Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

I received my shaft a while ago. Why is this thread still open?

You're going to be a beast with that DBD Paul. I've been practicing and I think I'm about to the point I can hit my ball past your drive...with my second shot....with my 3 wood.

You guys are too much! There were many times you guys hit it just as far as me. However every time I tell my friends about the trip I add another 20 yards to my drives. Don't any of you contradict me in front of them!

I have been looking at that 816 and I really don't like how it looks. I'm thinking I wasted $400 and some change and I haven't even hit it yet.

Last edited:
You guys are too much! There were many times you guys hit it just as far as me. Every time I tell my friends about the trip I add another 20 yards to my drives.

I have been looking at that 816 and I really don't like how it looks. I'm thinking I wasted $400 and some change and I haven't even hit it yet.

Have patience with it. You'll get it dialed in and then we're all screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have patience with it. You'll get it dialed in and then we're all screwed.

It's the matte grey finish I'm having a hard time with. I'm a classy kind of gal who likes glossy driver heads.

It's the matte grey finish I'm having a hard time with. I'm a classy kind of gal who likes glossy driver heads.
I'm with you there, I definitely prefer a gloss. Do they offer the DBD 816 in U Design? (Apologies if I just opened Pandora's box lol)

On the topic of shafts, I think my shaft paint should be happening this week! I can hardly contain myself! :D

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm with you there, I definitely prefer a gloss. Do they offer the DBD 816 in U Design? (Apologies if I just opened Pandora's box lol)

On the topic of shafts, I think my shaft paint should be happening this week! I can hardly contain myself! :D

Yes they do. I've done like 3 different creations on the website.

Back to back great driving rounds with the raw unfinished shaft. Hit 10 of 14 Fairways using it today. Really fantastic ball flight. Medium height and penetrating. A slight adjustment in my stance is paying big dividends. Had too much weight on my toes at address and through the swing. Getting weight more centered in the middle of my feet is producing so much better contact. When I'm swinging well the shaft is just money. It's also forgiving enough for me to get away with things when my swing isn't good.

Hoping the painted shaft arrives soon. Ready to show it off!

And I am ready to see it.

#HandCraftedExperience Shaft Pictures- Grip End

#HandCraftedExperience Shaft Pictures- Mid Section

#HandCraftedExperience- Tip End

Here's some pictures of my entire custom made shaft from the #HandCraftedExperience! Every time I play with this I just can't get over how amazing it looks. Add on to how much I love the way it looks, it's been performing so well for me! Thank you, thank you, thank you THP and Project X for this entire experience. I will definitely be playing this shaft in whatever driver head I'm gaming for a long time.

I've also decided what I'm going to do with the raw shaft. I'm going to use the the raw shaft as a demo shaft for me by putting different companies adapters on it so whenever I compare 2 drivers (for example m1 vs GBB, which I plan on doing this off-season) I'll be able to demo both of them with this shaft.

Entire Shaft Pictures:

It looks so good Stan/Tim I like you're idea to use the raw shaft when testing other heads. Great way to compare data for sure.

I thought of doing the same thing. It'd be nice if down the road they could standardize the adapter. The callaway/titleist approach is real nice and I've heard good things about the Nike one.

The TM one is atrocious by today's standards.

I thought of doing the same thing. It'd be nice if down the road they could standardize the adapter. The callaway/titleist approach is real nice and I've heard good things about the Nike one.

The TM one is atrocious by today's standards.

Stone cold truth on the TM. Cobra's and Wilson's have some room for improvement as well IMO

Stone cold truth on the TM. Cobra's and Wilson's have some room for improvement as well IMO

Yeah I'm just not that familiar with them.

It'd just make testing shafts across brands a whole lot nicer. They're common enough now that I think they could all get on the same page. Unless there's something truly revolutionary, the best ones all let you adjust loft and lie independently now. So just standardized it and focus your R&D on the head.

Heck it'd probably make me demo more heads if I have my preferred shaft and could put it in all the heads for sell. The. I could get true apples to apples comparisons when driver shopping.

There is that dry sense of humor we all experienced in SD!
Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I really want everyone to see my shaft in the sunlight, but I have not gotten a good photo of the shaft. My camera is my phone. Pictures really do not do the shaft justice.
Maybe JB can take better pics in Orlando.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I really want everyone to see my shaft in the sunlight, but I have not gotten a good photo of the shaft. My camera is my phone. Pictures really do not do the shaft justice.
Maybe JB can take better pics in Orlando.

Come play the tunica outing October 16/17 so I can see it in person :)

With news that my shaft is going to ship soon I thought I'd take a moment to discuss my design thoughts and inspiration. I was a little intimidated at first at the thought of where to go with my shaft design. I mean, how often will I have the chance to design something so special and personal. ....the answer is never again. ....so I didn't want to screw it up. I also have zero artistic talent; my stick figures are officially disfigured.

So, knowing that this was a once in a lifetime chance I steered my thoughts towards what is dearest to me; my two kids. They mean the world to me. After golf, my next biggest passion is college football. My son attends Georgia Tech and I've been a life long fan of that program. My daughter attends Arizona State, so i follow that program now also. They grew up on college football and go to all their schools home games.

So my initial idea was to use a white base for the shaft since it's a common color between GT and ASU. After that, on either end of the shaft I thought about rings or bands with the other two colors of each school: Gold and Navy for GT, Maroon and Gold for ASU. Then adding in each kids name on one of the bands for their school.

I'd sent these basic thoughts to O'Neil before the event and when we arrived he already had a mock up ready to view. I thought it was nearly perfect! The only addition I made was to add each schools initials on the band after the appropriate kids name. I also borrowed a bit from what Awkward and Galen did and added the Handcrafted logo and my name.

I was about to call it done when Ddec came in updating the live thread and someone asked (maybe T0AD) if I had incorporated the Marine Corps logo anywhere. O'Neal had a light bulb moment and said that would be really cool. He pulled a logo up and added several subdued Eagle Globe and Anchor to the field between the school bands. I was floored....looked incredible.

We then went out to see Arturo in the paint area where O'Neil had him show us how "pearling" would look on the shaft and I loved that too. The gold pearling is going to really make this shaft shine.

So there it is! Looking forward to posting in hand pics very soon!

Getting out for 18 the next 3 days! Will have updates after each round.

Getting out for 18 the next 3 days! Will have updates after each round.
Jealousy complete. You teachers...hahaha

Can't wait to hear your report!

So got out for 18 today at my home course. Really didn't have a very good swing today but I'd say out of all my clubs my driver was the best performer. My iron play was a joke (3 out of 18 GIR was fewest all year). What made it worse was that a lot of those misses were from the fairway...

Hole #1: Mid-low bullet that started down the center and faded a little down the right side of the fairway. Solid distance in an area I typically am in.

Hole #2: Tried to fade it around the dogleg and overcooked it a little. Was in the rough on the right but past the trees and had an unobstructed approach.

Hole #3: Bombed my drive with a nice mid-high ball flight. Started down the right and faded gently towards the middle. Was in an area that I consider very long.

Hole #4: As good of a drive as I've hit all year. Crushed one with a mid-high ball flight down the left side of the fairway. Was in an area I don't recall ever being in.

Hole #8: Might be the best drive I've ever hit on this hole. Crushed one with a mid-high ball flight down the left side of the fairway. Left me with a wedge into the green.

Hole #9: Ugh, there's always one ugly one. Massive push-fade. There's a hazard about 70-80 yards on the right and to my knowledge it's the first time I've ever lost one in this hazard (been playing here for 20 years). Just an absolute pathetic, awful, terrible, ugly swing. Nothing to do with the club, everything to do with an embarrassingly horrible swing.

Hole #10: Crushed a mid ball flight drive down the right side of the fairway. This hole has 2 very different tee boxes. Today the white tee box was on the same box as the blues (makes the hole about 40 yards longer, it's a par 5). They do this every now and then and this was the furthest drive I've ever hit from this tee box. Was still able to go at the green with a 4 hybrid. This was definitely a great drive for me as there have been times I couldn't reach with a 4 wood playing from this tee box.

Hole #11: Another huge drive with a mid-high ball flight down the left side of the fairway. Very long and in a spot that I consider to be very long even though it was into the wind.

Hole #14: Ripped a drive down the left side of the fairway. Again in a spot that is an excellent drive for me.

Hole #15: Hit a mid ball flight drive that started down the center and faded gently to the right. Landed on the fairway with about 10 yards to spare. Unfortunately for as long as I've played this course this area has never grown well and it's like cement. Kicked hard right (which it always does) and wound up about 15 yards into the rough just under the tree line (which is where it always stops). Any other hole this is on the fairway or just off. However, I know better and got to get the ball more left. Not a bad drive in the air but the results weren't good.

Hole #16: Crushed a ball down the left side. Unfortunately I caught it so well that it wound up in a fairway bunker that comes out into the fairway. Never been in this bunker before. Great shot, terrible results.

Hole #17: Didn't quite get it all and hit a mid-high fade down the right side of the fairway. Was also playing into the wind and was a little shorter than usual but still fine.

Overall: 8/12 fairways hit, however 2 of those 4 misses were really solid swings that I would take any day of the week (just weren't good for those holes). I notice I am hitting the ball a little higher. I classify it as mid-high but in reality it probably is a mid ball flight as I used to hit a relatively low ball with my driver. I just have so much confidence with this shaft in the BB 815. It just seems like this shaft is so perfect for me. Just effortless distance and accuracy. I feel as comfortable with my driver as any other club in my bag right now which is crazy for me. Really happy with everything about this shaft. Will be getting out again tomorrow at a higher end course I play about twice a year. Will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

Got out for 18 at a course I play about twice a year. Swing hasn't been there with any club this week. Hit my driver OK. 6/13 fairways. Of the 7 missed; 1 was chunked and barely reached the forward tees (1st shot of the day), one was a massive push OB, one was a massive push into another fairway, the other 4 weren't bad misses (in rough but unobstructed approach). Honestly, I'm having a tough time hitting my wedges straight so to hit 6/13 fairways with the driver was good compared to some of my other clubs. I really love the trajectory I get with this shaft on well struck shots. It's a little higher than I used to see and it's definitely giving me extra yards. Getting out again tomorrow for my 3rd round of 18 in 3 days. Back to the home course.

Okay so I've taken the 816 with the completed shaft and the 815 out with the blank and after two side by side range sessions it is no contest for the 815. I am hitting the 816 low and left and the 815 I am bombing. The fence is 235 yards and I'm clearing it with the 815 one after the other while the 816 hasn't been hit high enough to get close. I've made the adjustments. I hit low on the face so I have the gravity core in the heel chamber down. The 815 I was fitted core up. So that was a waste of $475.

Now the shafts still feel incredible. I LOVE the way the unfinished matte prototype looks with the glossy 815 head. The launch has never looked better and I really feel like I'm carrying the ball longer than ever. My homie noticed the ball also runs like hell when it hits the ground and has bought an 815 DBD and a Project X Hand Crafted. Your welcome Don! ;-)

Got the shaft and the FlyZ out to the range for a session prior to the Bridgestone Championship.
When I put a good swing on the ball, it goes. I had some balls that seemed to land around 265, roll out to 290 (based upon the range distances, wind in my face a little bit, but the grass has been shaved in prep for winter overseed, so the results are biased on the long side).
Cannot wait to get this out again, where there are wide open fairways and lots of grass. The desert is brutally penal, so I try to keep this club in check a bit.

Got out today for the 3rd straight day and had a great day driving the ball! I believe it's the first time in my life I played an entire round without a double bogey or worse! Had 7 pars and 11 bogeys and a big reason why is because I kept the ball in play all day. Wasn't great with my irons or putter but no big numbers is always great. Drained my last putt with the ball I teed off with on the first hole with which is really good for me at my home course. Not only that but the ball still looks brand new because I wasn't in trees or anything today. Hit 9/12 fairways. My 3 misses; 1 was chunked and didn't reach the fairway (I seem to be good for 1 a round lately) and 2 blocks to the right on a doglegs left. Both holes are virtually the same with OB/major trouble on the left and a lot of space on the right. I frequently find myself not fully releasing the club on these 2 holes and leaving it out to the right. Not an issue on either hole other than it makes it a little longer. Overall, really happy with the way I drove the ball. I continue to love the trajectory with this shaft. One drive of note was #14. It's a downhill hole and I absolutely crushed the ball about 15 yards further than I've ever been in my life on this hole. I had a slight breeze at my back but nothing to write home about. Just crushed it dead center. I shot the tee box with my rangefinder when I got to my ball and I hit it 304 yards (again, it is downhill)! Had a couple others that were great drives as well but this one was definitely my best. I don't know when I'll get out on the course again. Unfortunately I don't have any weekdays off for a little and my next few weekends are jam packed. Absolutely loving this shaft though and looking forward to a couple of the guys getting theirs today and sharing their thoughts!

I believe it's the first time in my life I played an entire round without a double bogey or worse!

That is the ultimate Stan The Sandbagger line right there.

Back