive green and light-ish blue that are the "official" colors I think are pretty vanilla and I wanted the colors to pop!
Barber pole - I figured that there are not very many shafts that will have this design. O'Neil recommended putting one of the colors as a base, then striping the other color with a fade out, rather than a sharp edge. We tried a few things, it looked great!!
White tip - I initially wanted the candy cane to be on a white background, never really thought about changing the tip when we changed the base color to blue. With the date of the event in black at the tip, it really looks nice.
I am very pleased with how it turned out - I will have this club with me in Orlando, at the Bridgestone Championship. If anyone wants to see it in person, or take a few swings, no problem at all. Unless you break the shaft, then we will have discussions!!!

Had the shaft for my round today. I played with three other guys, one of which (Club Champ, 1-2 hcp player) I had played a number of rounds with over the spring.
He says to me on the first tee "What is that new club you got there? I don't recognize the shaft."
I show him and the other guys, they are all taken aback when I tell them how I got it!
While I am still pretty weak with my driver, I hit some long shots that ended up just in the rough today - 4 were less than 1 yd off the fairway.
#HandCraftedMeansBusiness

Had the shaft for my round today. I played with three other guys, one of which (Club Champ, 1-2 hcp player) I had played a number of rounds with over the spring.
He says to me on the first tee "What is that new club you got there? I don't recognize the shaft."
I show him and the other guys, they are all taken aback when I tell them how I got it!
While I am still pretty weak with my driver, I hit some long shots that ended up just in the rough today - 4 were less than 1 yd off the fairway.
#HandCraftedMeansBusiness
Reading these kind of posts is awesome. I can't wait un sheath this bad boy from my golf bag and pummel drives down the middle with it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hit my raw Handcrafted really well yesterday, hitting 8 fairways with an average drive probably around 250. Today was a little more inconsistent, only 5 fairways with a couple wild swings, but overall the results not too bad. The feel at impact is just so damn nice, and if I make even a decent swing I can count on seeing it rocket right down the middle.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Had my best driving day so far with the raw unfinished shaft. Hit 8 of 12 fairways and 2 of the misses were just off. Saw some real good distance today and a very predictable mid height draw on every shot. Overcooked the draw a couple of times to near hook level. But liking that my miss is just one way. Going to play again tomorrow.

Back